Boris Johnson pledges cut to National Insurance

Started by Borchester, November 20, 2019, 08:39:57 PM

« previous - next »

Ciaphas

Quote from: Churchill post_id=6798 time=1574328372 user_id=69
Trying to put more money into the back pockets of those on lower wages is a good idea why knock it, IMO as I understand it the threshold of what a person can earn before they have pay NI, will start at £8,500 and rise gradually to £12,500.

It benefits the poorest least so marketing it as a policy to help those on low income is misleading.

Only those currently earning over £12,500 a year will get the full benefit. In practice you need to do about 28 hrs a week to earn 12000 a year if you are 25+, 30hrs a week if you are 21-24, and 37.5hrs a week if you are 18-20.

Given the number of people, particually the young, in insecure minimum wage paying work it's likely many will fall beneath the 12000 cut off point.

Churchill

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=6804 time=1574329594 user_id=89
But it benefits all it is not a targeted policy, targeting all especially raising it to £12000 will cost around a £billion and a half for every £1000 the threshold is increased.

It is an easily seen through tactic exposed within minutes of Boris announcing it.

Yes it does which is good for all those in work, it allegedly is already in the Tories Manifesto Boris let it slip early, talking too fast again.

You remind me of an old joke doing the rounds in the bad old says of the 70's and 80's

Union Leader addressing a workforce in the factory yard, Comrades the strike is over our demands have been met, you will have a £200 a week wage rise back dated 5 years, you will now only have to work 8 hours a week  on a Wednesday, you would be at the back shouting " What every bloody Wednesday, not having that "
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Churchill

Quote from: Barry post_id=6809 time=1574331386 user_id=51
Of course it is a good policy to ensure richer people pay N.I. at a higher rate then lower earners.

But there's no pleasing some people, Churchill. Especially those in the opposing parties. They'll oppose anything, just for the sake of it.

I think so as well,
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Barry

Quote from: Churchill post_id=6802 time=1574329303 user_id=69
It is aimed at those in work on low wages is that not a good thing to do, ?

It is akin to the Tories raising the threshold before taxation on income begins, which I think was also a good thing to do

Of course it is a good policy to ensure richer people pay N.I. at a higher rate then lower earners.

But there's no pleasing some people, Churchill. Especially those in the opposing parties. They'll oppose anything, just for the sake of it.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=6802 time=1574329303 user_id=69

But it benefits all it is not a targeted policy, targeting all especially raising it to £12000 will cost around a £billion and a half for every £1000 the threshold is increased.

It is an easily seen through tactic exposed within minutes of Boris announcing it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Churchill

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=6799 time=1574328518 user_id=89
Because all the over 30 million in work benefit, it is not targeted at the poor.

It is akin to the Tories raising the threshold before taxation on income begins, which I think was also a good thing to do

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=6798 time=1574328372 user_id=69
Trying to put more money into the back pockets of those on lower wages is a good idea why knock it,

Because all the over 30 million in work benefit, it is not targeted at the poor.

Churchill

Trying to put more money into the back pockets of those on lower wages is a good idea why knock it, IMO as I understand it the threshold of what a person can earn before they have pay NI, will start at £8,500 and rise gradually to £12,500.

Ciaphas

It seems those on the lowest working income benefit least from this making it strange that this is being pitched at low paid workers. Mr Javid has made noises about cutting inheritance tax or making it easier to avoid. It'll be interesting to see how they try and spin this as being beneficial for poorer people with limited assets

It makes me wonder how Mr Johnson plans on funding his manifesto policies (Whatever they are) if he's planning on cutting taxes further. Cost estimates in the article range from £2b to £11b.

Mr Johnson also claimed it would save people £500 only to be corrected by a Conservative press release citing £100 savings a year. Quite a mistake to make but he'll get a free pass from those parts of the media who seem to adore him.

Looking at the various outlets those on the right are reporting savings in the region of £400-£500n whereas those on the left are reporting the £100 and noting the discrepency.

papasmurf

That is not the big deal it looks like, for those on Universal Credit it will make little difference.

Borchester

Algerie Francais !