Council elections in May

Started by Barry, February 07, 2021, 11:57:21 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on February 13, 2021, 09:31:20 PM
You almost sound surprised.

But I am an honest person who speaks as I find and says what I believe to be true.

When it comes to politics I say what I think and think what I say.
Well I speak as I find too,you sound as surprised I said it.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

HDQQ

The Tories run local government in our area and I'd be happy to see them kicked out but if it's not considered safe to hold the local elections in May then they should be postponed. Waiting a few months longer to vote is no big deal compared to other stuff the world has been through.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on February 13, 2021, 08:47:50 PM
I think the point is Tommy, that Brexit is done and dusted and SCEXIT has yet to happen.

The point im making is how remainers in England clearly still hope brexit can be reveresed with a starmer government  , and im simply wondering how that plays out in the minds of those who support brexit?

Remember your parliaments rule , no government can bind a future government , so from that perspective if you think brexit is done and dusted , more fool you borkie.

Brexit was done and dusted in 216 , nearly 5 years ago , and you have only just left the eu , with much still to be resolved.

QuoteSo the local elections are important north of the border while as in London it does not really matter who is sitting in the Town Hall and talking bollocks.

Borkie we arent having local elections mate. Scotlands local elections are next year , this is our national elections for our parliament. :)

QuoteThe bit that I find interesting is your suggestion that there is a SNP civil war brewing over who is rogering whom.

I never said that borkie.

There is no snp civil war . What we have is the fall out from sturgeons lame limp wristed leadership in terms of being unable to further scot indy despite gaining large majorities , the fall out from the alec salmond affair which could take her down , and the woke issues affecting stirling and aberdeen by a samll clique of snp politicians like alyn smith and kirsty blackman.

QuoteSo we are reliant on you as to what is going on in Scotland. The English media seems to feel that Ms Sturgeon is universally loved and that is about it.

I cant speak for any other scot borkie , but we have had this conversation before. I leave the hero worship of politicians to people like srb steve . For me , most of them are a bunch of cants who only have certain uses , in my case attaining scot indy.

Once that is achieved my vote is up for sale to the highest bidder.

I dont like sturgeon. I gave her the benefit of the doubt over recent years , and dont like what i see. Further i said to you before , the snp are too liberal lefty for me , and i dont agree with them on many policy issues.

.....having said that if she does secure scot indy than all will be forgiven , and i wont be averse to a wee statue being put up for her in george square.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on February 13, 2021, 09:29:55 AM
A very honest post....
You almost sound surprised.

But I am an honest person who speaks as I find and says what I believe to be true.

When it comes to politics I say what I think and think what I say.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on February 13, 2021, 04:24:58 PM
I think the results in scotland for our parliament are essentially going to be determined on turnout and anger directed at sturgeon and her clique.

Simple ordinary politics really isnt a thing in scotland , and hasnt been for a long time....essentially its as you would expect borkie , unionist v nationalist.

On a normal day i would expect the SNP to sweep the board , with the tories doing well in second place and labour and the liberals fighting for the dregs of whats left of the union vote , but to be honest im not too sure how things are going to pan out.

Hopefully we will get a pro indy majority , SNP , Scottish Greens and maybe some of the smaller indy parties on the list , but to be honest i dont know. With covid , and the sturgeon woke issues  , things could be tricky.

Polls are looking good though, so maybe a lot of indy supporters are going to hold their noses and vote for sturgeon .

I have two aims borkie , get a pro indy majority , and secondly , keep labour out at all costs.

Things look a bit more tame though down your neck of the woods , but looking at the polls in england labour seem worried. If starmer and the blairites dont really make any dent in the tory vote  then i expect prssure to really get to him and the labour party hierarchy.

Do you think starmers brexit baggage will make a difference to how people vote? Or will that not matter as folk look at local issues?

Either way im expecting it to be a damp squib for labour .

I think the point is Tommy, that Brexit is done and dusted and SCEXIT has yet to happen. So the local elections are important north of the border while as in London it does not really matter who is sitting in the Town Hall and talking bollocks.   

Starmer is pretty much the Labour party's version of Glyndwr Michael and I can't see him having influence on SCEXIT or much of anything for that matter.

The bit that I find interesting is your suggestion that there is a SNP civil war brewing over who is rogering whom. We are such a pervie lot down South that it is done in the streets and the horses are too well breed to take a lot of notice, but apparently Wee Krankie is getting a bit of stick because she is being a bit too right on. It has to be said that I read this in the Sunday Times which probably does not know where the M25 is, let alone Scotland.

So we are reliant on you as to what is going on in Scotland. The English media seems to feel that Ms Sturgeon is universally loved and that is about it.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on February 13, 2021, 04:13:09 PM
Pretty much the same for us.

Our next election is for Mayor of London. Saddo Khan really is a sniveling git, particularly since he must realise that he will never become leader of the Labour party. But the other candidates are even worse. So I shall got to the polling station, vote for the Paki Pygmy and dream of the great days of Ken and Boris

I think the results in scotland for our parliament are essentially going to be determined on turnout and anger directed at sturgeon and her clique.

