Has support for the SNP and independence slipped?

Started by GBNews, March 05, 2021, 01:30:35 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on March 05, 2021, 03:32:42 PM
Not sure I wholly agree with idea that Independence is firmly embedded in the brain.   
As I see it, two factors could alter the numbers supporting either Independence or Union outside their core supporters — one is how attractive the future appears under either regime, the other is how the main proponents for each side of the argument are perceived.   
And the two leading advocates for Scottish independence kicking lumps off each other seems unlikely to reinforce support for them or their ideas...

Its a personal view Posty but I believe independence is embedded in the brain .  UK independence from the EU was mainly a UKIP thing . For many years they were the only  party  that had independence as the goal but a party that was not going to win a GE
Johnsons swing to leave and his subsequent promotion in the tory party  changed the game , a party that could deliver leave saw UKIP become insignificant

Likewise with the SNP ,they are the best party to force independence so will get the vote of Nationalists regardless of what policies they put forward , the future will be determined by others once independence has been achieved .

That may or may not include the SNP but my guess if it does it would be in a more minor role than its current dominance in Holyrood 

patman post

Not sure I wholly agree with idea that Independence is firmly embedded in the brain.   
As I see it, two factors could alter the numbers supporting either Independence or Union outside their core supporters — one is how attractive the future appears under either regime, the other is how the main proponents for each side of the argument are perceived.   
And the two leading advocates for Scottish independence kicking lumps off each other seems unlikely to reinforce support for them or their ideas...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

As we know polls are just a flavour of where people are at not fact .  Something like independence isn't something you change your mind about is it ?  You either support it or you don't 

The SNP are a different matter 

GBNews

Has support for the SNP and independence slipped?

Polling expert Prof John Curtice looks at whether the Salmond inquiry has affected attitudes towards the governing party.

Source: Has support for the SNP and independence slipped?