SKY News'Large numbers' of nurses could quit after 'slap in the face' pay rise offer

Started by GBNews, March 08, 2021, 07:24:29 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Can see any one leaving a full time job at the moment.

Just as a comparison here is what the armed forces get: A lot less than the medical profession...Oh, and they get shot at as well.

A sergeant with 12 years is on less than a grade 6 nurse with 7/8 years.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Agency nurses in England cost NHS trusts £1.5 billion a year in 2018. Put another way, the trusts paid for an additional 79 million hours of registered nurses' time at a premium rate – 61% above the hourly rate of a newly qualified nurses in full-time employment. 
https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/workforce/nurse-shortages-costing-nhs-1-5bn-a-year-in-agency-and-bank-fees-14-05-2018/

There's no reason to believe it was less in 2020, or will be less in 2021. The convergence of Brexit and Covid has highlighted the make-do-and-mend attitude govts have to the NHS. It's the same approach to running a nationalised industry that govts took for years when running the railways — cut expenditure to prop up shortfalls elsewhere, and take cheap expedients when crises happen...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

I rather doubt it will make any difference here. They have huge reliance on agency ones already.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GBNews

'Large numbers' of nurses could quit after 'slap in the face' pay rise offer

The proposed 1% pay rise for NHS staff is a "slap in the face" and large numbers of nurses could quit after the pandemic, a union has warned as pressure grows on the government over the row.

Source: 'Large numbers' of nurses could quit after 'slap in the face' pay rise offer