Simple ordinary politics really isnt a thing in scotland , and hasnt been for a long time....essentially its as you would expect borkie , unionist v nationalist.

On a normal day i would expect the SNP to sweep the board , with the tories doing well in second place and labour and the liberals fighting for the dregs of whats left of the union vote , but to be honest im not too sure how things are going to pan out.

Hopefully we will get a pro indy majority , SNP , Scottish Greens and maybe some of the smaller indy parties on the list , but to be honest i dont know. With covid , and the sturgeon woke issues  , things could be tricky.

Polls are looking good though, so maybe a lot of indy supporters are going to hold their noses and vote for sturgeon .

I have two aims borkie , get a pro indy majority , and secondly , keep labour out at all costs.

Things look a bit more tame though down your neck of the woods , but looking at the polls in england labour seem worried. If starmer and the blairites dont really make any dent in the tory vote  then i expect prssure to really get to him and the labour party hierarchy.

Do you think starmers brexit baggage will make a difference to how people vote? Or will that not matter as folk look at local issues?

Either way im expecting it to be a damp squib for labour .

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on February 13, 2021, 08:44:04 AM
These elections have already been postponed from last year. It would be wrong to postpone them again and I cannot see that happening.

How much covid will impact upon the actual turn out remains to be seen. I for one am sticking with my postal vote. I suspect more people than usual might vote by post this time.

In my local ward the Labour candidate is a character-flawed self promoting careerist semi-Blairite who doesnt even live locally, whilst the Tory candidate is a popular and well known local who is very community-spirited, who off his own bat collects dog mess and litter from the local sports field and is a well known and respected local community campaigner. He has a very large and popular presence on the local community pages whilst the Labour candidate is virtually invisible there. I cannot see Labour winning in my ward and my party's candidate is not one I feel motivated to support. We were stuck with her though because in the selection process she was the only one who never backed out. So we had a kind of North Korean vote to select our candidate, with only one candidate to vote for.

The Tories have selected a much better and probably more popular candidate. I wish it were not so but it is what it is.

Pretty much the same for us.

Our next election is for Mayor of London. Saddo Khan really is a sniveling git, particularly since he must realise that he will never become leader of the Labour party. But the other candidates are even worse. So I shall got to the polling station, vote for the Paki Pygmy and dream of the great days of Ken and Boris
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Yet to see how the grassroots anger against sturgeon plays out  , but at the minute polls have the snp flying for the scottish parliament elections in may , conservatives gaining the unionist vote and starmers labour losing ground as you would expect.

Im hoping labour announce anas sarwar as their next scottish branch manager , possibly one of the biggest bullshitters in scotland , and an outirght blairite through and thorugh so should put another nail hopefully in their coffin.

Thomas

Ballot Box Scotland
@BallotBoxScot
·
11 Feb
New Scottish Parliament poll, ComRes 4 - 9 Feb (changes vs 8 - 13 Jan):

List:
SNP ~ 43% (-1)
Con ~ 21% (+5)
Lab ~ 18% (nc)
Grn ~ 10% (-1)
LD ~ 6% (-2)

Constituency:
SNP ~ 54% (+1)
Con ~ 23% (+4)
Lab ~ 16% (-2)
LD ~ 6% (nc)

Projecting ComRes 4 - 9 Feb into seats (changes vs 8 - 13 Jan / vs 2016):

SNP - 71 (nc / +8)
Conservative - 24 (+5 / -7)
Labour - 19 (-1 / -5)
Green - 11 (nc / +5)
Lib Dem - 4 (-4/ -1)

(Caveats: http://ballotbox.scot/projections)

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on February 13, 2021, 08:44:04 AM
These elections have already been postponed from last year. It would be wrong to postpone them again and I cannot see that happening.

How much covid will impact upon the actual turn out remains to be seen. I for one am sticking with my postal vote. I suspect more people than usual might vote by post this time.

In my local ward the Labour candidate is a character-flawed self promoting careerist semi-Blairite who doesnt even live locally, whilst the Tory candidate is a popular and well known local who is very community-spirited, who off his own bat collects dog mess and litter from the local sports field and is a well known and respected local community campaigner. He has a very large and popular presence on the local community pages whilst the Labour candidate is virtually invisible there. I cannot see Labour winning in my ward and my party's candidate is not one I feel motivated to support. We were stuck with her though because in the selection process she was the only one who never backed out. So we had a kind of North Korean vote to select our candidate, with only one candidate to vote for.

The Tories have selected a much better and probably more popular candidate. I wish it were not so but it is what it is.
A very honest post you could've portrayed as I suspect another anti Tory would that candidate as a member of the SS.
Sadly the Westminster show is brought to local level,a pity that there aren't more civic minded individuals standing as independents.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on February 12, 2021, 11:41:45 AM
Obviously made up, he's never pushed a wheelbarrow in his life.

Just social media taking the piss barry. Interesting the amount of polls recently that have labour support dropping .

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Thomas