The silence is still deafening

Started by cromwell, February 21, 2021, 11:35:35 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Frustration grows in Germany over sluggish rollout of Covid vaccines

Government criticised for falling behind UK, which has vaccinated three times as many people

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/24/germany-frustration-grows-sluggish-rollout-covid-vaccines-falling-behind-uk
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on February 23, 2021, 05:33:02 PM
Ha so only UK newspapers criticise the eu ......clearly not.
Nobody listening/ no Brussels never has.........Diktat yes. :P

Comical paddys whinges are getting less and less on this forum as he gradually realises he is banging his head against a brick wall.

QuoteWe envy Britain! Germany's biggest newspaper Bild praises UK's incredible vaccine success and contrasts Boris Johnson's optimistic lockdown exit plans with Merkel's doom and gloom

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9294521/Germanys-biggest-newspaper-praises-Britains-vaccine-success.html

Did you see that cromwell? Comical paddy hasnt got too much to say on any positive coming out of the uk , only the bad bits to suit his pro rejoin agenda.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on February 23, 2021, 02:11:06 PM
in case you misunderstood I was trying to point out that claiming the UK vaccine roll out as some glorious beacon of Brexit and trying to imply the EU was fighting to stop EU members from doing likewise is beyond false. The EU is not wallowing in anything, CV19 is not a competition no matter how hard you and others try to make it one.
There could be corruption in any walk of life, I wouldn't claim the EU hasn't got it's problems. Border security is the competence of each member state, Frontex assists those member states in certain areas, it's not an independent body telling members what to do. Again this is a blatant misrepresentation and far from the truth. IF a frontex officer is deployed to a border area he is there under the control of the member state and is only there to assist the member state with it's operations.
In certain areas member states provide the labour and equipment as part of Frontex, that article is far from balanced and it really belongs in one of the UK newspapers.

Back on point, how do you think approving and purchasing vaccines has anything to do with Brexit ?
Wheres your list of Brexit wins ?
If there is deafening silence it's most likely because there's nobody really listening
Ha so only UK newspapers criticise the eu ......clearly not.
Nobody listening/ no Brussels never has.........Diktat yes. :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on February 23, 2021, 12:05:36 AM
The point is ANY EU member state could have done what the UK did, being an EU member didn't in any way prevent a country from doing their own thing. Brexit didn't give the UK any extra powers to chart the course hey are on regarding actions to combat CV.
Maybe the UK rushed it's approval process [HIGHLIGHT]due to the fact it's infection rate and death rate is so bad, the UK had a far greater urgency to try get a defence through[/HIGHLIGHT] a vaccine as it's other measures were working out so poorly. But the reason other countries didn't go early had nothing to do with being an EU member. Maybe they wanted to be very sure the vaccine was safe before injecting people.

The UK is now embarking on a single shot plan, seems strange to not get people fully vaccinated, even Ireland has a greater percentage of people that are properly vaccinated (having received the two vaccine shots) compared to the UK 2.5% v 0.9% of ther population., why is it that the UK Govt seems to want to say how many people they have vaccinated, when their actually only half vaccinated, seems a political agenda.

The EU is a month behind the UK, there is a long road to go to get countries fully vaccinated, lets see how things are in June, the UK will have to go back on the people they have half vaccinated and give them the second shot. The quicker all countries get vaccinated the better.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/22/covid-19-vaccinations-in-europe-which-countries-are-leading-the-way

I think you'll find Belgium has a deaths v population higher than the U.K. In fact, there are 5 EU countries in front of the U.K. using that count, but you carry on with your "U.K. needed it more" line.

So what you're saying is, 5 EU countries decided to let more people die than necessary cause they felt like? No control from the EU, they just decided not to order vaccines.

Another plus for Brexit!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: GerryT on February 23, 2021, 02:21:22 PM
Belgium's response to CV19 was a disaster, lack of lockdowns early on has let them to the situation they are now in, absolutely nothing to do with the EU.
It's the UK's initial lack of meaningful response that's generally thought to have led to its disastrous infection and death rates.
On the good side though, the late realisation by govt of the seriousness of Covid resulted in the UK's panic buying up of PPE and vaccines, funding lock-downs, and supporting Covid-related R&D.
And this splashing cash everywhere, together with harsh restrictions, now appears to have started being effective...

