When the COE comes attack from within?

Started by Sheepy, April 04, 2021, 10:04:21 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 05, 2021, 07:50:34 AMShould we bring back feeding you lot to lions then ?
Decapitation seems to be the favoured choice of the moment.
But, yes, Christianity actually seems to do better under adversity. Rising in China, rising in North Korea, rising in Pakistan, falling in the UK.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on April 04, 2021, 08:22:18 PM
I must agree. A combination of weak leadership with little apparent Spiritual guidance and as you say a propensity for jumping on various secular bandwagons perhaps in an effort to stay relevant. I don't understand why that relevance is so important to them. Faith should be seen as steadfast and unfaltering, based on certain unmoveable foundations. (Thanks for being gentle, I don't feel threatened by other's unbelief but it's still nicer to talk rather than yell)

Should we bring back feeding you lot to lions then ?

I remember about forty years ago when there was still an iron curtain, various people of religious fervour used to put it about that the faithful beyond that curtain had a pretty miserable time under the godless Soviet yoke, but that the fervour such problems bred was on a par with that shown by the disciples in biblical times.

Of course, there was no satellite TV then, let alone internet, so who could tell if this picture was real ?
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on April 04, 2021, 07:48:15 PM
I find it really puzzling when a Church has representatives who seem to differ in their beliefs and doctrine even to the point of putting secular demands before God's/Jesus' teaching. It must make following it's teachings almost impossible.

That's when they call it a broad church, just before they go off and join a political party ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on April 04, 2021, 08:15:23 PM
Desperation in terms of relevance and bandwagon jumping.

I appreciate you are religous so please accept im trying not to offend , but the reality is the vast majority couldnt care less what someone in the church of your country england says on anything , and i would imagine thats true of england itself never mind anywhere else , and further , yet another low profile person attempting to whip himself publicly over institutional prejudice racism blah blah within his organisation so he can bask in the glow of guardian reading liberals while the vast majority are all out of guilt on the subject.

As i said , desperate soundbites from an organisation with dwindling membership.

I think its going to take a lot more than politically correct soundbites to revive the churches fortunes dont you?

https://www.psephizo.com/life-ministry/what-is-happening-to-church-of-england-attendance/

I must agree. A combination of weak leadership with little apparent Spiritual guidance and as you say a propensity for jumping on various secular bandwagons perhaps in an effort to stay relevant. I don't understand why that relevance is so important to them. Faith should be seen as steadfast and unfaltering, based on certain unmoveable foundations. (Thanks for being gentle, I don't feel threatened by other's unbelief but it's still nicer to talk rather than yell)

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on April 04, 2021, 08:05:18 PM
Why desperation?

Desperation in terms of relevance and bandwagon jumping.

I appreciate you are religous so please accept im trying not to offend , but the reality is the vast majority couldnt care less what someone in the church of your country england says on anything , and i would imagine thats true of england itself never mind anywhere else , and further , yet another low profile person attempting to whip himself publicly over institutional prejudice racism blah blah within his organisation so he can bask in the glow of guardian reading liberals while the vast majority are all out of guilt on the subject.

As i said , desperate soundbites from an organisation with dwindling membership.

I think its going to take a lot more than politically correct soundbites to revive the churches fortunes dont you?

https://www.psephizo.com/life-ministry/what-is-happening-to-church-of-england-attendance/

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on April 04, 2021, 07:55:59 PM
The whole story smacks of desperation toots in every way possible.

Why desperation?

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on April 04, 2021, 07:48:15 PM
I find it really puzzling when a Church has representatives who seem to differ in their beliefs and doctrine even to the point of putting secular demands before God's/Jesus' teaching. It must make following it's teachings almost impossible.

The whole story smacks of desperation toots in every way possible.

T00ts

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on April 04, 2021, 11:06:15 AM
FFS , is that the english church getting it in the neck now sheep and being accused of being prejudiced against all the usual suspects?

As i said yesterday sheep , im no religous , but the christian church is such an easy target that rarely if ever fights back.

I wait with baited breath on hearing about an openly gay white iman in some mosque welcoming in all these cruelly oppressed minorities with open arms sipping a glass of wine while shouting bottoms up.

All getting feckin so so boring now.

As borkie is fond of saying , the vast majority of us all are so out of guilt now and fed up with it all. The good reverend doesnt appear to be speaking to his flock or peers , but more like making a  warm cuddly cosy labour party soundbite and tale of structural woe and deep oppression for the media.

Who actually gives a feck? Must be a slow news day.

Maybe that is the problem there is nobody left to fight back, except Barry of course, he keeps asking questions so I think it only right Boris is drawn from his lair and answers him.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

Quote from: Thomas on April 04, 2021, 11:06:15 AMI wait with baited breath on hearing about an openly gay white iman in some mosque welcoming in all these cruelly oppressed minorities with open arms sipping a glass of wine while shouting bottoms up.
Oh ho ho ho. :)
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on April 04, 2021, 10:04:21 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/church-of-england-culture-can-treat-minorities-like-germs-says-dean-of-st-paul-s/ar-BB1fhpSY?ocid=msedgntp

FFS , is that the english church getting it in the neck now sheep and being accused of being prejudiced against all the usual suspects?

As i said yesterday sheep , im no religous , but the christian church is such an easy target that rarely if ever fights back.

I wait with baited breath on hearing about an openly gay white iman in some mosque welcoming in all these cruelly oppressed minorities with open arms sipping a glass of wine while shouting bottoms up.

All getting feckin so so boring now.

As borkie is fond of saying , the vast majority of us all are so out of guilt now and fed up with it all. The good reverend doesnt appear to be speaking to his flock or peers , but more like making a  warm cuddly cosy labour party soundbite and tale of structural woe and deep oppression for the media.

Who actually gives a feck? Must be a slow news day.