Brexit: Driver's 'illegal' ham sandwiches seized at Dutch border under EU rules

Started by papasmurf, January 12, 2021, 01:16:39 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

While we are on sandwiches, supermarket sandwich-supplier Bakkavor today reported 2020 revenues down 4.9% on 2019 after food-to-go sale volumes were hit by commuters working from home.

The firm — which makes sandwiches and salads for M&S and Tesco — reported a UK like-for-like sales slump of 5.3% in the year to December 26, while a huge fall in China sales during the pandemic saw revenues there hit by 21.6%.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/bakkavor-trading-update-2020-share-price-b894741.html
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on January 14, 2021, 06:07:43 PM
Blimey not only an expert on brexit but Scottish politics too Thomas,we are blessed to witness such political nous.
Puke

int it strange cromwell?

An irishman who never talks about ireland ?

Everything always from a uk perspective , and any time someone asks him a question about irish politics , he needs time to google the answer before directly replying?

He tells me he is in dublin , and when i asked him questions about a prominent well known dublin politician , he took days to answer.

I mean there are so many things cromwell i have caught him out over.

Read his posts and its a repertoire of lies deceit and outright bullshit coupled with turns and twists like a worm wriggling on a hook.

Reminds me of a certain tony blair worshipper we both formerly knew , who went on relenetlessly long after new labour had been booted out of power of what a demi god toy blair was even when most other labour supporters on our old forum didnt agree with him.

Now its brexit .

The ultimate self delusion of a warped individual.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on January 14, 2021, 05:33:07 PM
The SNP didn't vote to leave the EU, your adding 1+1 to make 3. 45%

Using the quote tags , show me where i said the snp voted to leave the eu. If you cant , then it shows yet again what a sad twisted bitter little man you are  .

Quote45% of Scots did vote to leave the UK, you thinking 100% of them wanted to leave the EU is not proven, or have you some fact on that ?

using the quote tags show me yet again where i said any of this?

I said 45 % of scots in 2014 voted to leave the uk. I also said those 45 % were told if they voted to leave the uk , it would mean scotland leaving the eu.

So what im getting at cleaerly is that for those 45 % , the chance of leaving the eu wasnt a priority or issue that was stopping them voting indy. Unlike you for whom eu membership and brexit is an obsession that obliterates all else.

I keep making the point eu membership isnt the be all and end all you hope it is.
what your doing is called making stuff up.

clearly everyone can see who the bullshitter is. You are the guy constantly coming on here , pretending to be irish , with an all consuming obsession about brexit to the exclusion of all else.

Then when challeneged , you tell us you dont want the uk back in the eu , despite the fact its all you talk about.

You are a sad delusional wee man , who has lost  , and continues to lose , and your so called machiavellian attack line regarding brexit has me in stitches. A wee spoilt only child stamping his feet in a tantrum for four half years cause people in the uk didnt support your divine worship of the eu , and voted out.

:D

Int democracy a barsteward gerry.
They were told leaving the UK would mean leaving the EU but that wasn't 100% true, the EU never said that, just lying English politicians.

QuoteJose Manuel Barroso in which the European Commission President said it would be "extremely difficult, if not impossible" for a separate Scotland to join the EU.

http://archive.vn/zZo4Y

stop telling lies gerry. Wether or not barrosso was correct or not isnt the point . The point is 45 % of scots took the chance because they couldnt give a feck about the EU. I was one of them.

QuoteA better way to look at it is 55% of Scots voted to remain in the EU

No gerry 62% of scots voted to remain in the eu. I was one of them. Stop twisting things and making things up.

The point again i keep making scots dont all share your worship of the eu . Its not an important issue for us at the minute , as brexit is done and dusted and the uk wont be rejoining anytime soon.

You must be sweating at the minute hopeing scotland and northern ireland wont leave the uk , and leave the english remain vote even more at the mercy of the overwhelming english leave majority .

:D

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on January 14, 2021, 06:07:43 PM
Blimey not only an expert on brexit but Scottish politics too Thomas,we are blessed to witness such political nous.
Puke

;D ;D ;D ;D I just couldn't help myself!

cromwell

Puke
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on January 14, 2021, 05:05:46 PM
That it was . Unlike you i took part in it so dont try and lecture me about something you never experienced.

The point is , scottish people were told if they voted to leave the uk , it would take them out the eu , and 45 % voted to leave anyway.

is that so?

Gerry , apparently in ireland , is an expert on scottish politics , as well as english , but just doesnt know much about irish?

Im not going to continually go over old ground time and again.

A third of snp voters voted to leave the eu , and snp supporters arent the yes movement.

There are many of us in scotland who dont support the eu , and listening to people like you , you merely encoruage the anti eu vote more and more with your rabid bile about brexit , and total disreagrd for democracy.

