The end of paid holidays ?

Started by johnofgwent, January 17, 2021, 11:34:16 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on January 18, 2021, 09:45:05 AM

In my experience I am still free to work as many hours as I want. I simply cannot be forced to work more than 48 against my will. Good, I say. And I oppose any removal of it. I voted against Brexit precisely because I knew it would leave such rights at the mercy of a Tory government.

Quite, before my wife had to retire early from nursing in a nursing home due to ill health she had several time due to the changes of ownership refuse to sign away her rights not to work more than 48 hours.  (She actually told them which orifice to stick that idea up.)

She would have worked more than 48 hours in an emergency, but would not accept being forced to do so.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: Thomas on January 18, 2021, 08:47:22 AM

I remember when the working time directive came in john , i was working in the print industry and the unions were ranting about not working more than an average 48 hour week.

They soon shut up when they saw how deeply unpopular among the shop floor guys  it was , who regualrly relied on overtime to boost wages.

In my experience as a money grabbing employee, the working time directive has never prevented me from choosing to work more than 48 hours if my employer is willing to offer me the work. What it does is prevents my employer from forcing me to or making excessive hours above this level contractual. As someone forced to sign up to a contracted 60 hour week in the 80s, I see virtue in that.

In my experience I am still free to work as many hours as I want. I simply cannot be forced to work more than 48 against my will. Good, I say. And I oppose any removal of it. I voted against Brexit precisely because I knew it would leave such rights at the mercy of a Tory government.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 18, 2021, 09:06:42 AM

Well, I think we need to separate out the WTD and the issue of excessive employee hours (which will be an issue IF they erase it from UK law and do not at the same time beef up our HSE to prevent excessive hours) from this bullshit about paid holidays which as I found were written into UK law before the ETD existed and consolidated in the 1996 Act.

Frankly, unless there is protest about it, the Tories under pressure from big business will throw all employee rights into the bin
The only real threat to them doing that is the EU will block UK imports because undermining of employee rights will be seen to be unfair competition.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on January 18, 2021, 07:51:58 AM
Actually it was leaked to the press and it is a very real threat to workers rights. (I predicted this years ago as a post Brexit emergent property.)

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/workers-rights-and-the-new-eu-withdrawal-agreement-bill/

This link is unfortunately pay walled:-
https://www.ft.com/content/55588f86-a4f8-4cf3-aecb-38723b787569

UK workers' rights at risk in plans to rip up EU labour market rules

Well, I think we need to separate out the WTD and the issue of excessive employee hours (which will be an issue IF they erase it from UK law and do not at the same time beef up our HSE to prevent excessive hours) from this bullshit about paid holidays which as I found were written into UK law before the ETD existed and consolidated in the 1996 Act.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 17, 2021, 11:34:16 PM
Arsebook is currently awash with stories from left leaning pressure groups whingeing that employees paid holidays will become a thing of the past when some Tory minister takes a machete to the Working Time Directive.

My suspicions that this is the latest Project Fear were aroused by claims no one had guaranteed paid annual leave prior to the adoption of the EU mandated working time directive.

Well I suppose if I were a member of the Bollox To Brexit group I would day that.

The problem is, it's a lie.

The EU rolled out the WTD writing into law the need to give employees 4 weeks paid holiday in 1998.

The problem is that a full two years prior to that, the UK gave Royal Assent to the Employment Rights Act 1996. Amongst the various things that put into law was the right of employees to receive give point six weeks paid leave. Although that sounds more generous than the EU WTD I suspect our 1996 law rolled bank holidays into the mix, so the actual entitlement to non bank holiday leave is the same.

I recall this because back then I was still an MD of my own outfit and I recall getting some ministry Leaflet on this, Britain then not yet having been destroyed by devolution and still one sovereign state ...

The 1996 Act has been amended to reflect changes like the WTD which as we all know did rather more than just set leave entitlement.

But if as promised Bojo's Commission unravels EU law entwined in UK law, it will leave us Inthe 1996 position of still having 28 days.

Because the minister days nothing about repealing the 1996 UK act.

I remember when the working time directive came in john , i was working in the print industry and the unions were ranting about not working more than an average 48 hour week.

They soon shut up when they saw how deeply unpopular among the shop floor guys  it was , who regualrly relied on overtime to boost wages.

As you say , its just more of the same bleating from the same arseholes who have been bleating for the last 5 years. Keir starmer seems to think sending out the attack dogs to carry on project fear post brexit is going to force a change of heart and give him a road to power in 2024.

I dont think the public are going to easily forgive a man who pissed on their vote whilst hiding in parliament for years until their patience ran out in the last GE.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 17, 2021, 11:34:16 PM

My suspicions that this is the latest Project Fear were aroused by claims no one had guaranteed paid annual leave prior to the adoption of the EU mandated working time directive.

Actually it was leaked to the press and it is a very real threat to workers rights. (I predicted this years ago as a post Brexit emergent property.)

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/workers-rights-and-the-new-eu-withdrawal-agreement-bill/

This link is unfortunately pay walled:-
https://www.ft.com/content/55588f86-a4f8-4cf3-aecb-38723b787569

UK workers' rights at risk in plans to rip up EU labour market rules

johnofgwent

Arsebook is currently awash with stories from left leaning pressure groups whingeing that employees paid holidays will become a thing of the past when some Tory minister takes a machete to the Working Time Directive.

Well I suppose if I were a member of the Bollox To Brexit group I would day that.

The problem is, it's a lie.

The EU rolled out the WTD writing into law the need to give employees 4 weeks paid holiday in 1998.

The problem is that a full two years prior to that, the UK gave Royal Assent to the Employment Rights Act 1996. Amongst the various things that put into law was the right of employees to receive give point six weeks paid leave. Although that sounds more generous than the EU WTD I suspect our 1996 law rolled bank holidays into the mix, so the actual entitlement to non bank holiday leave is the same.

I recall this because back then I was still an MD of my own outfit and I recall getting some ministry Leaflet on this, Britain then not yet having been destroyed by devolution and still one sovereign state ...

The 1996 Act has been amended to reflect changes like the WTD which as we all know did rather more than just set leave entitlement.

But if as promised Bojo's Commission unravels EU law entwined in UK law, it will leave us Inthe 1996 position of still having 28 days.

Because the minister days nothing about repealing the 1996 UK act.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>