Should zero Covid be the objective?

Started by Barry, February 21, 2021, 11:37:16 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Scott777 on March 05, 2021, 04:00:47 PM
Can you elaborate on this objective (but not to the exclusion of reality)?
Sure: diptheria, leprosy, polio, and smallpox are among diseases that have almost been eradicated in recent times by immunization, inoculation and vaccination. Short local isolations and lock-downs have been used for centuries to combat the spread of disease. 

For such epidemics as foot and mouth**, swine fever, and avian flu in animals, slaughter has also been a means of bringing outbreaks to a halt. The idea that possibly-infected, immigrants attempting to arrive illegally by boat, should be refused permission to land but "allowed" to perish at sea, could be of that same mindset. But it's not an acceptable reality...

***The Pirbright Institute and its research partners have granted a commercial licence for a new, effective and affordable vaccine to protect livestock against several serotypes of foot-and-mouth-disease (FMDV).

But one drawback of vaccination has been the difficulty of knowing whether any antibodies found in animals to be moved or for sale, are due to infection or vaccination. However these two sorts of response can now be distinguished. 

Identifying vaccinated and infected animals,  can allow trade to continue and mass culling in the event of an outbreak would not be needed.
https://www.pirbright.ac.uk/news/2019/09/pirbright-grants-licence-new-foot-and-mouth-disease-vaccine
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Scott777

Quote from: srb7677 on March 08, 2021, 06:39:16 AM
Still no evidence for your conspiracy theory I see.  :)
Which theory is that?  Which post did I say it in?  I'm intrigued by it.  But the irony is, it's you who first mentioned a conspiracy.  Hash does make people paranoid.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

srb7677

Quote from: Scott777 on March 07, 2021, 07:53:00 PM
Your little provocations are delightful.  😁  I don't need evidence of whoever think it's bollocks.  "The medical profession" is not a single person, so your question is the usual nonsense from you.
Still no evidence for your conspiracy theory I see.  :)
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Scott777

Quote from: srb7677 on March 06, 2021, 06:16:53 AM
Where is your evidence that the medical profession regard covid as bollocks?

You are an obvious conspiracy theorist. What conspiracy do you think the entire medical profession and scientific community are in on? Come on, spell it out. I could do with a laugh.
Your little provocations are delightful.  😁  I don't need evidence of whoever think it's bollocks.  "The medical profession" is not a single person, so your question is the usual nonsense from you.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

srb7677

Quote from: Scott777 on March 05, 2021, 03:58:20 PM
How do you know this?  Did you ask virtually all the medical profession and medical scientists?  Or did the TV tell you this?  This is for debate.  But all I see are claims from people who never have any explanation or evidence.
Where is your evidence that the medical profession regard covid as bollocks?

You are an obvious conspiracy theorist. What conspiracy do you think the entire medical profession and scientific community are in on? Come on, spell it out. I could do with a laugh.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Scott777

Quote from: patman post on March 05, 2021, 03:51:33 PM
I think zero Covid should be the objective — just as zero all disease and disability, and the problems accompanying them, should be the objective — but not to the exclusion of reality...   
Can you elaborate on this objective (but not to the exclusion of reality)?

Scott777

Quote from: grumzed on March 05, 2021, 03:32:00 PM
Virtually all the medical profession and medical scientists agree that we are dealing with a pandemic caused by a fast mutating virus; and this is not just in the UK but worldwide.
How do you know this?  Did you ask virtually all the medical profession and medical scientists?  Or did the TV tell you this?  This is for debate.  But all I see are claims from people who never have any explanation or evidence.

patman post

I agree with grumzed.   
And to answer the thread's question: I think zero Covid should be the objective — just as zero all disease and disability, and the problems accompanying them, should be the objective — but not to the exclusion of reality...   
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

https://www.rferl.org/a/covid-19-lockdown-protests-spread-around-the-world/30610041.html
I guess the usual suspects would like it to be a few cranks, but alas listening isn't something they are good at. As Barry once noted, as none of it has actually worked and as we are fed daily on a diet of look, nothing works so we just as well follow along. Lets hope for all of your sake's frustration doesn't get the better of people.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

grumzed

It's actually quite hard for some of us to believe that there are so many people here who take a contrary view to the status quo despite overwhelming evidence, even when the source of such evidence is from those who are expert in the subject. It seems to me this is a relatively new phenomenon, perhaps something to do with the internet. If someone has a doubt, and they find others who also have the same doubt, then whatever the evidence, the support of a few strengthens that doubt.

I used to think websites, such as this, were actually a great idea. It is a way of spreading knowledge and understanding and, by debating issues, learning more detail about a subject. To an extent, this does happen, but it also leads to the confirming of people's prejudices. It can also lead to some sites becoming a reservoir for a particular political position because those who may have another view are discouraged from voicing it. Indeed, I feel that way myself.

This debate highlights this partcularly well. Virtually all the medical profession and medical scientists agree that we are dealing with a pandemic caused by a fast mutating virus; and this is not just in the UK but worldwide. There are variations on how to treat this situation, some of which depends on the wealth of a country and on what structures they have in place to manage the situation. However, Europe, USA (eventually), Canada, all European countries, China, Russia, Israel, most of the ME countries, Australia, NZ etc. are all doing, with slight variations, the same as the UK. My goodness that is some conspiracy. Hmm, maybe it isn't. Perhaps it is just the right thing to do.

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on March 04, 2021, 08:36:21 PM
Don't know what? What shit are you spouting without evidence in defiance of the entire medical community who you think you know better than. Talk about fruit loops, lol
Seems to me, Covid has caused more than few people to try to relieve their boredom or fear (or get their entertainment) by taking on the roles of contrarians in the various places they frequent. 
It's the same with Brexit and Climate Change.
If they get annoying — especially if their views run counter to personal experience — alternative treatments are (a) to ignore them as crowds muttering "rhubarb, rhubarb, ruhurb" are ignored on stage, or (b) advance cogent counter arguments.   
You won't win, but you might lessen your own tension...

Scott777

Quote from: Barry on March 04, 2021, 09:00:35 PM
None of what I wrote suggests I subscribe to any conspiracy theories, either.
It's the easiest attack to make when they have no argument.  Everything is a conspiracy theory.  😉

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on March 04, 2021, 07:49:33 PMWell I think Barry, Sheepy, and Scott777 seem to have just escaped from the funny farm,
I may have been psychologically examined, but I never smoked dope.
None of what I wrote suggests I subscribe to any conspiracy theories, either.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: Sheepy on March 04, 2021, 08:34:32 PM
Ah, I see, so you don't know then.
Don't know what? What shit are you spouting without evidence in defiance of the entire medical community who you think you know better than. Talk about fruit loops, lol

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on March 04, 2021, 08:27:33 PM
You are all in obvious denial about covid in defiance of the entire medical community. Do you know more than them? Next time I need brain surgery or a heart transplant I'll come to you three. Your medical knowledge is obviously awesome.

The three wise monkeys - See no covid. Hear no covid. And speak no covid. Lol
Ah, I see, so you don't know then.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!