The crocus of hope is poking through the frost. But this is not the end, and though we are through the beginning it is, perhaps, the beginning of the end.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on February 23, 2021, 10:14:13 AM
Nearly...
Belgium, the centre of the political union of the EU, is 3 places higher in the list than the UK.
But why let the truth get in the way of your dishonest argument?
I said nearly the highest in Europe, and yes I am correct. It's also nearly the highest in the world, also correct.
My point was each countries plan of attack against CV19 has nothing to do with being a member state of the EU, again I'm correct.
My point that brexiteers claiming Brexit as the reason they got ahead with vaccinations was false, again I'm correct.
Belgium's response to CV19 was a disaster, lack of lockdowns early on has let them to the situation they are now in, absolutely nothing to do with the EU.
I think you need to read the idiots guide to the EU to figure out what it is.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on February 23, 2021, 11:50:48 AM
Well it's certainly wallowing in something Gerry,you like to point out various faults in the UK system but you see Gerry when things go wrong we can vote and get rid,meanwhile you're stuck.....did you see thomas's excellent thread on turmoil and corruption in the eu......here's the link in case you missed it :)
https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/missteps-and-mismanagement-at-frontex-scandals-plunge-europe-s-border-agency-into-turmoil-a-d11ae404-5fd4-41a7-b127-eca47a00753f

in case you misunderstood I was trying to point out that claiming the UK vaccine roll out as some glorious beacon of Brexit and trying to imply the EU was fighting to stop EU members from doing likewise is beyond false. The EU is not wallowing in anything, CV19 is not a competition no matter how hard you and others try to make it one.
There could be corruption in any walk of life, I wouldn't claim the EU hasn't got it's problems. Border security is the competence of each member state, Frontex assists those member states in certain areas, it's not an independent body telling members what to do. Again this is a blatant misrepresentation and far from the truth. IF a frontex officer is deployed to a border area he is there under the control of the member state and is only there to assist the member state with it's operations.
In certain areas member states provide the labour and equipment as part of Frontex, that article is far from balanced and it really belongs in one of the UK newspapers.

Back on point, how do you think approving and purchasing vaccines has anything to do with Brexit ?
Wheres your list of Brexit wins ?
If there is deafening silence it's most likely because there's nobody really listening

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on February 23, 2021, 08:42:54 AM
Ignore its own rules ??  I never said members ignored their rules. I said members had a choice, either follow EMA and EU purchase scheme or use their own medical body (IMB in Ireland) and approve a vaccine for their country & purchase it alone if it so wished. Thats a choice, not "ignoring a rule".
[highlight]If you think the EU is wallowing[/highlight] in tears and looking at the UK as some beacon to be followed down that cv19 response your sadly mistaken. Nearly the highest death rate in europe, failed PPE purchase schemes, dodgy contracts issued to "mates" that seems to get very little attention. Lets see how it all looks in June.
The first gamble to go early before the trial data was properly reviewed paid off, the second gamble to focus on giving the first jab may or may not work out. But at some point making political decisions over science will backfire. Just look at your death rate to see how the UK political decision v scientific advice worked out last yr.
Well it's certainly wallowing in something Gerry,you like to point out various faults in the UK system but you see Gerry when things go wrong we can vote and get rid,meanwhile you're stuck.....did you see thomas's excellent thread on turmoil and corruption in the eu......here's the link in case you missed it :)
https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/missteps-and-mismanagement-at-frontex-scandals-plunge-europe-s-border-agency-into-turmoil-a-d11ae404-5fd4-41a7-b127-eca47a00753f

Barry

Quote from: GerryT on February 23, 2021, 08:42:54 AM

If you think the EU is wallowing in tears and looking at the UK as some beacon to be followed down that cv19 response your sadly mistaken. [HIGHLIGHT]Nearly the highest death rate in Europe,[/HIGHLIGHT]
Nearly...
Belgium, the centre of the political union of the EU, is 3 places higher in the list than the UK.
But why let the truth get in the way of your dishonest argument?
† The end is nigh †

