A perfect political party

Started by T00ts, January 15, 2021, 09:49:11 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis on January 15, 2021, 10:05:25 AM
"Shut up paysans; accept one's lot in life, be deferential to your leaders & elders and Do Not Question them."

That just says that having leaders is a waste of time. No man is an island, to live as a society is to have rules and obligations to all.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on January 15, 2021, 09:49:11 AM
A perfect political party? What is that? So often I see reference to the 'disaster' that is the current government, but then show me a government that isn't a disaster either on election or at some point in it's lifetime. Why do we expect politicians and thus their Party to be some sort of magical be all and end all? Why do we expect any challenges to be sorted out pretty much before they have occurred? For example, why oh why do some expect the current health and economical challenges to disappear so that they can 'return to normal'?

Politicians are human beings just like everyone else. They don't have all the answers and life is always trial and error. Why would we expect anything different? We are in an unprecedented situation. The upheaval through our leaving the EU, the chaos in America, the pandemic and the resultant economic damage in an effort to save life would put any Government into the worst possible position and yet so many have little patience or empathy with the current dilemma facing us.

Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, Green, SNP, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all  would make little difference to where we currently are. A coalition? You must be joking! Show me a perfect Government and I'll show you a crock of gold at the end of the rainbow!

There can never be such a thing.

As I have said in other threads, back when no woman had a vote, and only one in 20 men met the forty shilling freeholder land ownership qualification, one voted to send to Westminster one who would, while there, use their best judgement to govern, or loyally oppose as a front bencher, or merely vote as a backbencher, on bills and other issues in the way they best judged would serve the voters best interests.

There is in Newport Museum a complete copy of the Monmouthshire Merlin open at a full page advert placed by Monmouth's successful MP thanking "the gentry and the clergy" for giving him their votes.....

And that was after the great Reform Act.

The job of Their Majesty's Prime Minister, who need not themselves be an elected member of the commons, is to accept Their Majesty's instruction to go to the palace of Westminster and there attempt to form from those elected, a government to govern in Their Majesty's name.

A system bereft of political parties would force Prospective MPs to campaign on issues and do their own campaigning and fund raising

On arrival at Westminster it would be necessary to declare ones views and determine others. The Prime Minister would then have to cherry pick from those declarations...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

A perfect political party? What is that?

One that keeps out of the way.

Politicians are like my walking stick. Useful, but remarkably similar and easily replaced and I can't see any reason why I should show them any more regard than any other household item such as the loo brush.
Algerie Francais !

Borg Refinery

"Shut up paysans; accept one's lot in life, be deferential to your leaders & elders and Do Not Question them."
+++

papasmurf

Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, Green, SNP, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all  would make little difference to where we currently are. A coalition? You must be joking! Show me a perfect Government and I'll show you a crock of gold at the end of the rainbow!

Sorry but the Tories are the only ones to be so bloody incompetent and unprepared for the trade deal consequences with the EU.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

A perfect political party? What is that? So often I see reference to the 'disaster' that is the current government, but then show me a government that isn't a disaster either on election or at some point in it's lifetime. Why do we expect politicians and thus their Party to be some sort of magical be all and end all? Why do we expect any challenges to be sorted out pretty much before they have occurred? For example, why oh why do some expect the current health and economical challenges to disappear so that they can 'return to normal'?

Politicians are human beings just like everyone else. They don't have all the answers and life is always trial and error. Why would we expect anything different? We are in an unprecedented situation. The upheaval through our leaving the EU, the chaos in America, the pandemic and the resultant economic damage in an effort to save life would put any Government into the worst possible position and yet so many have little patience or empathy with the current dilemma facing us.