Small Obscure Political Party Loses its Leader

Started by HDQQ, March 07, 2021, 10:29:28 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on March 08, 2021, 04:56:30 PM
Already happened @Borchester, Amazon warehouses use robots all over the place and the now shop in London has nobody working there at all.

Steve's a good lad and means well, so we should not chastise him for snatching the bread from the mouths of the poor

Although sod it, why not ?

PS. I would like to add a cheesy grin icon to this post but they seem to have disappeared.
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on March 08, 2021, 03:48:03 PM
Plus, if you put wages up that usually benefits the lowest paid. Which is good. For a bit. Until someone realises that it does not matter how expensive a machine is, it is always cheaper than a human being.  So sooner or later shelfstackers on sod all will be replaced by robots that cost even less

Already happened @Borchester, Amazon warehouses use robots all over the place and the now shop in London has nobody working there at all.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

I suppose while on the subject of small and obscure political parties, how are Scottish Labour, Scottish Tories, Welsh Tories, the Liberal Democrats, the SDP that didn't Join the Liberal Democrats, and the breakaway Brexit Haters who vowed to change the UK forever under the leadership of Miss Sourpuss doing ?

All rather worse, i feel, than the party that when it achieved its political aim of walking out of the Brussels / Strasbourg two ringed circus for the very last time was the largest UK party in the chamber ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on March 08, 2021, 10:18:23 AM
It's about a month since you posted this and the situation hasn't changed. Forcing employers to increase their wage bill puts prices up on the high street. All that happens is that the poorer in society stay on parity with price increases but everyone else sees a price increase.

Plus, if you put wages up that usually benefits the lowest paid. Which is good. For a bit. Until someone realises that it does not matter how expensive a machine is, it is always cheaper than a human being.  So sooner or later shelfstackers on sod all will be replaced by robots that cost even less
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on March 08, 2021, 08:47:35 AMThe minimum wage does what it says on the tin.

It's about a month since you posted this and the situation hasn't changed. Forcing employers to increase their wage bill puts prices up on the high street. All that happens is that the poorer in society stay on parity with price increases but everyone else sees a price increase.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on March 08, 2021, 08:47:35 AM
If you think the powers that be will allow the supply of cheap labour to be cut off you are deluding yourself. The minimum wage does what it says on the tin. It is a minimum below which wages cannot legally be allowed to fall and is therefore a good thing, and a boon to low paid working people. It should be raised to the level of a living wage for all so that all employers pay a living wage. But as you say, that great champion of the working classes, former City banker Farage, would oppose this and doesnt believe in a minimum wage at all. He does though believe in a privatised NHS. He has said so in the past, advocating private health insurance for all.

Some champion of the working classes, lol.

Oh employers will fight it all the way ,its why we have to force them into a corner . On this issue alone leaving the EU was  imperative for low wage earners .
Another example that Labour lost the people , happy to have people at the bottom of the pond on minimum wage while employers feed on their labours .

If you have ever been fortunate enough to receive private healthcare you would maybe understand what Farage was on about with regard the NHS . It was a debate on how we could better fund it , make it better ,how to drag it kicking and screaming into the 21st century .

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on March 07, 2021, 10:53:17 PM
Not at all, Cameron brought on the referendum to shut Farage up. If he hardened the UKIP movement would have grown even more. That's the thing about public opinion, governments can't ignore it for long.
They got away with it for forty years and even convinced a lot of people it was a good thing, until eventually it came crashing down around their ears.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 08, 2021, 08:31:00 AM
Feck me I hope not .

The whole idea of topping up peoples wages with state aid  would be alien to him . More like forcing employers to pay a living wage thus removing the need of it in the first place .
Mass immigration ,the over supply of cheap labour actually made in many cases the minimum wage the maximum wage .

Cutting off the supply of cheap labour (Brexit) pushes up wages at the lower end of the pay scale and reduces pay inequality .
If you think the powers that be will allow the supply of cheap labour to be cut off you are deluding yourself. The minimum wage does what it says on the tin. It is a minimum below which wages cannot legally be allowed to fall and is therefore a good thing, and a boon to low paid working people. It should be raised to the level of a living wage for all so that all employers pay a living wage. But as you say, that great champion of the working classes, former City banker Farage, would oppose this and doesnt believe in a minimum wage at all. He does though believe in a privatised NHS. He has said so in the past, advocating private health insurance for all.

