It’s time for Ireland to stand up to the EU

Started by Thomas, January 31, 2021, 11:18:34 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on February 04, 2021, 06:36:47 PM
And that highlighted in bold Gerry shows how little you know and your comments are both laughable and lamentable.

Go away and see what actually happened,of course you wont you'll just come back with an even bigger chip on your shoulder and complain about those awful English.you're a joke Gerry....sadly not very funny though.
It shows how little you know. Any EU country could have ordered vaccines outside the EU purchase scheme, any EU country could have used emergency approval of vaccines and not awaited for a more rigorous EMA testing process, any EU country could have given AZ an indemnity against any claims with their vaccine, any EU country could have-but the UK did all of these. Most EU countries decided to follow EMA medical advise and stay within the EU purchase scheme, but they didn't have to. Getting vaccines early has proven to be a smart move by the UK, it was a gamble that paid off. But it was most def not a brexit win as any EU country could have done the same and the UK did this when it was a EU member, it all happened before Christmas.

You don't seem to know what happened and it's yourself that has a chip, just deal with the facts and stop attacking the poster, what in the above is incorrect ?  as far as I'm concerned they are the facts.

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on February 04, 2021, 06:25:21 PM
Is that right ?  any proof to backup your crazy claim.

They made the same investment arrangement in Scotland and also another Belgian development.
Also Pfizer. And those are just the ones that I know of. I fully expect there will have been more.

Research is hit or miss. You use a scattergun approach to investment as you cannot tell which ones will actually work in advance.
So you back a lot of programs. Which is what the UK did.

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on February 04, 2021, 10:14:21 AM
He's delusional if he thinks his hypocritical threatening of Art16 has the desired affect. Imagine, jumping up and down, sabre rattling about the EU suggesting Art16 and then doing exactly the same thing. At least the EU very quickly recognised the error and apologised, will we ever see Johnson and his mob do this, never. Will he actually trigger Art16, most likely no, he's all talk.
When have they not been ? When has the EU treated IRL like the way the UK treats NI.
The UK gambled, running with an unproven vaccine which worked out. It could have gone the other way. AZ have proven they are not to be trusted, dishonest, which shows the level of risk the UK took. That's not the sort of Govt I would want. But then the UK is in such a bad position, one of the worst countries globally in its response to Covid and killing more than most countries. Now the UK is only interested in quoting how many have had the first Jab, not those that have been fully vaccinated. Were there clinical trials to show the long delay is the way to go ?  again a big gamble. Your Govt are using the people as pawns in a political game, it's desperate for a brexit win and it's gambling your life and the ones you love in this action. It may pay off, it may not. I hope it does, this is one time I hope I don't say 'here we go again' in regard to the incompetence of the UK Govt. But its not a well thought out plan, it's a gamble.
IRL has decided that the AZ vaccine will not be given to the elderly, we are following the science and holding back second vaccines so we can get people properly vaccinated.

One last point, while the UK Govt spout about their great brexit response to covid, remember that these decisions were made while the UK was still an effective member of the EU. Any EU country could have gone off and ordered vaccines and done what the UK did. Being a EU member didn't prevent EU countries from doing exactly what the UK did, which is gamble with peoples lives. You'r happy, killing more than most countries in the world and you'r happy ?

And that highlighted in bold Gerry shows how little you know and your comments are both laughable and lamentable.

Go away and see what actually happened,of course you wont you'll just come back with an even bigger chip on your shoulder and complain about those awful English.you're a joke Gerry....sadly not very funny though.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on February 04, 2021, 03:56:09 PM
The UK gambled not just on one vaccine development, but as many as it possibly could.

The EU were too tight to spend that kind of money.
Weren't willing to invest in vaccine development on the same scale as the UK did.
Is that right ?  any proof to backup your crazy claim.

Baff

The UK gambled not just on one vaccine development, but as many as it possibly could.

The EU were too tight to spend that kind of money.
Weren't willing to invest in vaccine development on the same scale as the UK did.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on February 03, 2021, 09:41:51 PM
Not as deluded as you,and Ursula.
He's delusional if he thinks his hypocritical threatening of Art16 has the desired affect. Imagine, jumping up and down, sabre rattling about the EU suggesting Art16 and then doing exactly the same thing. At least the EU very quickly recognised the error and apologised, will we ever see Johnson and his mob do this, never. Will he actually trigger Art16, most likely no, he's all talk.

Quote from: cromwell on February 03, 2021, 09:41:51 PMMore delusion,not been eating magic eu mushrooms Gerry?
Yeah of course they're 100% percent behind you  :) :) :) when it suitys
When have they not been ? When has the EU treated IRL like the way the UK treats NI.

