Salmond and Sturgeon: How the best of political double acts fell apart

Started by GBNews, March 06, 2021, 01:55:30 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on March 17, 2021, 09:14:58 PM

Sorry Tommy,I was having a bit of a wind up.  :)

The way you have been hammering the Labour party recently I thought you saw them as a threat, although with only about 20% of the vote in the opinion polls, not much of one.

Whatever happens, it looks as though the Scots will have an interesting election. In London the village idiot has taken 2021 off so the Labour party have wheeled out Sadiq Khan. And as I have said ad nauseam, it is a terrible thing but poor, dopey old Saddo is the best of a piss poor field.

I have sort of given up the drink, but under the circumstances I might just get bottled until summer.

Its not that i see labour as a major threat borkie , more the fact i try not to underestimate anyone and im keeping my boot firmly on they labour barstewards necks.

When poor old steve is on here repeating for the millionth time the guff the brothers and sisters dream about , for exmaple a local income tax, its hard not to come on and reply with great detail labours hypocrisy on the matter. You know , i remember the lefties on the ancestor of this current forum back about 11 years ago when labour were still in power talking about a local income tax , and lo and behold steve is regurgitating it yet again all these years later despite labour voting against it in scotland , and doing nothing about it when they were in power in england.

Its like listening to a feckin broken down record.

As for saddo khan , feck me borkie i thought our politics displayed a lack of talent but khan is something else.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on March 17, 2021, 08:08:36 AM
Not quite borkie.

No party is ever well entrenched , and any party that thinks that way , ie labour , is doomed.

The old scottish conservative and unionist party , before it amalgamated with the english conservatives in 1965 , won the highest recorded share of the vote in scotland at one point in political history.Fast forward 40 years , and they were bouncing along the bottom along with the other fringe pressure groups.

British nationalist parties dont tend to do very well in scottish politics........it might seem different on the face of it , but scratch the surface , and you will see the truth in what i am saying.

As soon as the old scot tories , who believed strongly in the scottish nation in the empire , became a de facto english party , they were doomed.

As soon as the brothers and sisters let their mask slip and stood with the tories under the banner of british nationalism , they were doomed also.

The snp and especially their leadership are going through a bit of a blip at the minute. After 14 years in power , its not unexpected . I keep telling you though , the idea that scot politics is going back to "the good old days" of the sweaties voting for labour and knowing their place is long gone.

There will be twists and turns along the way , ups and downs , and new independence parties appearing on the scene. So we will see what we will see come may .

Sorry Tommy,I was having a bit of a wind up.  :)

The way you have been hammering the Labour party recently I thought you saw them as a threat, although with only about 20% of the vote in the opinion polls, not much of one.

Whatever happens, it looks as though the Scots will have an interesting election. In London the village idiot has taken 2021 off so the Labour party have wheeled out Sadiq Khan. And as I have said ad nauseam, it is a terrible thing but poor, dopey old Saddo is the best of a piss poor field.

I have sort of given up the drink, but under the circumstances I might just get bottled until summer.

Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on March 16, 2021, 07:28:44 PM
And Bonnie Prince Charlie got as far Derby before he realised that, while the Scots like a bit of a laugh and a joke, they want stolid competence rather a lot of fat chaps bonking the hired help.

As Tommy has said, the Labour party is well entrenched in Scotland and means to fight, so it is to early to count the brothers and sisters out.

Not quite borkie.

No party is ever well entrenched , and any party that thinks that way , ie labour , is doomed.

The old scottish conservative and unionist party , before it amalgamated with the english conservatives in 1965 , won the highest recorded share of the vote in scotland at one point in political history.Fast forward 40 years , and they were bouncing along the bottom along with the other fringe pressure groups.

British nationalist parties dont tend to do very well in scottish politics........it might seem different on the face of it , but scratch the surface , and you will see the truth in what i am saying.

As soon as the old scot tories , who believed strongly in the scottish nation in the empire , became a de facto english party , they were doomed.