The vast moajority of snp supporters from 2019 supported england having democracy and leaving the eu ,and many of them would happily not join the eu to get out the uk so what are you talking about?
The SNP didn't vote to leave the EU, your adding 1+1 to make 3. 45% of Scots did vote to leave the UK, you thinking 100% of them wanted to leave the EU is not proven, or have you some fact on that ? what your doing is called making stuff up.

They were told leaving the UK would mean leaving the EU but that wasn't 100% true, the EU never said that, just lying English politicians.

So rather that relying on a vote about Scotland leaving the UK, have you anything that shows Scottish attitudes to the EU.

A better way to look at it is 55% of Scots voted to remain in the EU as a leave vote was a vote to leave the EU.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on January 14, 2021, 04:54:27 PM
It's all academic really, the people of Scotland will decide and that's exactly how it should be

we will , but by your own admission , like northern irealand , you just dont want scotland being indy just now , so you can try and use us as a stick to beat england with over brexit. ;D

`cept the english wont be held to ransom over their demcocratic vote to leave the eu , and have told you time and again , if scotland and the paddies in the 6 counties go , then thats up to us. They are staying out the eu.

;D

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on January 14, 2021, 04:54:27 PM
You have that abit twisted, the vote in 2014 wasn't a leave EU vote. It was leave the UK vote.

That it was . Unlike you i took part in it so dont try and lecture me about something you never experienced.

The point is , scottish people were told if they voted to leave the uk , it would take them out the eu , and 45 % voted to leave anyway.

QuoteMaybe you can explain the SNP support and their drive to rejoin the EU after they leave the UK.

is that so?

Gerry , apparently in ireland , is an expert on scottish politics , as well as english , but just doesnt know much about irish?

Im not going to continually go over old ground time and again.

A third of snp voters voted to leave the eu , and snp supporters arent the yes movement.

There are many of us in scotland who dont support the eu , and listening to people like you , you merely encoruage the anti eu vote more and more with your rabid bile about brexit , and total disreagrd for democracy.

The vast moajority of snp supporters from 2019 supported england having democracy and leaving the eu ,and many of them would happily not join the eu to get out the uk so what are you talking about?

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on January 14, 2021, 04:38:08 PM
who cares?

45 % of scotland voted to leabe the uk , and the possibility of leaving the eu in 2014 , and i was one fomthem. I couldnt give a shit about joining the eu.

no im not. This is happening anyway with or without brexit.

I dont think the eu should continue either , in fact im largely growing as anti eu as i am uk as the days pass.

Sorry to break it to you mr concern troll , but really brexit isnt an issue for most people. no one cares.
You have that abit twisted, the vote in 2014 wasn't a leave EU vote. It was leave the UK vote. One of the arguments put forward to try persuade Scotland to stay in the UK was that a leave vote would also mean leaving the EU, which the English knew this is not what the majority of Scots want.
aMaybe you can explain the SNP support and their drive to rejoin the EU after they leave the UK. It's all academic really, the people of Scotland will decide and that's exactly how it should be

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on January 14, 2021, 04:20:03 PM
When it gets that it can decide to stay out or look to join the EU, but I think the EU would look very favourable on Scotland joining.

who cares?

45 % of scotland voted to leabe the uk , and the possibility of leaving the eu in 2014 , and i was one fomthem. I couldnt give a shit about joining the eu.

QuoteYour missing my point, the longer Brexit goes on the more Scots will vote SNP and the more Scots will vote yes in a indy vote.

no im not. This is happening anyway with or without brexit.

I dont think the eu should continue either , in fact im largely growing as anti eu as i am uk as the days pass.

Sorry to break it to you mr concern troll , but really brexit isnt an issue for most people. no one cares.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on January 14, 2021, 04:20:03 PM
I don't see why you think I want the UK or England back,

what the feck are you incessantly doing on here then screaming brexit for england/uk bad?

Stope it nooo gerry pleaseez!

We all know you are honest as the day is long , and really are irish , and are merely a concerned neighbour worrying about how england and the uk is going to tie its shoelaces after leaving the eu.

You really are such a caring soul.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on January 14, 2021, 03:14:11 PM
I have no idea where you get this from.
Keir starmer , as i said outside the london woke middle class is being attacked left right and centre.
The left hate him , scotland hates him , the northern english and wider english brexiters can't stand him , and essentially he is a pro remain blairite making the same mistakes as milliband did beofre corbyn.
Its all fine and dandy coming on a political forum moanng about brexit , you have to have a party that will channel remain and take the uk or at least england back in and i dont see it anywhere at present.
Starmers tactics so far have been clueless and inept , essentially hes hoping the tories feck things up and the voters turn back to him and new labour.
I dont see it happening.
I don't see why you think I want the UK or England back, the pain for the EU is setting up new procedures post brexit and finding new supply lines for each EU country. This will be sorted in the next yr so what advantage would it be having a unwilling partner back in the EU. I don't see the UK joining for a minimum of 30yrs and most likely over 50. Nobody wants a member with a superiority complex and destructive nature.