Quote from: cromwell on February 03, 2021, 09:41:51 PMHad your vaccines yet Gerry or are they still discussing it? you swallow the Brussels waffle and lies,mess what mess we're happy,you're obviously not.
The UK gambled, running with an unproven vaccine which worked out. It could have gone the other way. AZ have proven they are not to be trusted, dishonest, which shows the level of risk the UK took. That's not the sort of Govt I would want. But then the UK is in such a bad position, one of the worst countries globally in its response to Covid and killing more than most countries. Now the UK is only interested in quoting how many have had the first Jab, not those that have been fully vaccinated. Were there clinical trials to show the long delay is the way to go ?  again a big gamble. Your Govt are using the people as pawns in a political game, it's desperate for a brexit win and it's gambling your life and the ones you love in this action. It may pay off, it may not. I hope it does, this is one time I hope I don't say 'here we go again' in regard to the incompetence of the UK Govt. But its not a well thought out plan, it's a gamble.
IRL has decided that the AZ vaccine will not be given to the elderly, we are following the science and holding back second vaccines so we can get people properly vaccinated.

One last point, while the UK Govt spout about their great brexit response to covid, remember that these decisions were made while the UK was still an effective member of the EU. Any EU country could have gone off and ordered vaccines and done what the UK did. Being a EU member didn't prevent EU countries from doing exactly what the UK did, which is gamble with peoples lives. You'r happy, killing more than most countries in the world and you'r happy ?

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on February 03, 2021, 09:09:02 PM
Whats all the fuss lads, getting very trigger happy in the UK, considering the EU blunder last week what do you think of dopey Johnson saying he might trigger Art16 himself, the poor man is deluded.

Not as deluded as you,and Ursula.

QuoteBut as for IRL being abandoned by the EU nothing could be further from the truth, fantastic support from the EU. Let me explain as you lot seem to have your nickers in a knot. It's great knowing that as the UK position to crap on the brexit deal that the EU is 100% behind Ireland and will defend our position to the core.
More delusion,not been eating magic eu mushrooms Gerry?
Yeah of course they're 100% percent behind you  :) :) :) when it suitys

First, the EU didn't trigger Art16, it didn't meet to talk about it and it wasn't passed from the commission to the EU parliament to have such a move voted on. Alot of UK jumping up and down and spitting fire for something that never happened.  Two weeks ago Johnson was talking about triggering Art16, and again today he's at it. Seems it's only ok if the UK wants to take such a move.
Compare that to the UK passing the IMB, which was a breach of international law, people on here thinking it was a great think, hypocrites.

Second the issue was one between the EU and Astra Zeneca (AZ). irrespective of what ever deal the UK has with AZ the EU struck their own. This involved AZ getting €300m to help develop the vaccine and ramp up production facilities and an agreement for the first 80m vaccines in q1 of this yr. AZ then came out with some bull that they wouldn't get 30m vaccines to the EU due to production issues and that the EU would only get delivery from AZ factories in the EU. This let the EU to look to restrict AZ from shipping vaccines out of the EU until a better response from AZ was forthcoming.
This is where the Eu took a wrong turn and looked at using Art16 to make this happen, a bit silly as it only deals with trade with the UK, Martin phoned Von Der Leyen and she quickly issued an apology and stopped going down the Art16 route.

That's not the end of it, the EU continues on and is looking to introduced ways to prevent AZ or any other company that want's to take the piss and ship out product to another country when that company isn't meeting it's contractual obligations to the EU, which AZ aren't and I'm sure the UK would do exactly the same thing.

Finally we have the DUP thinking Art16 should be invoked and a hard border erected. Their reason, none really just blind hatred of the EU. Gove is jumping on the bandwagon and looking for an extension to the extension that NI has until April this yr, and looking for it to be extender to 2023. His reasons, well their all the things that the UK is experiencing (delays at ports, pet passports etc..) that the UK voted for. Interesting that the DUP now has about 10% support in NI, their prop the only party pushing in this direction, they'll get destroyed at the next elections. One good thing is their calling for scrapping of the NI protocol,

This is what the UK wanted and now you have it your not happy, no pleasing some people. This was the glorious deal Johnson agreed, there are consequences to your actions, the UK needs to own this brexit mess.

Had your vaccines yet Gerry or are they still discussing it? you swallow the Brussels waffle and lies,mess what mess we're happy,you're obviously not.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Whats all the fuss lads, getting very trigger happy in the UK, considering the EU blunder last week what do you think of dopey Johnson saying he might trigger Art16 himself, the poor man is deluded.

But as for IRL being abandoned by the EU nothing could be further from the truth, fantastic support from the EU. Let me explain as you lot seem to have your nickers in a knot. It's great knowing that as the UK position to crap on the brexit deal that the EU is 100% behind Ireland and will defend our position to the core.