Some champion of the working classes, lol.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on March 08, 2021, 06:37:44 AM
Was Farage responsible for the minimum wage or working tax credits?

Feck me I hope not .

The whole idea of topping up peoples wages with state aid  would be alien to him . More like forcing employers to pay a living wage thus removing the need of it in the first place .
Mass immigration ,the over supply of cheap labour actually made in many cases the minimum wage the maximum wage .

Cutting off the supply of cheap labour (Brexit) pushes up wages at the lower end of the pay scale and reduces pay inequality .

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on March 07, 2021, 10:29:28 AM
Reform Party loses its leader. 
https://news.sky.com/story/nigel-farage-steps-down-as-reform-uk-leader-after-saying-he-has-achieved-his-lifes-work-12238504
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farage-steps-down-reform-uk_uk_6044980dc5b69078ac6bcc29
So the serial resigner who's done so much harm to Britain now wants to hunt down reds under our beds and campaign against young people.
We need to remind ourselves of one concept that's gone out of fashion - the trouble-maker - the person who just likes stirring up trouble for its own sake.

Good to see farage is still getting right up your nostrils duck , and of course how you are still seething about democracy being enacted against your petulant will.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on March 08, 2021, 06:37:44 AM
The notion that Farage has done more for working class people than anyone in Labour is laughable. All Farage has ever contributed to is Brexit, the results of which to working class people are going to be mixed at best. Was Farage responsible for the minimum wage or working tax credits?

I admit that under New Labour the list of things done for the working classes is not a long one, but it is still longer than anything Farage achieved.

As ever you ignore the point in streetwalkers post .

Which is again to point out , as many of us do repeatedly , why labour have fallen out of fashion uk wide.

If labour had done their job right , for example in england to represent the views of the eurosceptic majority , then as streetwalker hints at , labour might still be a force rather than a has been party of no hopers .

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 07, 2021, 10:33:02 PM
In the days when the Labour party used to represent the working man they were more eurosceptic than the Tories . It was only when the Welsh windbag took the reigns and sold Labours soul for a bag or two of gold (he along with the rest of his family still have their noses in the trough ) that labour changed their tune .

Would you call Tony Benn a scumbag  , Ernest Bevin a petty nationalist or Clement Attlee a racist ?    Maybe if Labour had stuck to their core beliefs on Europe Farage would still be working in the City .

But you keep missing why labour are where they are and insult a man who has done more for working class people in this country than any labour politician has in the past 50 years .
The notion that Farage has done more for working class people than anyone in Labour is laughable. All Farage has ever contributed to is Brexit, the results of which to working class people are going to be mixed at best. Was Farage responsible for the minimum wage or working tax credits?

I admit that under New Labour the list of things done for the working classes is not a long one, but it is still longer than anything Farage achieved.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on March 07, 2021, 11:25:35 AM
Not without good reason. If only he hadn't got up David Cameron's nose so much he'd be as forgotten as Kilroy-Silk by now.

Not at all, Cameron brought on the referendum to shut Farage up. If he hardened the UKIP movement would have grown even more. That's the thing about public opinion, governments can't ignore it for long.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 07, 2021, 10:33:02 PM
Would you call Tony Benn a scumbag

For his politics ? Quite likely

He was, however, a pedant extreme for adherence to parliamentary procedure. Were he and not his offspring in the chamber today, I feel the immediately prior speaker and his toxic cabal would have been reined in
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on March 07, 2021, 05:49:35 PM
....a petty nationalist, racist, scumbag, and a charlatan to boot.

In the days when the Labour party used to represent the working man they were more eurosceptic than the Tories . It was only when the Welsh windbag took the reigns and sold Labours soul for a bag or two of gold (he along with the rest of his family still have their noses in the trough ) that labour changed their tune .

Would you call Tony Benn a scumbag  , Ernest Bevin a petty nationalist or Clement Attlee a racist ?    Maybe if Labour had stuck to their core beliefs on Europe Farage would still be working in the City .

But you keep missing why labour are where they are and insult a man who has done more for working class people in this country than any labour politician has in the past 50 years .