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 23, 2021, 06:44:50 AM

Well, I think we owe you a debt of gratitude for highlighting the fact the EU chose to ignore its own rules and now wallows in its own tears ...
Ignore its own rules ??  I never said members ignored their rules. I said members had a choice, either follow EMA and EU purchase scheme or use their own medical body (IMB in Ireland) and approve a vaccine for their country & purchase it alone if it so wished. Thats a choice, not "ignoring a rule".
If you think the EU is wallowing in tears and looking at the UK as some beacon to be followed down that cv19 response your sadly mistaken. Nearly the highest death rate in europe, failed PPE purchase schemes, dodgy contracts issued to "mates" that seems to get very little attention. Lets see how it all looks in June.
The first gamble to go early before the trial data was properly reviewed paid off, the second gamble to focus on giving the first jab may or may not work out. But at some point making political decisions over science will backfire. Just look at your death rate to see how the UK political decision v scientific advice worked out last yr.

johnofgwent

Quote from: GerryT on February 22, 2021, 09:45:40 AM
No doubt you were quick out of the blocks, being in the transition period last yr the UK had to abide by EU laws, luckily there is an EU law allowing member states to do exactly what the UK did and approve a medicine without having the EMA approve it first, any EU country could have done this. Why do you think a remainer (which I'm not) should have an opinion on this as a remainer ?

https://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck-matt-hancock-covid-vaccine-5287289-Dec2020/

Well, I think we owe you a debt of gratitude for highlighting the fact the EU chose to ignore its own rules and now wallows in its own tears ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on February 22, 2021, 07:05:57 PM
No we wouldn't,if the vote had gone remain we'd have had a bunch of tossers falling over themselves to do it the eu way.
Starmer being first in the queue
Watching Starmer the past couple of months I would have to agree with you, he seems incapable of leading a strong Govt opposition.
But you do have a bunch of tossers falling all over themselves, even a broken clock is right twice a day. What have they got right in the past 5 years? where's that list of brexit success stories, I don't know of any, maybe you can list them ?

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on February 22, 2021, 06:17:00 PM
Not a single EU country did this, why? Either they are stupid or they had their hands tied. Which one is it Gerry? Either way the U.K. is best rid of them.
The point is ANY EU member state could have done what the UK did, being an EU member didn't in any way prevent a country from doing their own thing. Brexit didn't give the UK any extra powers to chart the course hey are on regarding actions to combat CV.
Maybe the UK rushed it's approval process due to the fact it's infection rate and death rate is so bad, the UK had a far greater urgency to try get a defence through a vaccine as it's other measures were working out so poorly. But the reason other countries didn't go early had nothing to do with being an EU member. Maybe they wanted to be very sure the vaccine was safe before injecting people.

The UK is now embarking on a single shot plan, seems strange to not get people fully vaccinated, even Ireland has a greater percentage of people that are properly vaccinated (having received the two vaccine shots) compared to the UK 2.5% v 0.9% of ther population., why is it that the UK Govt seems to want to say how many people they have vaccinated, when their actually only half vaccinated, seems a political agenda.

The EU is a month behind the UK, there is a long road to go to get countries fully vaccinated, lets see how things are in June, the UK will have to go back on the people they have half vaccinated and give them the second shot. The quicker all countries get vaccinated the better.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/22/covid-19-vaccinations-in-europe-which-countries-are-leading-the-way

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on February 22, 2021, 04:09:02 PM
But why would you have been up shit creek, you would have done exactly the same thing. approved the drug for use in the UK and purchased the drug early.
If you have a list of positives why not put them up.
No we wouldn't,if the vote had gone remain we'd have had a bunch of tossers falling over themselves to do it the eu way.
Starmer being first in the queue

Baff

Even the pound to euro is up to 1.16 and the pound to dollar 1.40.

It does not seem natural somehow.

A step in the wrong direction.
As long as we have a trade deficit, lower is preferred.