Johnson throws down four-question challenge to Corbyn

Started by Borchester, November 19, 2019, 10:43:25 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

BBC factcheck of last night's claims:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50421141">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50421141
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Actually watched most of the debate and found it more interesting than I had thought it would be.

Don't think there was a winner. In my opinion Corbyn appeared to draw level, while Boris lost points by trying to bulldoze through questions with repetitive non-contiguous phrases: Corbyn addressed the questions in a more detached, unemotional manner. To my mind typical whah-whah Boris — usual expected calm, rational sounding Corbyn...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Churchill

I did watch it which I considered to be a waste of time, as I expected the same old performance Corbyn as usual did not answer a direct question with direct answer so no change.

Boris as usual began to talk faster and faster, Corbyn as usual mentioned abject poverty as often as possible and the rich of course same old same old, used the NHS to try and score points, it worked in 97 and little improvement in 13 years

Neither came out well, we are no farther forward, I think Boris performed better but not by much, I have had enough of all of the buggers on both sides of the House.

I was not inclined to vote ever again after the debacle we have seen for over 3 years, I think its damage limitation time Corbyn and his Comrades IMO are a real danger to the entire country our economy, jobs, investment, full of hate and seeking to sow division as usual, I am concerned for our  security, a return to the bad old days.

Wife and I will vote one last time and see what happens, no way will the Comrades ever get our vote Corbyn at the head of the Party or no Corbyn
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

PhantomPhlyer

Quote from: Barry post_id=6632 time=1574195275 user_id=51
Watching it now. Boris needs to stop when Julie tells him his time is up. Misbehaviour does him no favours.

By the clapping, he wins on Brexit.

Jeremy has his glasses on wonky.  :shrg:

We all see things differently, and that is part of life's rich tapestry as they say, but all I saw was that this was a bit of a 'playground' sparring session, with Corbyn fending off the heavy blows over Brexit,  hitting below the belt ie

' lying ' over the sale of the NHS, and Johnson still landing the same old Brexit punch which 'clearly'  was not heavy enough to knock Corbyn out.

I saw that the referee stepped in quite a lot more to stop BoJo landing the heavy blows, and I would have paid a higher entrance fee to the fight to see both contestants  being allowed by the referee to finish landing the blows, and if the fight went more than 3 rounds then all the better.

Complete waste of time as a spectator sport, but the reporters of course will love it and demand more of the same old rubbish?

Ciaphas

Quote from: Barry post_id=6632 time=1574195275 user_id=51
Watching it now. Boris needs to stop when Julie tells him his time is up. Misbehaviour does him no favours.

Yeah the glasses started to irritate me after a while.

Ciaphas

I felt Mr Corbyn was quite strong and was right to refuse Johnson trying to get him to adopt a partisan position on Brexit. It was clear that he had a positive vision for the country.

Mr Johnson didn't answer many questions and just banged on about Brexit the entire time. He also repeatedly went over his alloted time and generally conducted himself poorly including telling several lies. He should have have been docked time whenever he went over time or off-topic, just turn his mic off.

The Conservative supporters booing Mr Cobyn when he talked about climate change affecting some off the poorest in the world, despicable but not entirely surprising.

cromwell

Been better off with laurel & hardy,at least they were funny
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=6634 time=1574197113 user_id=51
I thought that they were both rather lack lustre, there were no defining points, or that's my view anyway.  :|

Agreed.

I think both Corbyn and Johnson are haunted by the memories of 2017 when Doris waited until the middle of the election before telling the pensioners that they were going to have their pensions docked and would be send down the coal mines to earn what was left.

Neither side was trying to gain support so much as to hang on what they had.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Barry

I thought that they were both rather lack lustre, there were no defining points, or that's my view anyway.  :|
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Yeah I'm watching too,smug autocue reader chairing it absolutely hopeless and after the break Prince Andrew .....what the feck?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=6554 time=1574161833 user_id=51
But don't you want Leveson II implemented with extra control of the press? Shouldn't questions be carefully vetted to ensure they are not unfair or skewed in the questioner's favour? Which way do you want to go with the press? More freedom or less?

Stopping Boris being asked difficult questions about the Tory record in government is not the same as stopping the press telling lies and propaganda.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=6576 time=1574172047 user_id=51
I might watch, it's at 8pm this evening on ITV and I still have a TV licence  at the moment.  :thup:

I don't have a TV but it will be on YouTube soon enough so I will watch it then.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

I might watch, it's at 8pm this evening on ITV and I still have a TV licence  at the moment.  :thup:
† The end is nigh †