SKY News'Project Gigabit': First areas to get 'lightning-fast broadband' revealed

Started by GBNews, March 19, 2021, 07:00:14 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

The Virgin Media connection was in Stourbridge with a co-ax connection to the cabinet which was visible from our front room.
The Sky connection is in a village near Tonbridge and is 600m from the cabinet and has overhead copper cables to a pole then underground to the cabinet, JoG. If that's what you wanted to know. We had teething troubles with Sky but it's brilliant now.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on March 19, 2021, 09:15:12 PM
This is utter rubbish. Investment in infrastructure is good, and creates a few jobs.
However, if we have Internet connections which are reliable and above 25 Mbps anything more is superfluous.
This is where Virgin Media are going wrong. They think speed is everything, but a reliable connection is really important and they don't provide it.
And I speak as an ex Virgin Media customer, who was given a load of BS when the TV kept buffering.
Since having Sky BB there has been no buffering. Funny that.
Virgin Media was supposed to be 100 Mbps and the TV kept buffering or failing to stream.
Sky BB is supposed to be over 30 Mbps and the TV never buffers.
I know which I prefer.

I wonder when, and exactly where, this was.

From the very start, Cabletel's TV and phone performance depended on whether you were a customer reached through their 'torus' the original network infrastructure, or outside it. This discrimination has persisted.

For me, sitting at the end of a branch line, I had NTL and then Virgin telling me I had amazing speeds that they routinely upped by damn fees for but their DNS was shyte as Nd their packet losses were unbelievable.

What cheeses me RIGHT off is my mate who lives about six miles north has uninterrupted 300Mbit which gives his £4000 worth of gaming pc kit the frame refresh rate from paradise, but that's entirely because Cabletel bought out the infrastructure that Maggie first put in place to allow RAF Norholt and Greenham Common to communicate with the wilder parts of wooly Wales which got decommissioned when the cruise missiles got sent home, and Virgin have since used those pipes to lay decent fibre where thieving pikeys who think it's copper can't nick it.

I got pissed off with Virgins miserable outages on this equivalent of a beeching axed railway siding last year and told them to rock off. I'm now on a deal with Vodafone that gives me 50 mcguffins for £25 a month which is more than enough for two fire sticks and three pcs running VPNs with teams.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

This is utter rubbish. Investment in infrastructure is good, and creates a few jobs.
However, if we have Internet connections which are reliable and above 25 Mbps anything more is superfluous.
This is where Virgin Media are going wrong. They think speed is everything, but a reliable connection is really important and they don't provide it.
And I speak as an ex Virgin Media customer, who was given a load of BS when the TV kept buffering.
Virgin Media was supposed to be 100 Mbps and the TV kept buffering or failing to stream.
I know which I prefer.
I returned to Virgin because it is separate from BT.   
Mrs was coaxed into changing to EE and we had OpenReach stringing copper wire across the street. Result was inconsistent speed and poor landline phone quality. We changed back to Virgin ASAP and the instant response is noticeable...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

I know which I prefer.

That's why I have SKY TV and Virgin broadband (avg speed of 900 meg)
When there's 6 people in the house either online gaming or watching Netflix you need speed.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

QuoteMinisters claim Project Gigabit will accelerate recovery from COVID, fire up high growth sectors like tech and the creative industries and level up the country, spreading wealth and creating jobs the breadth of Britain.
I know which I prefer.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: News on March 19, 2021, 07:00:14 PM
'Project Gigabit': First areas to get 'lightning-fast broadband' revealed

Boris Johnson is promising a "rocket boost" for parts of the country with slow broadband - in the latest pledge in his "levelling up" agenda.

Source: 'Project Gigabit': First areas to get 'lightning-fast broadband' revealed
Recent experiences with OpenReach lead me to hope BT has little to do with this...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

GBNews

'Project Gigabit': First areas to get 'lightning-fast broadband' revealed

Boris Johnson is promising a "rocket boost" for parts of the country with slow broadband - in the latest pledge in his "levelling up" agenda.

Source: 'Project Gigabit': First areas to get 'lightning-fast broadband' revealed