No it isnt.
Uk wide , and england wide , labour are your only hope. Neither the snp or any other "celtic " nations political parties can bring the uk or england back into the eu.
I mean Labour in Scotland is irrelavent, UK Labour will be gone and Scotland will have parties only concerned with Scotland's future and hopefully as an independent country. When it gets that it can decide to stay out or look to join the EU, but I think the EU would look very favourable on Scotland joining.

sorry what planet are you on here?
People in scotland want out the uk , many dont care about brexit.
If brexit uk wide  was an issue , then why didnt scotland vote labour at the last election to stop the tories enacting brexit?
I wont vote for joining the eu if scotland becomes indy and the snp offer a referendum on joining. At the moment  , im looking at norway style , or out. Im leaning towards out of the eu due to people like you . Brexit is a non issue for the indy supporters , and maybe it might sway a small amount of undecideds at best.
The point I'm alluding to is brexit is going to continue to hurt, Johnson is going to continue to lie and say it's a great achievement and Johnson is going to continue to look after England's interest at the expense of Scotland, NI and Wales. This is how I see the SNP gaining more support as brexit continues to unfold. I do think as Brexit hits Scots they will say what are we doing following this crowd of muppet's (England).
Like I say the EU would look favourably on Scotland rejoining, or if Scotland were to look for CETA or Canada or any other form of bespoke agreement.

Honestly gerry , how london centric a viewpoint of you !
You dont have a clue  , neither you do.
Scottish indy will be settled either way for the next decade or so long before the uk or scotland rejoins the eu , so if you are pinning hopes on sturgeon to hold the uk together while the british remain team get their act toghether , i think you are in a for a shock.
Your missing my point, the longer Brexit goes on the more Scots will vote SNP and the more Scots will vote yes in a indy vote.  I don't think I will see the UK rejoining the EU in my life time and my kids probably won't either, and their only 19 !
I have no wish for the UK to rejoin, I would have wanted them to stay in the first place and said only for all the leave lies they may have. A very close vote in the first place, but there is no going back from here. The UK is out and that's where it will stay. Anyway to rejoin the UK would have to adopt the Euro, it's approx 5b a yr rebate would vanish, it would be joining Schengen and all the opt outs would disappear. It would also have to accept it were only another member just like the rest and not some superpower in the EU ruling things, not that it ever was but that sort of attitude wouldn't be wanted.

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 14, 2021, 02:47:16 PM
The majority of scottish people think england   should get brexit as the majority democratically voted for it.
Honestly gerry , your delusion knows no bounds.
Brexit wont be the break up of the uk , it is merely a symptom of the long term decline , which started a hundred years ago with ireland , and the break up of the uk is no cause to force the english people back into the eu .
As i said up ythe page , no one is eve ntalking about brexit due to covid , and as for northern ireland , the majority couldnt care less as i have shown time and again over the years.
Do the Scottish not also think they should have remained in the EU because that's what the Scots voted for, same logic.
Brexit will be the breakup of the UK, because more Scots will vote for independence, not because they want to join the EU but because they will want rid of England and their constant sucking dry of any country in it's union.
I keep saying brexit won't force the English back into the EU and the English will have to decide if that's what they want, and they won't.
People may not be talking about brexit, Covid is a massive issue for all countries. But when people start seeing on top of Covid that they are losing their job and supermarket shelves are emptying or all the other little things are happening they will start to look, when it affects them directly.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on January 14, 2021, 02:16:48 PM
No I meant for the UK's sake it would be best if Brexit didn't become a major issue considering the scale of Covid at the moment.

I think Starmer is making all the right moves, he's supporting Johnson but making it clear it's a conservative Brexit and the outcome is down to Johnson.

I have no idea where you get this from.

Keir starmer , as i said outside the london woke middle class is being attacked left right and centre.

The left hate him , scotland hates him , the northern english and wider english brexiters can't stand him , and essentially he is a pro remain blairite making the same mistakes as milliband did beofre corbyn.

Its all fine and dandy coming on a political forum moanng about brexit , you have to have a party that will channel remain and take the uk or at least england back in and i dont see it anywhere at present.

Starmers tactics so far have been clueless and inept , essentially hes hoping the tories feck things up and the voters turn back to him and new labour.

I dont see it happening.

QuoteLabours position is irrelevant because,

No it isnt.

Uk wide , and england wide , labour are your only hope. Neither the snp or any other "celtic " nations political parties can bring the uk or england back into the eu.

Quoteagain with Brexit the SNP popularity rises.

sorry what planet are you on here?

