Looks like Portugal is sh*tting on its expats

Started by johnofgwent, April 03, 2021, 11:23:04 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Portugal shitting on expats? That will make Brits living there feel right at home. Because most of us living in the UK are used to our own governments shitting on us all the time.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on May 20, 2021, 08:56:25 AMAnd today I see it's reported that British people visiting France or Spain will need to provide proof of accommodation before being allowed in.

You need to get out more if you think giving information on your accommodation is not the norm when travelling.

Over a month on from your post, did this scaremongering story ever become reality?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 03, 2021, 11:23:04 AMBut clearly shows why we're better out of the dictatorship

But the "dictatorship" prevented this sort of thing from happening when we were in it.

And today I see it's reported that British people visiting France or Spain will need to provide proof of accommodation before being allowed in.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 08, 2021, 04:00:25 PM
And there lies the problem , the Brits have been getting away it
Possibly so, but the majority of Brits were living in these accommodation's and maybe renting for the couple of months they were in the UK, that money most likely being spent in Portugal. I think most would turn a blind eye to that. But I wouldn't like to be a person that just rents and doesn't declare the income. In Ireland if your doing that it can become very very expensive if your caught. For example say your income from rent was 50k, if revenue catch you they will backdate any tax due for all the yrs you own the property, lets say 2 yrs. Then they do a very nasty calculation, they say for you to take 50k/yr after paying tax your original earnings would need to have been 75K and the tax would have to be 25k/yr, for the two yrs that's then a unpaid tax bill of 50k for the 2 yrs, ouch. Next they add unpaid interest and maybe penalties which can bump that up considerably. It would have been far cheaper to pay the tax on the original 50k. Revenue will give you decades to pay this back but if your retired and not earning, considering you prob have two houses they would look for quick payment, probably meaning the investment property would have to be sold.
If your not going to pay tax you really should know the penalities so you can judge if what your doing is worth it.

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 08, 2021, 03:13:19 PM
It stops people who live outside the EU from not paying taxes , it does little to catch those within it which I would say is a bigger problem
Start in the European Parliament and commission.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on April 08, 2021, 03:44:27 PMIt stops people who live outside the EU from not paying taxes , it does little to catch those within it which I would say is a bigger problem
Quote from: GerryT on April 08, 2021, 03:44:27 PM
Not really, If a ROI resident has a property in Portugal generating an income they would have to pay tax on that income in ROI. If people aren't going to report their income it doesn't really matter what laws you have. But within the EU there is open sharing of information from state to state so it's very difficult to get away with it and with time your bound to be caught. This rule catches countries outside the EU where there isn't sharing of information.
And there lies the problem , the Brits have been getting away it

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 08, 2021, 03:13:19 PM
It stops people who live outside the EU from not paying taxes , it does little to catch those within it which I would say is a bigger problem
Not really, If a ROI resident has a property in Portugal generating an income they would have to pay tax on that income in ROI. If people aren't going to report their income it doesn't really matter what laws you have. But within the EU there is open sharing of information from state to state so it's very difficult to get away with it and with time your bound to be caught. This rule catches countries outside the EU where there isn't sharing of information.

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on April 08, 2021, 01:40:29 PM
This has been a requirement since 2002, this is nothing new, what did UK residents think would happen post brexit. Its not a problem for Portuguese residents. Lots of countries have this requirement. Denmark, Greece, Hungary, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and these are considering it Spain, Netherlands, France and Estonia. It's a good idea, stops people not paying taxes.

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 08, 2021, 07:17:59 AM
Gerry he has already got an Irish passport . This isnt as far as I know a problem for UK/non EU  nationals but  rather UK residents  including Portuguese ones with second homes in Portugal .
This has been a requirement since 2002, this is nothing new, what did UK residents think would happen post brexit. Its not a problem for Portuguese residents. Lots of countries have this requirement. Denmark, Greece, Hungary, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and these are considering it Spain, Netherlands, France and Estonia. It's a good idea, stops people not paying taxes.

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on April 08, 2021, 12:30:12 AM
Actually i played a public course there about 8yrs ago and it was only $50, which is cheap and a great course. But its not a cheap place to live, get your mate to try get an Irish passport and he can stay where he is, if not plenty of people will snap up a good villa in Portugal, beautiful country. But for thosecstaying i'd recommend getting strong advise on inheritence tax as being a 3rd country now it could go badly.

Gerry he has already got an Irish passport . This isnt as far as I know a problem for UK/non EU  nationals but  rather UK residents  including Portuguese ones with second homes in Portugal .

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 07, 2021, 10:11:43 PM
As a resident golf is actually a cheaper in Florida than almost anywhere Ive been Gerry , you just have to know one who will book up for you  ;)

But yes countries have their own rules , great isnt it .

Inheritance tax doesn't kick in below £350K  (thats a guess)  so I may as well sell the drum and spend a few quid so the kids dont pay tax on it  ;D
Bay Hill anyone ?  Dancing
Actually i played a public course there about 8yrs ago and it was only $50, which is cheap and a great course. But its not a cheap place to live, get your mate to try get an Irish passport and he can stay where he is, if not plenty of people will snap up a good villa in Portugal, beautiful country. But for thosecstaying i'd recommend getting strong advise on inheritence tax as being a 3rd country now it could go badly.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on April 07, 2021, 10:58:50 PM
Don't talk rubbish, you have no way of testing how prices have been affected. We're in a pandemic which has floored the whole world.
Your talking rubbish. There has been no new law introduced, these laws are around near 20 yrs and many UK immigrants living in Spain/Portugal and other EU countries voted for brexit. Now complaining about being deported or having additional costs/formalities. They should have known this, maybe some wouldn't have been so quick to vote the way they did.
Talk about turkeys voting for christmas, and guess what, just like this thread it blames the EU when this was what brexiteers voted for. This is what you wanted. Wasn't removing freedom of movement a big brexit ticket item.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on April 07, 2021, 08:24:57 PMDont forget to tell your friend florida property taxes run at 0.98% every yr. A couple of grand each yr. Golf is more expensive, so are flights, cost of living and a real pain to pop out for the weekend.
But then brexiteers knew what they were voting for, so im told, so they would know all this.

Don't talk rubbish, you have no way of testing how prices have been affected. We're in a pandemic which has floored the whole world.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

As a resident golf is actually a cheaper in Florida than almost anywhere Ive been Gerry , you just have to know one who will book up for you  ;)

But yes countries have their own rules , great isnt it .

Inheritance tax doesn't kick in below £350K  (thats a guess)  so I may as well sell the drum and spend a few quid so the kids dont pay tax on it  ;D
Bay Hill anyone ?  Dancing

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on April 07, 2021, 09:35:53 PM
As though any of that changes the fact that the EU is a sack of shit.
Now come on Sheeps,out with it say what you mean. ::)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?