Ha Ha Ha well done Leicester

Started by cromwell, May 15, 2021, 08:24:52 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on May 19, 2021, 05:10:02 PMIR35 applications by HMRC often fail because they're not supported by enough fact.

Not sure what you mean by that, IR35 applications? IR35 has only been in force for 6 weeks, not sure how the 'often' part applies.

IR35 pays particular attention to certain criteria.

Do you have financial risk? Lineker: How is he exposed to financial risk?
Are you told how to do your job? Lineker: He has a producer so yes he is told why to do.
Are you told what hours to work? Lineker: Obs... Saturday night.

The guy is employed by the BBC but disguised as self employed. Hopefully he gets nailed to the wall, at least some payback for his beloved Leicester Shitty Tax Dodging Bastards.

....Not that it bothers me 😉

patman post

We've got PAYE and other income, so it's difficult and unwise to try to dodge tax.
IR35 applications by HMRC often fail because they're not supported by enough fact. We'll see what the outcome is with Lineker.   
HMRC currently has many people to chase because of Covid claims — not all of which were/are legit. Expect HMRC to shoot first and attempt to justify later as it tries to fill the government's coffers. But it's likely to take years...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on May 19, 2021, 01:11:39 PM
∆∆∆   

Meaning what — and in relation to what?  Your claim needs some explanation. 
Lineker's a highly paid individual — even though he was badgered by the jealous to forego some of his BBC money. 

Just done our 2020-21 tax returns, and I know the tax demands won't amount to anywhere near Lineker's...

I assume you're not working as disguised employment then? Unlike Lineker.

patman post

∆∆∆   

Meaning what — and in relation to what?  Your claim needs some explanation. 
Lineker's a highly paid individual — even though he was badgered by the jealous to forego some of his BBC money. 

Just done our 2020-21 tax returns, and I know the tax demands won't amount to anywhere near Lineker's...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Gary Lineker handed £4.5 million tax bill, there is a theme going here!!

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 18, 2021, 09:01:16 AMAs I tried to say badly in an earlier post it's the wrong shaped ball to grab my interest

Me to as a rule but Bolton is my, or was my home town so I keep an eye on them. Rugby is my game and I will be going to France in 2023 if they manage to sort out the ticketing debacle.

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on May 17, 2021, 01:50:26 PM
I don't see how the clubs could have been treated in the same way (if that means, point deductions for going into administration) — that rule wasn't brought in until the 2004/2005 season to stop clubs using administration as a way of reducing and restructuring liabilities to creditors without facing any sporting sanction. 

It might seem unfair, but how could points deductions for going into administration be applied retrospectively to previous seasons up to decades before...?

Actually it wasn't really that aspect I was focussed on ...

When Newport County hit the skids, everything was taken from them. The ground, the right to the name, the right to the kit, and the place in the league.

The Exiles as they became known had to start over from scratch. The fans had a con man as the bad guy so it was easy to have common ground with your fellow supporter.

And I recall rival clubs had whiprounds (this way way predated crowdfunding) to add to the kitty to restart so that's saying something surely ...

But they were a different team in a different kit in a different league.

From what I see Leicester have been allowed to carry on as they were. That's not on.

As I tried to say badly in an earlier post it's the wrong shaped ball to grab my interest, but I drove past the billboard that announced the fixtures daily and they seemed to be playing.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: patman post on May 17, 2021, 06:38:15 PMbut I don't see it's the same entity that folded some 20 years ago...

You don't? Same name, same stadium but you don't see it as the same entity!!
BTW, the stadium wasn't even paid for in full.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on May 17, 2021, 05:21:52 PM
Absolutely, and that's not my point. My point is people see it as some fairytale when in fact they cheated local businesses and HMRC to get the title. Notice I didn't use the word win.
Who's this they?
The football club may have the same geographical location in its name (bought from the administrators — whose job it is to realise as much as possible from any remaining assets, and I bet HMRC took the lion's share), but I don't see it's the same entity that folded some 20 years ago...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on May 17, 2021, 01:50:26 PMIt might seem unfair, but how could points deductions for going into administration be applied retrospectively to previous seasons up to decades before...?

Absolutely, and that's not my point. My point is people see it as some fairytale when in fact they cheated local businesses and HMRC to get the title. Notice I didn't use the word win.

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 17, 2021, 09:13:45 AM
I suspect if Leicester had been treated the way Newport Exiles were Nick might feel differently.
I don't see how the clubs could have been treated in the same way (if that means, point deductions for going into administration) — that rule wasn't brought in until the 2004/2005 season to stop clubs using administration as a way of reducing and restructuring liabilities to creditors without facing any sporting sanction. 

It might seem unfair, but how could points deductions for going into administration be applied retrospectively to previous seasons up to decades before...?

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on May 17, 2021, 12:55:08 AM
No, there's a difference between buying the title and buying the title with money you don't have. Especially when you go bump to right of millions  and don't pay the local ambulance service, the one man band that painted the changing rooms, the person who delivers the pies, the local brewery... The list goes on. City spent hundreds of millions on players, fair play to them, that's the capitalist way. Not paying your creditors is criminal, but OK if you're LeicesTAXshire.

Fair enough Nick

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on May 16, 2021, 09:45:57 PM
You sound understandably sore — but if it's Leicester City you're complaining about, is it even the same organisation that went bust?
From what I remember it was bought by a group largely assembled by Lineker, from the administrators. It's possible that if HMRC and others hadn't pushed for winding up, the club might have worked its way through its financial problems.
Anyway, the current situation is that Leicester City FC Plc no longer exists — it's a now limited company owned by a completely new group with Australian and Thai money and headed by a hands-on Thai family that the fans adore.
I wish Arsenal had similar — though hopefully, things there are slowly changing...

I think that's pretty much the core issue Nick raised.

I admit I was taking the piss a little with my example of a certain dodgy DIY shop but let me explain. For decades this little guy was fighting to keep his head above water against the competition from B&Q and so on. And eventually he fell victim.

His business was bought out and run by a bunch of right shysters who flaunted the fact they could register as a ltdco trading as..... And for over a decade opened, sold stuff, went bust, reopened with a cousin in charge....

Part of what I see as a legitimate complaint on Nick's part is the fact that to people like me, who do not follow the details, an organisation utterly different from what it was has picked up and run with the name and been allowed to get away with it.

Again, I do not follow the details and it's the wrong shaped ball and right at the other end of the league tables but we have a local example here.

Some decades ago there was a club called Newport County.

For reasons too boring to go into they believed a lying yank and were soon so far in debt there was no way out.

Their ground was bought by Barratts and is now a slum housing estate.

The fans resurrected the team as Newport AFC which quickly became known as The Exiles as they had to nick other clubs grounds to play on, having none of their own.
They were expressly denied the use of the name of the former club on the grounds it was bankrupt.

They had to start at the bottom of what I believe was then the Vauxhall Conference league and fight their way up.

I suspect if Leicester had been treated the way Newport Exiles were Nick might feel differently.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on May 16, 2021, 08:28:25 PM
Well it's you that said that!

No, there's a difference between buying the title and buying the title with money you don't have. Especially when you go bump to right of millions  and don't pay the local ambulance service, the one man band that painted the changing rooms, the person who delivers the pies, the local brewery... The list goes on. City spent hundreds of millions on players, fair play to them, that's the capitalist way. Not paying your creditors is criminal, but OK if you're LeicesTAXshire.