First, the EU didn't trigger Art16, it didn't meet to talk about it and it wasn't passed from the commission to the EU parliament to have such a move voted on. Alot of UK jumping up and down and spitting fire for something that never happened.  Two weeks ago Johnson was talking about triggering Art16, and again today he's at it. Seems it's only ok if the UK wants to take such a move.
Compare that to the UK passing the IMB, which was a breach of international law, people on here thinking it was a great think, hypocrites.

Second the issue was one between the EU and Astra Zeneca (AZ). irrespective of what ever deal the UK has with AZ the EU struck their own. This involved AZ getting €300m to help develop the vaccine and ramp up production facilities and an agreement for the first 80m vaccines in q1 of this yr. AZ then came out with some bull that they wouldn't get 30m vaccines to the EU due to production issues and that the EU would only get delivery from AZ factories in the EU. This let the EU to look to restrict AZ from shipping vaccines out of the EU until a better response from AZ was forthcoming.
This is where the Eu took a wrong turn and looked at using Art16 to make this happen, a bit silly as it only deals with trade with the UK, Martin phoned Von Der Leyen and she quickly issued an apology and stopped going down the Art16 route.

That's not the end of it, the EU continues on and is looking to introduced ways to prevent AZ or any other company that want's to take the piss and ship out product to another country when that company isn't meeting it's contractual obligations to the EU, which AZ aren't and I'm sure the UK would do exactly the same thing.

Finally we have the DUP thinking Art16 should be invoked and a hard border erected. Their reason, none really just blind hatred of the EU. Gove is jumping on the bandwagon and looking for an extension to the extension that NI has until April this yr, and looking for it to be extender to 2023. His reasons, well their all the things that the UK is experiencing (delays at ports, pet passports etc..) that the UK voted for. Interesting that the DUP now has about 10% support in NI, their prop the only party pushing in this direction, they'll get destroyed at the next elections. One good thing is their calling for scrapping of the NI protocol,

This is what the UK wanted and now you have it your not happy, no pleasing some people. This was the glorious deal Johnson agreed, there are consequences to your actions, the UK needs to own this brexit mess.

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on February 01, 2021, 01:38:51 PM
Dublin

The Dublin Castle in Harlesden? God, that is a desperate pub. No wonder the lad gets so confused.

Anyway, even the IRA fought the last Irish general election on housing and the state of the health service. And Micky Martin is about 9 times smarter than Leo Varadkar (although it has to be said that is not difficult) and I doubt that he wants to make waves. So I dare say he will take the sensible course of doing not much of anything while assuring all and sundry of his undying devotion while waiting for the dust to settle and all the while praying that he does not end up with six counties full of arseless Ulster men and women who will be guaranteed to give the Celtic Tiger haemorrhoids
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

I don't know whether it was their president or prime minister and in some ways i don't actually care, but some irish bloke who thinks he speakes for the irish was whingeing like hell that the protocol required that ursula bitch to call th9s bl0ke up before she invoked it, and she didnlt
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

I was reading the usual guardian neo-Liberal hit piece earlier, it basically said although leave was right about the EU all along, it was still a mistake leaving, me thinks neo liberals need a check-up from the neck up. Of course, coming from them who think it is a good thing to repress and depress society for a purely political agenda and once done, tell us about the terrible mental health crisis which they played their own part in, when they are already following and bigging up the next level of repression against society at the same time. A seriously sad state of affairs if ever I saw one.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

I recall the EU instructing Ireland that its economic cycle was seriously out of kilter with the rest of the EU and that it was necessary for them to take it up the shitter financially speaking for the good of the team, or it would be all the worse for them and they meekly did.

Six months later France fell outside the very same economic guidelines and did absolutely sod all about it. Were they even chastised ? Not a bit of it. That was the day I knew all those who said the UK should have joined the Eurozone were mistaken. And it showed me how little Eire actually thought of itself.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on January 31, 2021, 11:50:26 AM
Gerry? What do you think? Ireland is the EU and the EU is Ireland, that's still true, isn't it?

Possibly, but is Gerry in Ireland?

Anyway, Mike Martin has been brown nosing fit to bust recently and declaring the need for Ireland to have a warm and cuddly relationship with the UK. Personally I will continue to eat Scotch beef and drink Jack Daniels rather than Bushmill, but we are probably best off being friends rather than enemies.
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on January 31, 2021, 01:41:36 PM
Yep he logged on and looked at this and logged off again.....still it can wait ;)
Gerry is waiting for the deny and deflect, then he will be along to tell us how it was all the fault of the UK. I don't want to be a fun spoiler but I hear on the grapevine it will be the fault of Boris.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!