In the Name of Equity, California Will Discourage Students Who Are Gifted@maths

Started by Thomas, May 09, 2021, 12:19:53 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Well it is a funny old world ain't it, points of view?
Over the years I have from gone from being shot at to desperately trying to shut me up shutting down any form of income for making sure different viewpoints exist while never taking from the state, now so many of the very ones doing the shutting down, are desperate for our help as they have come for them now. They always were coming for you at some point, you were just too thick and dumb to know it.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

Well, speaking as someone who passed his 11+ at ten and frightened Shirley Williams so much she conspired with Cardiff's LEA to bulldoze the grammar school that exam pass entitled me to attend...

What a silly decision.

Not unexpected of course, the rabid left often think they can screw the bright. Mao Tse Tung and Pol Pot being two obvious examples.

What can I say ? My grand-daughter thanks you for clearing the path to her hair d science or engineering career that will pay for her interest in dance far more than the other way round.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

QuoteIn the Name of Equity, California Will Discourage Students Who Are Gifted at Math

California's Department of Education is working on a new framework for K-12 mathematics that discourages gifted students from enrolling in accelerated classes that study advanced concepts like calculus.

The draft of the framework is hundreds of pages long and covers a wide range of topics. But its overriding concern is inequity. The department is worried that too many students are sorted into different math tracks based on their natural abilities, which leads some to take calculus by their senior year of high school while others don't make it past basic algebra. The department's solution is to prohibit any sorting until high school, keeping gifted kids in the same classrooms as their less mathematically inclined peers until at least grade nine.

"The inequity of mathematics tracking in California can be undone through a coordinated approach in grades 6–12," reads a January 2021 draft of the framework. "In summary, middle-school students are best served in heterogeneous classes."

In fact, the framework concludes that calculus is overvalued, even for gifted students.

"The push to calculus in grade twelve is itself misguided," says the framework.

???

https://reason.com/2021/05/04/california-math-framework-woke-equity-calculus/
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!