As soon as the brothers and sisters let their mask slip and stood with the tories under the banner of british nationalism , they were doomed also.

The snp and especially their leadership are going through a bit of a blip at the minute. After 14 years in power , its not unexpected . I keep telling you though , the idea that scot politics is going back to "the good old days" of the sweaties voting for labour and knowing their place is long gone.

There will be twists and turns along the way , ups and downs , and new independence parties appearing on the scene. So we will see what we will see come may .

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on March 16, 2021, 07:11:23 PM
Aye and the liberal party had a well established presence in the UK up to the early part of the last century and now you can fit them in a couple of taxis. :P

And Bonnie Prince Charlie got as far Derby before he realised that, while the Scots like a bit of a laugh and a joke, they want stolid competence rather a lot of fat chaps bonking the hired help.

As Tommy has said, the Labour party is well entrenched in Scotland and means to fight, so it is to early to count the brothers and sisters out.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on March 16, 2021, 04:55:34 PM
Well yes and no.

The Labour party currently has 1 seat out of 59 in Scotland which is not something the brothers and sisters are likely to be too happy about. On the other hand things can't get any worse. And they have a well established presence north of the border, so things might well pick up.
Aye and the liberal party had a well established presence in the UK up to the early part of the last century and now you can fit them in a couple of taxis. :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on March 07, 2021, 05:34:13 PM
Neither would I. My discussion on Labour party forums with Scottish party members convinces me of that, Blairites many of them, many others willing to side with the hated Tories against the SNP, unable to see how this plays into SNP hands. The Scottish Labour party are in trouble.

Well yes and no.

The Labour party currently has 1 seat out of 59 in Scotland which is not something the brothers and sisters are likely to be too happy about. On the other hand things can't get any worse. And they have a well established presence north of the border, so things might well pick up.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on March 07, 2021, 05:34:13 PM
The Scottish Labour party are in trouble.

No such thing.

Labour party are a british party , and the scottish branch merely a regional division controlled from london ,as various branch managers like johann lamont kezia dugdale etc have repeatedly said down the years.

This  , and this alone , is british labours big big problem in scotland , where they have to face in two different directions , often contradicting themselves , to try and appease scottish and english voters.

Brexit and trident renewal among many many other issues , where the scottish branch is constantly overruled by the british head office , as prime examples.

The british labour party in london is merely interested in scottish voting fodder to prop up their political battles in the english parliament in london , and coudltn give a feck about local scottish issues except to pay lip service when it suits on the odd occassion.

Every scottish man woman and child know it , hence why labour are in the position they are now in scotland. Years of neglect and disinterest by groups like the feeble fifty and many others have contributed to where labour are now.

srb7677

Quote from: Sheepy on March 07, 2021, 04:11:36 PM
I wouldn't go counting any Scots votes for the Labour party just yet, they might well be getting a dose of reality but I wouldn't bet on some great Labour victory from it all.
Neither would I. My discussion on Labour party forums with Scottish party members convinces me of that, Blairites many of them, many others willing to side with the hated Tories against the SNP, unable to see how this plays into SNP hands. The Scottish Labour party are in trouble.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on March 06, 2021, 09:58:50 PM
I am loathe to intrude on private grief. I'll just wave this....  Union Flag...at Thomas
I wouldn't go counting any Scots votes for the Labour party just yet, they might well be getting a dose of reality but I wouldn't bet on some great Labour victory from it all.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on March 06, 2021, 09:58:50 PM
I am loathe to intrude on private grief. I'll just wave this....  Union Flag...at Thomas

On the subject of grief.........to all my layabout lefty friends .

Please remember  , you are being offered a "jab" not a " job".

So no need to panic steve :D

srb7677

Quote from: News on March 06, 2021, 01:55:30 AM

The enviable political duo who ran Scotland together is now long gone. So, what went wrong?

Source: Salmond and Sturgeon: How the best of political double acts fell apart
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

GBNews

The enviable political duo who ran Scotland together is now long gone. So, what went wrong?

Source: Salmond and Sturgeon: How the best of political double acts fell apart