Main Menu

It can't be wrong

Started by cromwell, April 24, 2021, 09:13:19 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Rev Paula Vennells has resigned her directorships  of supermarket chain Morrisons, and home furnishings retailer Dunelm, following Friday's verdict by the Court of Appeal

I don't know what percentage of ordained business leaders end up in holy ordure, but following the Co-op's Crystal Methodist, it might be fairly high...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Paula Vennells now has plenty of free time. I wonder if she will keep her CBE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Vennells#Early_life_and_education

I wonder if she will keep her own liberty. She appears to have lied to Parliament in 2015, and if that is true, she knew and allowed all those people to be falsely convicted.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Im pretty much with posty on this . From the word go when people were ignored on claiming a fault in the system the post office hierarchy  have not covered themselves in glory but been shown to be incompetent at best in handling it . 

lots of compo coming their way , may not cover it but will help .

patman post

The Post Office was separated from Royal Mail in 2012 and it claims there have been no prosecutions since 2015. 
Only two of the current group executive appear to have been Post Office employees in 2015 or before — the rest joined the Post Office later, though the employment history of the guy responsible for IT is unclear, he was "head of digital" in 2015** 
The Rev Paula Vennells stepped down as Post Office chief executive in February 2019. 
She walked away nearly £5m richer while hundreds of loyal employees were still falsely branded thieves. Under the seven-year leadership of Vennells, an Anglican minister, the Post Office had relentlessly pursued subpostmasters/mistresses for alleged offences such as theft and false accounting.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/apr/23/post-office-aggressive-pursuit-of-staff-ex-boss-paula-vennells
** https://www.onepostoffice.co.uk/secure/latest-news/our-products/a-great-week-for-digital/

It's not the faults with the Horizon system that should the main concern here, but the blinkered refusal of senior Post Office management and its acolytes to accept that the Post Office could do anything wrong, even after they were presented with evidence — which now appears to have been later intentionally destroyed. 

Let's hope all the innocent are cleared and that they and their families get substantial compensation...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on April 25, 2021, 09:26:59 AM
If you mean stamps will double to pay the compo why would it? Royal Mail and the post office have had separate board of directors for a while,they are now separate businesses so the liability falls on the post office Royal Mail set stamp prices.

Seeing as I haven't actually posted anything for a good ten years, I wasn't actually aware of that distinction.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 25, 2021, 08:37:45 AM
Can't see the dead ones getting any compo

In law the dead have no reputation to defame.

I forsee the price of a stamp doubling, and the UK MD of the software house getting a peerage to shut them up.
If you mean stamps will double to pay the compo why would it? Royal Mail and the post office have had separate board of directors for a while,they are now separate businesses so the liability falls on the post office Royal Mail set stamp prices.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Can't see the dead ones getting any compo

In law the dead have no reputation to defame.

I forsee the price of a stamp doubling, and the UK MD of the software house getting a peerage to shut them up.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sampanviking

There certainly should be consequences for those at the top.
Its one thing to make a mistake, its quite another to know that there has been a mistake and then to not only cover it up, but to continue to prosecute and ruin hundreds of innocent people.
Whoever was at the top at that time, should be looking at serving a lot of time.

cromwell

That's what those sub postmasters were told,justice of sorts a long time coming but will those who lied and covered up this and saw innocent people ruined be brought to book?.......I doubt it.

I had this argument with someone a while back (not on this or any forum) regarding past miscarriages of justice and why the death penalty can't be justified for hat and other reasons.

No there's Dna I was told and that's infallible.....well nothing is is it,and not too long after the scandal of farmed out criminal science lab in Manchester emerged.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56718036
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?