Growing old: pros and con

Started by Borchester, November 18, 2019, 06:11:01 PM

« previous - next »

Churchill

I am enjoying what time I have left, I no longer work long anti-social unhealthy hours , potter about the house and garden doing the little jobs I never had time to do before, go fishing when I please.

In the summer I can ride the buses or underground for free into Central London wander around the Museums, Galleries, sit by the Thames having a pint and sandwich and watch the world go by, meet up with old Comrades, bad weather spend the day in the British Library, or stay close to home go for a walk in the park and woods nearby, or sit in my garden reading listening to music, or planning our next holiday, whatever I choose to do.

The worlds me Lobster  :)
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Wiggles

Good Thread. Good things about both

YOUNG

1. Generally healthier with less aches and pains

2. Wanting to have sex, rather than seeing it as a chore one has to carry out a few times a year

3. Being able to eat without getting fat

4. Playing sport other than golf

5. Not feeling the cold so much

6. Being less unattractive than I am now

7. Not having to dance with my thumbs pointing to the ceiling (why does that happen?)

OLD

1. Generally speaking, having more money

2. Not having to work

3. Being grumpy, I just love it

4. Having time to do what one likes

5. Not worrying so much about appearance

It's difficult comparing one with another. I look back at some really great times, but I enjoy retirement so much I don't think I would want to be young again. I retired at 57, and perhaps it would have been nice if I could have remained that age forever
A hand up, not a hand out

Barry

Quote from: Churchill post_id=7448 time=1574780986 user_id=69
Which is offset by being a Grandad you sleep with a Grandmother :)

:lol:

This weekend I experienced some of the pros - like hearing my son-in-law go off to work at sparrowcough this morning, whilst lying in bed  :parp:

waiting for a reasonable hour to arise and play with the 2 lovely rugrats.

One of the cons is the failing physical abilities and a bit of joint pain, but a drop of brandy can always help forget about that!  :thup:
† The end is nigh †

Churchill

Which is offset by being a Grandad you sleep with a Grandmother :)
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Calico Jack

One of the advantages of growing old is that you can barge in or go to the front of the queue and say things like " Get out of the way. I'm old. I fought in the war." and most people are too embarrassed to argue with you. :)

T00ts

I have come to the decision that there is little good and mostly bad so I have given it up. I am now returning to my youth a couple of years a month and feeling much better for it.  :dncg:

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=7377 time=1574724757 user_id=48
Don't know if this is a pro or con and don't actually care,I am less tolerant of those I believe nobheads.......so cue a bunch of said nobheads on news at ten at some hustings shouting there's a climate emergency and whose planet....our planet,no it's not your bloody planet you just happen to be a speck  that temporarily lives on it.

They then broke in to the  oh Jeremy Corbyn chant which confirmed the verdict they were nobheads.

It is a pro. For a month or so the the Climate Rebels did their stuff in central London and the TV and press adored them. Then a couple of the eco warriors tried to stop the commuters at Canning Town from going to work, whereupon it was decided that enough was enough and the demonstrators were dragged off the trains and given a good kicking.

The great thing about the advancing years is that you learn that sooner or later and regardless of what the media might suggest, sooner or later Joe Public is going to say that the joke is over.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Don't know if this is a pro or con and don't actually care,I am less tolerant of those I believe nobheads.......so cue a bunch of said nobheads on news at ten at some hustings shouting there's a climate emergency and whose planet....our planet,no it's not your bloody planet you just happen to be a speck  that temporarily lives on it.

They then broke in to the  oh Jeremy Corbyn chant which confirmed the verdict they were nobheads.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

It took my wife and I half an hour in the pouring rain to find the car in the Supermarket car park yesterday. (I will not have a another silver grey car.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Churchill

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester post_id=6483 time=1574107054 user_id=62
Miserable sod.

Looking at it logically grandchildren are an over rated and expensive pain in the arse. But anyone who looks the matter logically is a waste of space.

Ah yes. The grandkids. Well there's only one at the moment but it'll be a while before I get lumbered with babysitting her again. Here's why

It must have been a year ago that i was told the adult contingent of Melissa's Musical Theatre group were putting on Evita, that the entire coven were off to see it and i was babysitting madam.

I took her off to wetherspoons fed her fish and chips, then popped int somewhere for a massive tub of ben and jerry's and a methuselah of something sugary and carbonated, stopped off on the way back for a mcdonalds caramel mcflurry each and then had madam show me how to win the first chapter of Call Of Duty: Black Ops (18 rated I believe). I was told it was three days before she came down off the sugar high ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

The pros are everything that's visible and the cons are the ones that are not .

cons  ,the arthritis is a bastard , running leads to cramp and the kids think Ill never run out of money

Pros , living mortgage free ,Ive run out of money and  I've forgotten what the topic was

cromwell

Quote from: Barry post_id=6473 time=1574104788 user_id=51
There aren't many pros.

No mortgage because we paid it off.

Are grandchildren pros? They can be cons some days! :)

Cons are that everything hurts, especially in this cold weather. Head shoulders knees and toes, hips, oh - and never tell the doctor about any of this stuff, you'll never be free of an appointment or a packet of pills ever again.  :lol:

Yes  why do they mither you so much,and what's the point? waste of money really  :lol:

The other thing is I know I'm old because I've just been squinting at I'm a celeb and apparently I've been living in a hole because I don't know who the feck the Kardashians are or why this bloke who is now a woman is famous.

Only really know Wrighty and the autocue reader Garroway the rest are non descripts to me.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Churchill

The good thing about grandkids is when you have had enough of them you can give them back :D , it is even better when they do well at school, have good manners, great work ethics, confident to go out into the world knowing that life is what they make of it,

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=6479 time=1574106038 user_id=89
A friend of mine has a grandchildren avoidance plan over every Christmas time, he goes on a foreign holiday and doesn't tell anyone where he is going.

Miserable sod.

Looking at it logically grandchildren are an over rated and expensive pain in the arse. But anyone who looks the matter logically is a waste of space.
Algerie Francais !