Pfizer warns EU to back down on Covid vaccine threats to UK

Started by Borchester, March 20, 2021, 09:56:23 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on March 30, 2021, 09:24:23 PM
Who is talking about courts? Not me.

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-key-differences-between-the-eu-and-uk-astrazeneca-contracts/

Nor is Gerry. According to him Ursula Leyen can simply issue a fatwa and all exports from the EU cease.

A good lad our Gerry, but this fantasy of his about strapping Frauleins cracking the whip and him trembling in delighted anticipation is a tad worrying. 
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on March 30, 2021, 09:10:03 PM
[HIGHLIGHT]whos talking about courts.[/HIGHLIGHT] The Eu if it wishes will just stop shipments, no courts involved. If the uk doesnt likevit they can take itbup at some european court.
Like the way India has decided to stop exports hurting AZ Delivery schedule, nothing the UK can do but sit back and watch.

If you look at the UK contrat its based on best efforts, thats what a judge would read. No explicit committment from AZ. Have you a link to this lawyers comment, ive read that comments were based on the uk having explicit "must deliver to uk first" but these clauses dont exist. Care to share the source of that info.

Who is talking about courts? Not me.

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-key-differences-between-the-eu-and-uk-astrazeneca-contracts/
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on March 30, 2021, 07:18:30 PM
You can read the contracts all you want Gerry, they will tell you nothing about the differences.

The U.K. contract is written in English law, which will judge whether both parties delivered the goods based on the exact wording of the contract. The EU contract is written in Belgian law, which focuses on whether both parties tried their best to deliver the goods and acted in good faith.

It's these extra details that give the U.K. more leverage to ensure its contract is delivered effectively. While both contracts say all parties will make their "best reasonable effort" to deliver the vaccine, the U.K. government is clearer in asserting its oversight of the agreement.

This core difference, according to a lawyer familiar with the development of the U.K. text, can be chalked up to the fact that the contract sealed with London was written by people with significant experience of purchasing agreements, specifically drug-buying deals.[highlight] The European Commission's contract, by contrast, shows a lack of commercial common sense[/highlight], in the lawyer's view.

As for numbers, you can rattle them off all you want, the U.K. is being serviced by AZ, the EU isn't. And you keep telling us that the EU members can do the same as the U.K., why aren't they? Thomas has just pointed out that it's all staring to unravel, Austria threatening to block shipments, where have I heard that before? Pass out the popcorn 😆
whos talking about courts. The Eu if it wishes will just stop shipments, no courts involved. If the uk doesnt likevit they can take itbup at some european court.
Like the way India has decided to stop exports hurting AZ Delivery schedule, nothing the UK can do but sit back and watch.

If you look at the UK contrat its based on best efforts, thats what a judge would read. No explicit committment from AZ. Have you a link to this lawyers comment, ive read that comments were based on the uk having explicit "must deliver to uk first" but these clauses dont exist. Care to share the source of that info.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on March 30, 2021, 04:09:35 PMIt emerged Brussels, in prioritising price over watertight contracts shoved itself to the back of the queue.

You can read the contracts all you want Gerry, they will tell you nothing about the differences.

The U.K. contract is written in English law, which will judge whether both parties delivered the goods based on the exact wording of the contract. The EU contract is written in Belgian law, which focuses on whether both parties tried their best to deliver the goods and acted in good faith.

It's these extra details that give the U.K. more leverage to ensure its contract is delivered effectively. While both contracts say all parties will make their "best reasonable effort" to deliver the vaccine, the U.K. government is clearer in asserting its oversight of the agreement.

This core difference, according to a lawyer familiar with the development of the U.K. text, can be chalked up to the fact that the contract sealed with London was written by people with significant experience of purchasing agreements, specifically drug-buying deals.[highlight] The European Commission's contract, by contrast, shows a lack of commercial common sense[/highlight], in the lawyer's view.

As for numbers, you can rattle them off all you want, the U.K. is being serviced by AZ, the EU isn't. And you keep telling us that the EU members can do the same as the U.K., why aren't they? Thomas has just pointed out that it's all staring to unravel, Austria threatening to block shipments, where have I heard that before? Pass out the popcorn 😆

Thomas

austrians in talks with russia to buy sputnik vaccine , by passing and giving the two fingers to the European  medicines agency  , which hasnt approved it .

