Teacher suspended in West Yorkshire

Started by cromwell, March 25, 2021, 06:34:29 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on March 28, 2021, 03:31:24 PM
Not exactly what it says in your link:
"The organisers behind the online petition claim to be students at the West Yorkshire school."

Sounds a bit more exact than your tenuous edl theory.

QuoteWhich doesn't answer the main point about the wisdom of using a cartoon that some find inflammatory, and the apparent surprise at the reaction to its use.

And I'd already demonstrated to you why other people find things inflamatory or get angry but then are dismissed wholesale as right wing or nazi

QuoteAs the teacher and the school have both apologised, it would appear that a degree of fault has been recognised and some sense has kicked in.   
It might be good if the protesting Muslim parents now demonstrated that theirs is a religion of peace by calming the hotheads among them. They could also seek to instruct the school and its teachers about Islam before teachers try include it in further courses..
Well hardly surprising the teacher has apologised when he's in hiding and had seen what happened to the french teacher in the same boat.

And to that in bold Pat it might be good if the powers that be instructed the muslim community that they are free to follow their religion and enjoy many freedoms denied in their native lands but we are a western democracy where the idea of free speech and the ability to question and discuss is (or should be the norm) sadly Pat we have seen where those in authority have been fearful of acting and what did it lead to? the scandals in Rotherham and elsewhere and the rise of Stehen Yaxley Lennon (who if you look back on the forum I hold no truck with) to compare animal farm by Orwell "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others" is fair and a situation that cannot be allowed to be fostered otherwise you really will see support for the far right blossom which will be to no ones interests but a few.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on March 28, 2021, 09:53:00 AM
Well there we go pat the kids at he school started a petition in support of the teacher.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-56548667
Not exactly what it says in your link:
"The organisers behind the online petition claim to be students at the West Yorkshire school."
Which doesn't answer the main point about the wisdom of using a cartoon that some find inflammatory, and the apparent surprise at the reaction to its use.
As the teacher and the school have both apologised, it would appear that a degree of fault has been recognised and some sense has kicked in.   
It might be good if the protesting Muslim parents now demonstrated that theirs is a religion of peace by calming the hotheads among them. They could also seek to instruct the school and its teachers about Islam before teachers try include it in further courses...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

DeppityDawg

Quote from: cromwell on March 28, 2021, 09:53:00 AM
Well there we go pat the kids at he school started a petition in support of the teacher.

Funny isn't it. Middle class snootiness dismissing it nothing more than a spat in some nowhere northern town. Don't upset the locals people.

Didn't we have a thread recently discussing a more critical teaching of the British Empire and a more Frank discussion on "racism" in wider British society? Presumably none of us are against shining a light on the abuse that's gone on in the Catholic (or any Christian) church either. Call out the Royal family as racist, chuck a few statues of churchill in a canal.

But dear me we mustn't be critical of the untouchable religion in case they get offended and behead someone.

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on March 27, 2021, 02:10:26 PM
Whether this is a Christian country or not doesn't concern me. But I do believe it's generally civilised and mostly caring. And my views are not anti Charlie Hebdo — I enjoy reading it when I can and enjoy it's sometimes vicious digs at sacred cows.

However, I am questioning the wisdom of a teacher (or school) showing some of the magazine's contentious contents as teaching material to pupils they should know would be offended — would a verbal description and an explanation of why it wasn't actually shown have diminished the point?

A reaction happened and now there's an avoidable situation at Batley Grammar School which has been high-jacked with extremist views being shouted from various quarters.

We (the general public) don't yet know the full story. We don't know if the material that's caused the upset is generally used as part of a recognised school course, or was decided on by the teacher. But even if the whole course were approved, I would still think it was unwise to use this cartoon at any school.

This is not about free speech, it's about learning, sometimes by example, to become part of a cohesive society...

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on March 27, 2021, 12:24:03 AM
Yep and it might look odd considering some other things I've stood on but that illustrates the importance of being able to say what you believe to be true.
Well personally I am not much on the Chinese ideas of sorting it all out or the neo-Liberal idea that is all somebody else's fault.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on March 26, 2021, 11:16:49 PM
Really Pat?
So you have alluded to a nebulous edl connection and the stupidity considering the reactions to charlie hebdo.it can't have escaped your attention that we are nominally a christian country,a western democracy with ideals of freedom of expression and the right to question,we are not a muslim state.

As it happens I admire charlie hebdos right to lampoon and pity that we don't have such a publication here.

So basically Pat you must mean a teacher who discusses and questions racism must be stupid in case it causes some extremist reaction? charlie hebdo very recently depicted a cartoon of the Queen kneeling on the neck of meghan markle a la george floyd,should we sever diplomatic relations with France? perhaps issue a warning like a fatwa we have agents of the state ready to right that insult by killing those cartoonists at the earliest opportunity.

