Modern English women and their European counterparts

Started by Baron von Lotsov, November 24, 2019, 09:12:35 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=12973 time=1578843119 user_id=54
Oh dear. It seems you always thrive on extremes.

Singing the company song before you start work is extreme.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=12970 time=1578842506 user_id=89
So do totalitarian states make children sing their national anthem at school assemblies.

Oh dear. It seems you always thrive on extremes.

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=12967 time=1578842390 user_id=63
Can i sing the verse "God Grant That Marshal Wade ..."

I thought your country had its own national anthem john.... :)

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,

Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;

Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mad,

Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

Gwlad!, GWLAD!, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.

Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,

Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd;

Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si

Ei nentydd, afonydd, i fi.

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad tan ei droed,

Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,

Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,

Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.
[/i]

i love this bit in it

QuoteFor tho' the fierce foeman has ravaged your realm,

The old speech of Wales he cannot o'erwhelm,

Our passionate poets to silence command,

Or banish the harp from your strand.
[/i]
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=12965 time=1578840998 user_id=54
Then it won't surprise you to hear that I would be in favour of a much wider use of the NATIONAL ANTHEM too. The USA is just one country that relishes it's NA

So do totalitarian states make children sing their national anthem at school assemblies.

Thomas

Then it won't surprise you to hear that I would be in favour of a much wider use of the NATIONAL ANTHEM too. The USA is just one country that relishes it's NA and much as I hate the way we follow in the USA boots that's one thing we could do. Remember when we all stood to attention even in our own homes at 10pm when BBC closed down for the night. Likewise at the cinema unless you were a cretin that bounded out before the last line of dialogue in order to miss it.

That's an indoctrination that just might help to put respect back into this country. I hate the fashion of knocking everything British. What other Countries are like us?

Fully agree toots. I often stand and sing loudly for my countries national anthem...

..but you mention "british" ?

Whats wrong with an english national anthem? ;)
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Then it won't surprise you to hear that I would be in favour of a much wider use of the NATIONAL ANTHEM too. The USA is just one country that relishes it's NA and much as I hate the way we follow in the USA boots that's one thing we could do. Remember when we all stood to attention even in our own homes at 10pm when BBC closed down for the night. Likewise at the cinema unless you were a cretin that bounded out before the last line of dialogue in order to miss it.

That's an indoctrination that just might help to put respect back into this country. I hate the fashion of knocking everything British. What other Countries are like us?

Can i sing the verse "God Grant That Marshal Wade ..."

I sang the last verse of All Things Bright and Beautiful at mum;s funeral. The one where we celebrate God CREATING the rich man and the Poor man and ORDERING their estate, meaning god INTENDED the rich man to be rich and the poor man to be poor ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts post_id=12935 time=1578833757 user_id=54
Don't they do an early morning workout too or was that a myth?

in japan. possibly.

In England, no. Well, not for the entire workforce

It was nearly seven years ago so my memory has erased the pain (!) but they had several shift patterns, and something like 90 to 120 seconds before the start of each, a tuneful little ditty would start to blast out of the tannoys, which ended on the stroke of the hour with our ding dong noises akin to hi-de-hi and if you were not at your station by the last of those chimes, god help you.

There were words to that little ditty, and it was quite clear some of the more enthusiastic - and all the japanese staff - used to sing it at their workstation.

The myth is the concept that the "uniformity of the uniform" unified the workforce. The japanese used to sit at their own benches in the canteen and taking an interest in the japanese dishes served up for them was frowned upon. Not that they seemed particularly superior, if anything "our" stuff looked nicer. I got some really wierd looks when i started taking an interest in what the stuff was ... And I suspect had i revealed my interest came from my cousin and best man being married to a japanese woman he met while out there as a project manager for ICI, well ... lets just say i dont think they were keen on a mingling of cultures.  But then a posting to a western company is seem as a punishment,
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=12962 time=1578838727 user_id=89
If you believe that you will believe anything, it is worse than singing a national anthem at school assembly.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=12961 time=1578838316 user_id=54
LOL. Of course it isn't. It is concern for the workforce's well-being. It should be practised much more widely.

If you believe that you will believe anything, it is worse than singing a national anthem at school assembly.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=12959 time=1578838115 user_id=89
It is corporate indoctrination.

LOL. Of course it isn't. It is concern for the workforce's well-being. It should be practised much more widely.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=12958 time=1578837894 user_id=54
An early morning workout is beneficial to both mind and body.

It is corporate indoctrination.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=12943 time=1578835533 user_id=89
A number of companies do that. I would not work for a company that did.

An early morning workout is beneficial to both mind and body. It is far better than copious coffee and a full English.  ;)

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=12934 time=1578833617 user_id=63
try honda of the uk manufacturing. they have a company song

Is it the Beach Boys, "Help me rHonda"?  :)
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=12935 time=1578833757 user_id=54

A number of companies do that. I would not work for a company that did.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=12934 time=1578833617 user_id=63
try honda of the uk manufacturing. they have a company song