Anyone actually like them?

Started by Nick, May 01, 2021, 11:40:50 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on May 01, 2021, 02:24:26 PM
True, but few that have fallen so far.

I was in Thailand once and there were troops in the streets for some reason or other. So an officer came on board the ship to tune into the Beeb to find out what was going on. He had absolutely no faith in the national media and total trust in the BBC.

That was then. These days Auntie can't even get the weather forecast right
Maybe it's just that nothing seems as good as in your younger days, when you may have had some stakeholding in the events.   
This idea occurs because of your recent account of the Crusades — unlike my recent comments on the responsibilities law officials, you were not accused of being irrelevant because you weren't there...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Bit of a childish cartoon — not up to News Quiz or HIGNFY standards — or maybe I don't understand its broader meaning.
I still think the BBC is a reliable news source, and I rank it alongside those like Reuters, Bloomberg, AFP, etc, that I access regularly. That's not to say I dismiss Al Jazeera, CNN, Sky, Channel 4, etc, I just don't dip into them as often.
There's just not enough hours in the day once I get through my "essential" briefings from the FT, Economist, New Scientist, Campaign, Nature, etc.
Maybe that's why I'm not influenced by social media, trolls and WUMs...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on May 01, 2021, 01:28:50 PM
Bit harsh IMO,the Beeb has its faults but there's much worse around the world..

True, but few that have fallen so far.

I was in Thailand once and there were troops in the streets for some reason or other. So an officer came on board the ship to tune into the Beeb to find out what was going on. He had absolutely no faith in the national media and total trust in the BBC.

That was then. These days Auntie can't even get the weather forecast right

Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Bit harsh IMO,the Beeb has its faults but there's much worse around the world..

The vegan thing though I read one recently and I think it was on the Beeb.....a young vegan student,being vegan is fine if that's your belief....however she was on an agricultural course and complained that as part of that was required to visit a farm with animals (shock horror) and maybe even an abbatoir

Oh bugger the media got hold of it and were cornered in to an apology,now beliefs are fine but don't pick a career or job that might conflict wit them.

Like people who get jobs in a supermarket and don't want to scan alcohol at the tills because it's against their religion (they're not being asked to drink it) trouble is there's often so little thought at opposite ends of the spectrum in to such stuff.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sampanviking

I utterly despise the organisation. The Ministry of Truth in all but name....

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.