Will the UK really refuse trade deals over human rights?

Started by GBNews, January 20, 2021, 01:01:46 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on February 18, 2021, 08:39:29 AM
Maybe mate what would stop people crossing continents to improve lives would be the fact if both westmisnter and washington stopped destabilising countries such as iran, iraq and libya to name but a few and after triumphantly declaring they have made a peace by removing people like gaddafi and hussein , they have left a desert and internecine war that the ordinary person wants to flee from.

Indeed those countries seem in a worse place now than they ever did under the despots that were removed under the so called regime change . Where we used to get a few minority groups seeking asylum we now get what seems whole nations crossing continents and turning up on our doorstep .
We do seem to have stopped bombing people though which bodes well for the future .

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 20, 2021, 10:00:39 PM

This of course would also maybe mean a few of them would remain where they are instead of crossing continents to improve their  lives

Maybe mate what would stop people crossing continents to improve lives would be the fact if both westmisnter and washington stopped destabilising countries such as iran, iraq and libya to name but a few and after triumphantly declaring they have made a peace by removing people like gaddafi and hussein , they have left a desert and internecine war that the ordinary person wants to flee from.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 20, 2021, 09:48:45 PM
Better Question:

"Why should we"

I know I probably buy something every week that is cheaper than it should be due to some poor bugger toiling for peanuts in sub human conditions . Their is also some tosser living the life of Riley on the same purchase .

Maybe if we have a bit more of a conscience nationally when striking deals we can get them to meet somewhere in the middle  .

This of course would also maybe mean a few of them would remain where they are instead of crossing continents to improve their  lives

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on January 20, 2021, 03:59:53 PM
...and you know where the line of thought in the article is leading dont you.........

Brexit bad. Tories violating human rights to shore up dodgy trade deals , we should never have left the eu blah blah blah.

:D

Now the fish story is dead in the water , wonder whats next on the muck raking agenda of the remoaners.

Well as you have  reminded us regarding the Catalonians maybe we shouldn't be making dodgy deals with the EU . Oops we already have  ;D

Thomas

...and you know where the line of thought in the article is leading dont you.........

Brexit bad. Tories violating human rights to shore up dodgy trade deals , we should never have left the eu blah blah blah.

:D

Now the fish story is dead in the water , wonder whats next on the muck raking agenda of the remoaners.

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 20, 2021, 03:36:22 PM
I would like to say it would

The whole world has to be in on it though or we are wasting our time .  Union Flag

human rights on the face of it streetwalker sounds all cosy and loveable , but the fact of the matter is human rights are ripped up time and again across the world when it suits , and are merely used as a beating stick by certain western nations to bring others in to line when the need arises.

The article mentions how the western world massively trades with the chinese despite human rights violations as we have seen , or the uk government being in the dock for selling arms for years to the saudis , or it wasnt that long ago pedro was beating catalonians and violating human rights in spain while the eu and others largely stood by and ignored it.

I support human rights as does any right thinking human being , but as you say in your last sentence , we are largely wasting our time.

Sorry mate as i get older im getting far too cynical as time goes by.

Streetwalker

I would like to say it would

The whole world has to be in on it though or we are wasting our time .  Union Flag

GBNews

Will the UK really refuse trade deals over human rights?

The government is being scrutinised over trade deals with countries with poor human rights records.

Source: Will the UK really refuse trade deals over human rights?