Labour plans to teach British Empire injustice in schools

Started by Borchester, November 26, 2019, 12:18:47 AM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=7398 time=1574755432 user_id=75
It's important to have a accurate understanding of the UK's history rather than the rose-tinted view of British Imperialism which dominates public perceptions. It's more difficult to maintain attitudes of British exceptionalism when people are made aware of both the good and bad elements of British history.

Arguably these perceptions blind many to the problematic behaviour of contemporary UK. Just look at the governments continued sale of weapons to Saudi Arabia despite them being banned by the courts because the likelyhood of them being used in Yemen.

Furthermore their are obvious benefits in regards to improving the public understanding of why the UK enjoys such a diverse population.

There are however particular demographic who grew up on a diet of British exceptionalism who are going to find it very difficult to adapt their worldview and instead will choose to attack this proposal rather than change. This kind of stuff is right-wing catnip.

I've only learnt these things later on. There has been incredible evil in the history of this country which has been covered up, but also very good things too which have also been hidden, like say what happened during the 10th and 11th centuries, the time after the dark ages.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Churchill

:D

Mine is not Eco Friendly it has to got it off Fred Dibnah, did a swap for an old weather vane, plus the wife is knackered humping buckets of coal up stairs three times a day :roll: hard to get staff these days :D
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Borchester

Quote from: Churchill post_id=7445 time=1574778829 user_id=69
Mines steam driven  :)

Steam! Lucky bugger. I have Charlie Babbage cranking the handle.
Algerie Francais !

Calico Jack

Quote from: cromwell post_id=7408 time=1574766827 user_id=48
And welcome to the forum :hattip

Cheers. ;)

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Borchester post_id=7444 time=1574778719 user_id=62
Shut up you spotty arsed kid..

Me: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Everyone else: God darnit, Mr. Borchester, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

This computer is damn near older than I am. and was probably designed by Ada Lovelace.

Actually, as you were, grandad. You made slightly more sense without any fecking words.

Churchill

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=7440 time=1574777911 user_id=50
Aren't you supposed to say something when you post, Borchester, you daft auld ****?

Shut up you spotty arsed kid..

Me: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Everyone else: God darnit, Mr. Borchester, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

This computer is damn near older than I am. and was probably designed by Ada Lovelace.
Algerie Francais !

Churchill

T00ts

Perhaps it relates to his Pros and Cons thread in chat.  :shrg:

DeppityDawg

Aren't you supposed to say something when you post, Borchester, you daft auld ****?

Borchester

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=7413 time=1574768959 user_id=70
The problem is that most older indigenous British people have been subject to, and indoctrinated by, systemised education formulated in the 1880s and carried through (almost without modification) until the 1970s. The jingoistic induced Pride in Empire was forced into young minds — rather like army square bashing and other military drills — to stifle questioning of detail by swamping with tales of (white British ) derring do. This self-perpetuating indoctrination spawned (and was helped by) Biggles, Dan Dare, Sherlock Holmes, and other boys' heroes in the pages of Hornet, Hotspur, Rover, Skipper, Victor, Wizard, etc, which (together with the Anglican Church) carried their misplaced pride through into adulthood.

It's only since Britain had its Empire wrested away from it and had to treat with former subjugated colonies on a basis of equality, that the enlightened among its establishment influencers and  leaders been forced to confront the many myths of its greatness and re-evaluate what it tells itself in its now diminished status...

They must have been a right bunch of reactionary buggers in the Guyanese education systems. All I got were a bunch of Stalinists who assured me that WWII was won when thousands of Soviet cadres charged up the Normandy beaches and freed Western Europe from the Tories.

As far as I can see Wurzel is doing his best to appeal to Patman Post and any undecided self pitying,  one legged, ethnic transgender voters and and at the same time piss off everyone else.
Algerie Francais !

Churchill

Catch them young enough and they are yours for life, like the NHS Polotics should be kept out of schools teach the three R's the basic building blocks of education encourage them to enjoy learning a well rounded education, there is time enough when they get older to study Polotics if they want to

T00ts

Why is it necessary to control ideas? Education is surely to teach people to think, to make rational decisions and investigate before coming to that decision. Why should they be 'guided' because the Government of the day decided it fits their dogma?

Churchill

Times have changed we could never held onto the Empire after WW2 we were broke our power base gone, no Empire has ever stood the test of time and never will IMHO

patman post

Quote from: Churchill post_id=7426 time=1574773064 user_id=69
The dismantling of the British Empire began in the last century in 1949, most of the countries we did rule are now independent and self Governing and have been for a long time , there are 14 countries that choose to remain in the Commonwealth which we still have some political association with the UK and the Crown, however they are free to stay or leave if they chose to.

Nothing to argue with there — in fact you underline the point that the British Empire has morphed so completely into a Commonwealth of (equal) Nations comprising of 53 nations, that it now includes some (one?) that were never colonised by Britain...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...