SKY NewsReplacing Universal Credit increase with one-off payment a 'terrible' idea, Labour says

Started by GBNews, January 19, 2021, 07:15:24 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2021, 09:06:34 PM
minimum the minimum wage has increased ....

for the last year or so, Minimum wage rises have outstripped other in the low waged economy because employers want to keep the workforce on the breadline
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2021, 11:02:45 AMThe crap jobs themselves need to be better paid and/or more generous welfare top ups are needed for the working poor, to eliminate poverty.

You really don't get it do you...

A crap job as you call it is low paid because that is what the industry can afford. If the wage goes up disproportionately, the price of the product has to go up. Seeing that not everyone's wage will go up it is in affect a wage cut for the others as they face higher prices in the high street.

It's like the statement that nurses haven't had a decent pay rise in 5 years, maybe not but they will have had a couple of pay band increases. The lefties always exclude that fact.

BTW, minimum the minimum wage has increased more under the Tories than it did in the 10 years of Labour. All the things that Labour complain about could be addressed whilst in office but they never do.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

This is what labour often tell us steve...

and when push comes to shove...

QuoteThe government's brutal, monstrous welfare reform bill passed its second reading in the Commons tonight by 308 votes to 124, meaning that somewhere in the region of 80% of Labour MPs abstained on it.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-end-of-irony/

When it comes to the labour party , especially blairites like starmer , screaming about tory attacks on welfare, we see their bark is far worse than their bite , and when pushed , do little to stop the tories .

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2021, 11:02:45 AM
That tired old chestnut you are hinting at here. It's the poor's own fault for being poor, they don't work hard enough etc.

Blame the poor for their own poverty, the easiest moral escape course going.

The millions of crap low paid jobs will still be there needing some poor saps to do them. If everyone went to college or uni and got more qualifications it would not change that. Better educated poor people with even bigger debts is what you'd end up with.

The crap jobs themselves need to be better paid and/or more generous welfare top ups are needed for the working poor, to eliminate poverty.

Blaming the poor themselves is too easy and doesn't cut it.

...and that tired old chestnut from labour , screaming about welfare  to bolster their growing irrelevance and give the party brownie points.

Headline in the thread looks good at first glance , labour screaming about protecting the poor , but what happens when we scratch labours parliamentary record in defending the poor against the "evil tories " attack on welfare?

We come up with gems like this...

How when push comes to shove , labour are merely the red cheek of the westmisnter party arse who over the last ten years have enabled tory policy to smash those on welfare.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on January 19, 2021, 07:40:05 PM
And this is because they went to school, college and Uni, worked really really hard and have just been unlucky?
That tired old chestnut you are hinting at here. It's the poor's own fault for being poor, they don't work hard enough etc.

Blame the poor for their own poverty, the easiest moral escape course going.

The millions of crap low paid jobs will still be there needing some poor saps to do them. If everyone went to college or uni and got more qualifications it would not change that. Better educated poor people with even bigger debts is what you'd end up with.

The crap jobs themselves need to be better paid and/or more generous welfare top ups are needed for the working poor, to eliminate poverty.

Blaming the poor themselves is too easy and doesn't cut it.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on January 19, 2021, 06:03:33 PM
You do know that a majority of UC claimants are working, right? They just happen to be paid crap wages or have insecure contracts. This extra money is a godsend to low paid workers and should not be taken away.

And as for anyone out of work, UC for a single person is still little more than £90 a week plus rent paid, though not all in many cases. That is hardly high living. Even with the extra £20 a week.

I doubt very much whether any of the right wing jerk circle around here could manage on it.

Oneof the biggest impacts on low paid workers during new labours thirteen years in office from 1997 - 2010 was the massive rise in the cost of living steve .This is a large part of what is hampering the living standards of low paid workers today.

Im running out of time this morning to post further , but can i just add i hope you continue to post on this forum steve. Despite what you think , i have no personal malice towards you , i just dont like much of your politics.

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on January 19, 2021, 02:58:35 PM
It is a terrible idea precisely because £500 is a lot less than £20 per week per annum, and is not in the form of a steady income.

But this forum is something of a jerk circle for right wingers, so if any notice at all is taken, it will be negative I am sure.

I skimmed the article so forgive me if i missed anything , but what is labours proposal?

I know we can barely get starmer to tell us a single policy , but from memory the last time pre corbyn that the blairites were in pwoer over your party , in an effort to woo middle englands small c tories , they were promising to be tougher on benefits than the conservatives?

So it looks like another fence sitting tough topic for starmer........gets all profligate about benefits he pisses off middelengland......gets all tough in benefits he pisses off the left.

Streetwalker

You do know that a majority of UC claimants are working, right? They just happen to be paid crap wages or have insecure contracts. This extra money is a godsend to low paid workers and should not be taken away.

And as for anyone out of work, UC for a single person is still little more than £90 a week plus rent paid, though not all in many cases. That is hardly high living. Even with the extra £20 a week.

I doubt very much whether any of the right wing jerk circle around here could manage on it.

What claimants get or dont get is another matter as is whether any of us could  manage on it .  The issue here is should an extra payment  that was given in good faith to help during the pandemic continue .

cromwell

Well citing right wing jerk circle is an easy jibe to make (and before you say,yes all sides do it) bit like all the 50 inch tv sky etc as in all those easy jibes there's some truth.

Would a change of govt make any difference? I doubt it and before long all the ills this country will face will no doubt be heaped on the folly (in some people's eyes of brexit) the fact that other nations will be facing similar problems will be ignored.

Covid19 has brought a unique set of circumstance to the world,we've had and have the deniers and all those in between to panic.

Fact is though the world has had a bloody nose,here in this country a price has to be paid and along the way there will be injustices both real or perceived.

And so the recriminations will begin,still it's what keeps this place alive.  :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 19, 2021, 06:03:33 PMThey just happen to be paid crap wages or have insecure contracts

And this is because they went to school, college and Uni, worked really really hard and have just been unlucky?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 19, 2021, 05:21:59 PM
I wont disappoint you srb . The £20 extra was to help out families during the pandemic with added costs during the pandemic . Seeing as the government had its arm held behind its back with  regard to kids not at school getting school diners   (exactly the sort of thing the score was supposed to cover ) they will be ending it in April . If claimants get a lump sum as suggested  they should be thankful .

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 19, 2021, 05:21:59 PM
If claimants get a lump sum as suggested  they should be thankful .

Claimants are never thankful.

This why we need Pappy
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on January 19, 2021, 02:58:35 PM
It is a terrible idea precisely because £500 is a lot less than £20 per week per annum, and is not in the form of a steady income.

But this forum is something of a jerk circle for right wingers, so if any notice at all is taken, it will be negative I am sure.

I wont disappoint you srb . The £20 extra was to help out families during the pandemic with added costs during the pandemic . Seeing as the government had its arm held behind its back with  regard to kids not at school getting school diners   (exactly the sort of thing the score was supposed to cover ) they will be ending it in April . If claimants get a lump sum as suggested  they should be thankful .

srb7677

Quote from: News on January 19, 2021, 07:15:24 AM
Replacing Universal Credit increase with one-off payment a 'terrible' idea, Labour says

Replacing the £20-a-week increase in Universal Credit with a one-off payment of £500 is a "terrible" idea, Labour has said.

Source: Replacing Universal Credit increase with one-off payment a 'terrible' idea, Labour says