Bye-bye EU, hello CPTPP.

Started by HDQQ, January 31, 2021, 10:23:45 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: HDQQ on January 31, 2021, 10:23:45 AM
Bye-bye EU, hello CPTPP.

So the UK is thinking of joining a trade pact with 11 other countries, all on the 'Pacific Rim'. Apparently if we join we would be expected to adhere to CPTPP regulations, although not strictly 100%. If we join the CPTPP, we'd be the second largest economy within it, just as we were in the EU. I haven't seen anything about how much it would cost us to join or whether there would be annual payments. Given our track record over the EU, it wouldn't surprise me if we're turned down by the CPTPP - also we're hardly part of the Pacific Rim anyway. Our trade with the 11 countries in the CPTPP is only a tiny fraction compared to our trade with the EU. And just suppose we join the CPTPP and a couple of years down the line they start talking about 'ever greater union'!
Is there a vaccine for illogical remainers,yes there probably is.........but Brussels slapped an export ban on it :P :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

HDQQ

Bye-bye EU, hello CPTPP. (Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership)

So the UK is thinking of joining a trade pact with 11 other countries, all on the 'Pacific Rim'. Apparently if we join we would be expected to adhere to CPTPP regulations, although not strictly 100%. If we join the CPTPP, we'd be the second largest economy within it, just as we were in the EU. I haven't seen anything about how much it would cost us to join or whether there would be annual payments. Given our track record over the EU, it wouldn't surprise me if we're turned down by the CPTPP - also we're hardly part of the Pacific Rim anyway. Our trade with the 11 countries in the CPTPP is only a tiny fraction compared to our trade with the EU. And just suppose we join the CPTPP and a couple of years down the line they start talking about 'ever greater union'! The USA was hoping to join but Trump wrecked that, while China's also interested. Maybe the EU might even join, or perhaps merge with it.

Looking at the Wikipedia entry, it looks like the CPTPP, which is a new organisation, is rather like the EU, with a decision-making body called the 'commission'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_and_Progressive_Agreement_for_Trans-Pacific_Partnership

I can't pretend I'd even heard of the CPTPP before today!
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!