Looks like Portugal is sh*tting on its expats

Started by johnofgwent, April 03, 2021, 11:23:04 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on April 07, 2021, 08:24:57 PM
Its not just Portugal, many countries employ this requirement.
Dont forget to tell your friend florida property taxes run at 0.98% every yr. A couple of grand each yr. Golf is more expensive, so are flights, cost of living and a real pain to pop out for the weekend.
But then brexiteers knew what they were voting for, so im told, so they would know all this.

So what your saying is the evil EU empire made things easier and cheaper for people, that people you know would prefer to have a holiday home 12hr flight from home, that costs more per yr in propeet tax. Thats logical.
Hows inheritance tax now your out of the eu
As though any of that changes the fact that the EU is a sack of shit.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 07, 2021, 08:08:53 PM
Ive no problem with it Gerry . My  whole argument with the EU was that countries , sovereign nations that is ,can do what they want to do without interference from  unelected wanna be empire builders in Brussels .

My comments were for information only , on what the Porto geezers would do if you dont pay your taxes and a jovial remark about a mate whose villa we have used on a couple golf trips .He will no sell up and buy a place in Florida (Yippee ! )

Good on Portugal , they may find the English £ is spent elsewhere and they have made an error but its their error to make .
Its not just Portugal, many countries employ this requirement.
Dont forget to tell your friend florida property taxes run at 0.98% every yr. A couple of grand each yr. Golf is more expensive, so are flights, cost of living and a real pain to pop out for the weekend.
But then brexiteers knew what they were voting for, so im told, so they would know all this.

So what your saying is the evil EU empire made things easier and cheaper for people, that people you know would prefer to have a holiday home 12hr flight from home, that costs more per yr in propeet tax. Thats logical.
Hows inheritance tax now your out of the eu

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on April 07, 2021, 06:45:04 PM
Looks like this requirement was introduced in 2002, lets say that again 2002. This has nothing to do with the big bad EU punishing the UK.

The Eu in fact argued with Portugal and in 2011 it was agreed any EU citizen could reside in any EU country and didn't need to appoint a fiscal rep. Now Brexiteers knew what they were voting for, or at least that's what people on here have been saying for years and years. So I'm sure you would have known leaving the EU would mean you need to comply with this 2002 law, yest that's the 2002 law.

So what's your problem, Portugal not making an exception for the UK, god forbid that the UK gets treated the same as other 3rd countries. Maybe you just like sensationalist articles.

Since 2002 it had been obligatory in Portugal for any non-resident person who owned property to appoint a fiscal representative to receive correspondence from the tax department and ensure that the fiscal responsibilities of clients are fulfilled – submitting the necessary tax returns and paying all taxes.

In 2011, however, the European Court of Justice ruled that EU residents could not be compelled to have fiscal representation because this obligation violated the rights of free movement of people and capital.

https://algarvedailynews.com/finance/18037-brexit-and-fiscal-representation-in-portugal

Ive no problem with it Gerry . My  whole argument with the EU was that countries , sovereign nations that is ,can do what they want to do without interference from  unelected wanna be empire builders in Brussels .

My comments were for information only , on what the Porto geezers would do if you dont pay your taxes and a jovial remark about a mate whose villa we have used on a couple golf trips .He will now sell up and buy a place in Florida (Yippee ! )

Good on Portugal , they may find the English £ is spent elsewhere and they have made an error but its their error to make .

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 03, 2021, 11:55:53 AM
They will just sell the property (steal it)  and pay off the fine

A pal of mine has a Villa in Portugal  and got an Irish passport after Brexit to cover any problems , or so he thought .
The plastic Paddy will be spitting sardines with this news . ;D
Looks like this requirement was introduced in 2002, lets say that again 2002. This has nothing to do with the big bad EU punishing the UK.

The Eu in fact argued with Portugal and in 2011 it was agreed any EU citizen could reside in any EU country and didn't need to appoint a fiscal rep. Now Brexiteers knew what they were voting for, or at least that's what people on here have been saying for years and years. So I'm sure you would have known leaving the EU would mean you need to comply with this 2002 law, yest that's the 2002 law.

So what's your problem, Portugal not making an exception for the UK, god forbid that the UK gets treated the same as other 3rd countries. Maybe you just like sensationalist articles.

Since 2002 it had been obligatory in Portugal for any non-resident person who owned property to appoint a fiscal representative to receive correspondence from the tax department and ensure that the fiscal responsibilities of clients are fulfilled – submitting the necessary tax returns and paying all taxes.

In 2011, however, the European Court of Justice ruled that EU residents could not be compelled to have fiscal representation because this obligation violated the rights of free movement of people and capital.

https://algarvedailynews.com/finance/18037-brexit-and-fiscal-representation-in-portugal

Streetwalker

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 03, 2021, 11:55:53 AM

A pal of mine has a Villa in Portugal  and got an Irish passport after Brexit to cover any problems , or so he thought .

His names no geraldine from catford by any chance? ;D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on April 03, 2021, 11:27:34 AM
Thanks for that john , interesting story  , and as your article makes clear utterly ridiculous.

How they gonnae enforce these fines if people tell them to feck off and are living outside portugal?

They will just sell the property (steal it)  and pay off the fine

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 03, 2021, 11:23:04 AM
https://www.portugalresident.com/brexit-small-print-threatens-fines-for-tens-of-thousands-of-uk-resident-portuguese-brits-with-second-homes-in-portugal/

This one's not quite as bad as Spain

But clearly shows why we're better out of the dictatorship

It seems Portugal is demanding any Portuguese citizens resident in the UK or Brits with material interests on their soil either nominate a Portugal based contact or face fines or confiscation.

Just how legal this is I don't know. The example given is one close to hime as a baker in the village up the road is in the same boat.

A woman born in Portugal, living in the UK with an elderly relative still in portugal who is now deemed of insufficient mental state must find someone to nominate as their fiscal representative or face court action that can include seizure and disposal of assets.

This matters to the family up the road from us who have the exact issue. An elderly mother still living on Portuguese soil in a house they (the family here) maintain.

Fortunately for them, friends in Portugal are available. You need no qualifications to be this representative, all you need us a letterbox ! Lawyers are however rubbing their hands in glee at the fees they can charge.

Thanks for that john , interesting story  , and as your article makes clear utterly ridiculous.

How they gonnae enforce these fines if people tell them to feck off and are living outside portugal?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

https://www.portugalresident.com/brexit-small-print-threatens-fines-for-tens-of-thousands-of-uk-resident-portuguese-brits-with-second-homes-in-portugal/

This one's not quite as bad as Spain

But clearly shows why we're better out of the dictatorship

It seems Portugal is demanding any Portuguese citizens resident in the UK or Brits with material interests on their soil either nominate a Portugal based contact or face fines or confiscation.

Just how legal this is I don't know. The example given is one close to hime as a baker in the village up the road is in the same boat.

A woman born in Portugal, living in the UK with an elderly relative still in portugal who is now deemed of insufficient mental state must find someone to nominate as their fiscal representative or face court action that can include seizure and disposal of assets.

This matters to the family up the road from us who have the exact issue. An elderly mother still living on Portuguese soil in a house they (the family here) maintain.

Fortunately for them, friends in Portugal are available. You need no qualifications to be this representative, all you need us a letterbox ! Lawyers are however rubbing their hands in glee at the fees they can charge.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>