People in scotland want out the uk , many dont care about brexit.

If brexit uk wide  was an issue , then why didnt scotland vote labour at the last election to stop the tories enacting brexit?

I wont vote for joining the eu if scotland becomes indy and the snp offer a referendum on joining. At the moment  , im looking at norway style , or out. Im leaning towards out of the eu due to people like you . Brexit is a non issue for the indy supporters , and maybe it might sway a small amount of undecideds at best.
but not this yr, Sturgeon is smart and knows the support for the SNP doesn't directly translate into people wanting to leave the UK, so it could be a couple of yrs before she calls for a vote on it.

Honestly gerry , how london centric a viewpoint of you ! :D

You dont have a clue  , neither you do.

Scottish indy will be settled either way for the next decade or so long before the uk or scotland rejoins the eu , so if you are pinning hopes on sturgeon to hold the uk together while the british remain team get their act toghether , i think you are in a for a shock.

QuoteThis video clip shows how his warped view of reality will drive a bigger wedge between Scotland and England.

The majority of scottish people think england   should get brexit as the majority democratically voted for it.

Honestly gerry , your delusion knows no bounds.

Brexit wont be the break up of the uk , it is merely a symptom of the long term decline , which started a hundred years ago with ireland , and the break up of the uk is no cause to force the english people back into the eu .

As i said up ythe page , no one is eve ntalking about brexit due to covid , and as for northern ireland , the majority couldnt care less as i have shown time and again over the years.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on January 13, 2021, 02:51:13 PM
There could be more to it than we think.

Could it be that the EU has started to unravel as a result of Brexit and the hungry customs officials are now reduced to stealing British lorry drivers sandwiches to feed themselves and their families?

You mean like Nigeria where the customs men queue up and say "do you have anything for me, sir" and 50 USD (to each of them) usually sorted it (1992 prices,)
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on January 14, 2021, 01:24:50 PMLets hope what stays what way? Covid?
No I meant for the UK's sake it would be best if Brexit didn't become a major issue considering the scale of Covid at the moment.

Quote from: Thomas on January 14, 2021, 01:24:50 PM
Covid will come and go and the world will move on.
Your only hope of england , or the uk re entering the eu is for keir starmers labour to win and become the uk government in 2024.
So what do you think the chances of that are gerry?
Latest poll out today has scotland on 57% for indy , labour stuggling badly with keir starmer extremely disliked in scotland  , and seen as another blairite.
Remember , it was the blairites under murphy and milliband who eventually wiped labour out , not jeremy corbyn. So scotlands 40 / 50 labour seats of yesterday look long gone for starmer.

Couple that with the shoogly peg he is on in northern england , where many folk have long memories of labour and starmer disrespecting  their brexit vote , and labour are left with the middle class champagne socialists around london.
I think starmer might get 240 seats at best looking at things at present next general election.
I would be very surprised if england/uk rejoined the eu in the next decade , but thats just my take.
If brexit starts going tits up as you say , farage and the tories will simply blame the eu and attitudes will harden in england further against your euro empire.
So i know you are hopefully project fear and new new labour under starmer might wear the english down , but my money is against you gerry.

I think Starmer is making all the right moves, he's supporting Johnson but making it clear it's a conservative Brexit and the outcome is down to Johnson. When someone is standing on their own feet and shooting themselves in the head its best not to interrupt them, Starmer's popularity will increase if things get harder for people on the ground with Brexit, Starmer only has to play a waiting game.

Labours position is irrelevant because, again with Brexit the SNP popularity rises. I can see an independence vote happening, but not this yr, Sturgeon is smart and knows the support for the SNP doesn't directly translate into people wanting to leave the UK, so it could be a couple of yrs before she calls for a vote on it.
This sort of admission doesn't help England's attempts to keep the union together, Fisheries minister didn't read the trade deal because she was organising a local nativity trail
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/po...y-trail/14/01/
Meanwhile Johnson is out on his Lying campaign, saying NI ha no issues with trucks and getting food and trucks not going through wales-dublin is a sign that brexit is a great success. This video clip shows how his warped view of reality will drive a bigger wedge between Scotland and England.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/truckers-bypassing-holyhead-dublin-route-19621056
The reality is shipping companies are moving their ships away from IRL-UK routes and moving them to IRL-EU routes as there is such little traffic between IRL and UK.
Why ?  simply put people are going around the UK but also trucks trying to get from/to the UK from/to IRL are being greatly delayed, which is why NI is experiencing food shortages in supermarkets and their trade is being disrupted. Like IRL did over the past 4 yrs, NI will soon find suppliers and customers on the main land and will just bypass the UK, brexit is proving to be very difficult to do business with the UK.
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/northern-ireland-supermarket-shortages-issues-19608473