Good riddance to this evil woman, Lisa.

Started by Barry, January 14, 2021, 04:18:43 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on January 16, 2021, 10:24:28 AM
Given he circumstances John I think a full life term is appropriate.

given what i know, i agree, but if labour get in, he will be out. it's what they do
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on January 21, 2021, 04:09:51 PM
Smurf is a bit of a weird one. All lefty on most issues, especially welfare, but suddenly morphs into a far right extremist when it comes to law and order and immigration.

Thats about one of the few things we agree on steve.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on January 16, 2021, 10:09:48 AM
Just pondering what should be the fate of assassins real,imagined ,planned or the advocates of minefields around our coasts along with machine gun emplacements ,helicopter gunships to deter visitors?
Smurf is a bit of a weird one. All lefty on most issues, especially welfare, but suddenly morphs into a far right extremist when it comes to law and order and immigration.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

HDQQ

Firstly I am against capital punishment.

Having said that, in the USA they do have capital punishment and, against that backdrop, I can't see any reason why this woman should have been spared. If she was reprieved, then most others on death row would surely qualify for a reprieve too.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on January 16, 2021, 11:39:56 AM
I am a very compassionate person. But  some people the World is better off without.
State sanctioned murder of convicted wrongdoers is a dodgy business once one considers all the miscarriages of justice known to have occurred in the past. It would be both complacent and arrogant in the extreme to assume that miscarriages never happen anymore. And if one accepts that they sometimes still might, then support for any death penalty de facto means acceptance of the likelihood of innocent people being put to death in our name.

Well not in my name, thank you very much.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on January 16, 2021, 11:36:09 AM
If your understanding and compassion in these cases resolves in death, then it is an understanding and compassion foreign to me.

I am a very compassionate person. But  some people the World is better off without.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf on January 16, 2021, 10:47:59 AM
I have usually found doing that is why I am in favour of the death penalty.

If your understanding and compassion in these cases resolves in death, then it is an understanding and compassion foreign to me.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on January 16, 2021, 10:35:42 AM
understanding for the perpetrator, as well as the victim.

I have usually found doing that is why I am in favour of the death penalty.

Nalaar

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 16, 2021, 10:03:17 AMI am guessing Nick did not lose anyone to McVeigh and can therefore like you only see one side of the equation

Seeing both sides of the equation necessitates compassion, and understanding for the perpetrator, as well as the victim. I completely understand why this is an unpopular opinion, but I think it is telling that your example 'Nick didn't lose anyone to McVeigh' would be highly prejudicial - emotionally involving someone in a situation when clear minds are needed.
Don't believe everything you think.

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 16, 2021, 10:19:49 AM

Oh I expect him to be released as an act of policy by a labour government.
Given he circumstances John I think a full life term is appropriate.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 16, 2021, 10:19:49 AM

Why are you so sure, given the incompetence of the current Home Office.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52334848#:~:text=A%20government%20scheme%20to%20release,institution%20in%20south%2Deast%20London.

Coronavirus: Early prison release scheme suspended after errors
Published18 April 2020

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on January 16, 2021, 10:13:22 AM
That he will be let out, with the excuse being it happened by accident. (Usual excuse from the Home Office in recent years.)

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on January 16, 2021, 10:09:48 AM
Just pondering what should be the fate of assassins real,imagined ,planned or the advocates of minefields around our coasts along with machine gun emplacements ,helicopter gunships to deter visitors?

The ones proven in a court of law to have acted in this manner, once found guilty, should be sentenced by a judge. All I ask is that death by hanging be added to the various penalties a judge has available to choose from as he sees fit, subject to his suitability as a judge being open to review should his sentencing policy seem unduly lenient.....

anything else (apart from the fact i will volunteer to pull the lever on a few such myself) would be illegal, surely

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 16, 2021, 10:09:42 AM

what ? that he won't be let out ?  The lobbying has already started

That he will be let out, with the excuse being it happened by accident. (Usual excuse from the Home Office in recent years.)

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?