LOL.
Austria in talks to buy a million doses of Russia's Sputnik V vaccine

VIENNA (Reuters) - Austria is in talks with Russia to buy a million doses of its Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine, which has yet to be approved by the European Medicines Agency, Chancellor Sebastian Kurz's office said on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-austria-sputnik/austria-in-talks-to-buy-a-million-doses-of-russias-sputnik-v-vaccine-idUSKBN2BM1HV?il=0

By the time gerry and the bhoys try and fail to build up a head of steam under sir keir knight of the realm for the uk to rejoin the eu might very well have fallen out and ceased to exist. ;D

Gerry badfellow the blairite would be seriously feckin gutted if that happened.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Seen this wan bhoys?

EU unity in action lmfao.
Austria threatens to halt EU's 100M vaccine buy until it gets greater share of jabs

Austria is threatening to block the European Commission from securing another 100 million BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine doses unless Vienna gets a bigger slice of the delivery, according to diplomats from three EU countries.

The move is the latest escalatory tactic from Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz, who has been agitating for his country to receive a greater share of EU vaccines — even though data show Austria isn't among the countries in greatest need. And it's an ultimatum some fear could imperil a critically needed shipment of jabs as the EU desperately looks for ways to increase vaccine production and supplies.

The fight centers on an upcoming delivery from BioNTech/Pfizer.

https://www.politico.eu/article/sebastian-kurz-austria-threatens-to-block-eu-option-to-buy-100-million-coronavirus-vaccine-doses-in-fight-over-distribution/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1617104515

Thank feck we have left. :D

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on March 29, 2021, 09:21:01 PM
Well it looks like the truth is finally starting to emerge about the EU's vaccine deal.

"It emerged Brussels, in prioritising price over watertight contracts shoved itself to the back of the queue. As a result, AstraZeneca, which has a deal to supply the EU with 180 million doses, has only managed 70 million."

It turns out that the EU have a 'best efforts' contract and the U.K. have an exclusivity deal.

My heart bleeds purple p@ss.
Can you show where you got that, because I've looked at both contracts, which I posted here very recently, can't remember the thread.
First both the UK and EU had "best reasonable efforts" clauses
The EU signed the contract with AZ before the UK did
The EU gave 336m euro to AZ to develop the vaccine and help manufacturing. The UK gave 65.5stg
The EU ordered 300m with an option to increase that to 400m not 180m as you thought.

How's that purple p1ss ?  and I suggest you get a better source for your info.

Nick

Well it looks like the truth is finally starting to emerge about the EU's vaccine deal.

"It emerged Brussels, in prioritising price over watertight contracts shoved itself to the back of the queue. As a result, AstraZeneca, which has a deal to supply the EU with 180 million doses, has only managed 70 million."

It turns out that the EU have a 'best efforts' contract and the U.K. have an exclusivity deal.

My heart bleeds purple p@ss.

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on March 20, 2021, 09:56:23 AM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/19/pfizer-urges-eu-back-away-vaccine-blockade-threat/

I wondered why Boris was being so cocky, but it appears that the secret ingredients for the drug are grown in Yorkshire. Although this will make my brother in law an even bigger pain in the arse than usual, it will give the UK the whip hand in future negotiations.

Yep was reading that earlier borkie , the brother in law ( lives in france) was saying to us last night how the french deeply disaprove of both the eu and macrons handling of the poor vaccine roll out in France , while the french government are trying to blame both big pharma for not delivering , and local doctors for having unused stock sitting about  which is of course being rubbished in the press as pressure mounts on macron and the eu.

Looks like the eu have picked the wrong fight here , and its a win win situation for the uk government.

Borchester

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/19/pfizer-urges-eu-back-away-vaccine-blockade-threat/

I wondered why Boris was being so cocky, but it appears that the secret ingredients for the drug are grown in Yorkshire. Although this will make my brother in law an even bigger pain in the arse than usual, it will give the UK the whip hand in future negotiations.
Algerie Francais !