This is a western state with western values,that allows freedom of expression and people able to freely worship and follow their chosen religion, that does not give right to impose the lunacy that attaches itself to some religions.

If people cannot follow the norms and mores of this society they should sod off to one that they believe suits them better,if anyone believes that makes me a nazi and racist is as mad as those who want to change our society to theirs.

fantastic put down cromwell. Well said.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

patman post

∆∆∆   

That could be but, in all honesty,  do you really think that's so...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on March 27, 2021, 02:10:26 PM

However, I am questioning the wisdom of a teacher (or school) showing some of the magazine's contentious contents as teaching material to pupils they should know would be offended

It could be that the teacher realised that whatever he said, someone would be offended, because being offended is a major growth industry.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on March 26, 2021, 11:16:49 PMReally Pat?
So you have alluded to a nebulous edl connection and the stupidity considering the reactions to charlie hebdo.it can't have escaped your attention that we are nominally a christian country,a western democracy with ideals of freedom of expression and the right to question,we are not a muslim state.

As it happens I admire charlie hebdos right to lampoon and pity that we don't have such a publication here.

So basically Pat you must mean a teacher who discusses and questions racism must be stupid in case it causes some extremist reaction? charlie hebdo very recently depicted a cartoon of the Queen kneeling on the neck of meghan markle a la george floyd,should we sever diplomatic relations with France? perhaps issue a warning like a fatwa we have agents of the state ready to right that insult by killing those cartoonists at the earliest opportunity.

This is a western state with western values,that allows freedom of expression and people able to freely worship and follow their chosen religion, that does not give right to impose the lunacy that attaches itself to some religions.

If people cannot follow the norms and mores of this society they should sod off to one that they believe suits them better,if anyone believes that makes me a nazi and racist is as mad as those who want to change our society to theirs.
Whether this is a Christian country or not doesn't concern me. But I do believe it's generally civilised and mostly caring. And my views are not anti Charlie Hebdo — I enjoy reading it when I can and enjoy it's sometimes vicious digs at sacred cows.

However, I am questioning the wisdom of a teacher (or school) showing some of the magazine's contentious contents as teaching material to pupils they should know would be offended — would a verbal description and an explanation of why it wasn't actually shown have diminished the point?

A reaction happened and now there's an avoidable situation at Batley Grammar School which has been high-jacked with extremist views being shouted from various quarters.

We (the general public) don't yet know the full story. We don't know if the material that's caused the upset is generally used as part of a recognised school course, or was decided on by the teacher. But even if the whole course were approved, I would still think it was unwise to use this cartoon at any school.

This is not about free speech, it's about learning, sometimes by example, to become part of a cohesive society...

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 26, 2021, 12:26:06 PM
The headmaster has chosen the path of least resistance in suspending the teacher 

I see this as freedom verses faith and  do we now accept that fundamentalist Muslims now have a veto on what is taught at this school  ?
Because that is in effect what has happened and the head should  be ashamed of himself

I hesitate to cite the media source as patman and co probably consider it even more of a hitler arse licker than the daily heil but it has been brought to my attention this morning that the labour mayoral candidate in the town has very recently deleted her original pro Mohammedan "these Moslems have the right to be offended" bullshit twatterverse response, and replaced it with something not far off the Tory candidates response that no teacher should be faced with needing police protection....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Really Pat?

Great post, Cromwell. I agree every word.
I just couldn't be asked to reply to PP's nonsensical airy fairy passive/aggressive flaming.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on March 26, 2021, 11:32:13 PM
You taking a stand there Cromwell?
Yep and it might look odd considering some other things I've stood on but that illustrates the importance of being able to say what you believe to be true.

Sheepy

Really Pat?

You taking a stand there Cromwell?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on March 26, 2021, 01:52:59 PM
Just because something is not against the law doesn't mean it has to be practiced. 
It strikes me that any RE teacher who's not aware of, or willng to ignore, the earlier reactions to the Charlie Hebdo cartoons must be particularly stupid and unsuited to being in charge of pupils. 
I heard one phone-in call this morning where the member of the public wondered if the teacher was sympathetic to EDL-type views...
Really Pat?

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on March 26, 2021, 01:52:59 PM
Just because something is not against the law doesn't mean it has to be practiced. 
It strikes me that any RE teacher who's not aware of, or willng to ignore, the earlier reactions to the Charlie Hebdo cartoons must be particularly stupid and unsuited to being in charge of pupils. 
I heard one phone-in call this morning where the member of the public wondered if the teacher was sympathetic to EDL-type views...

And of course the utterly impartial BBC is falling over itself to give Wright to the views of some Moslem who admits he has no children at the school but finds it deeply offensive to all followers of his cult that these cartoons were shown.

Time the T@@@ had it explained to him in no uncertain terms that English law gives him no protection from being offended, whilst what his pals did because they were should earn them a rope and a short fall down a long drop
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>