On freesheets. Sad but true...

Started by Borchester, May 22, 2021, 09:34:58 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on May 22, 2021, 11:07:43 AM
Lebedev also owns the Independent and Live TV.   

In these days of competition from multi media sources, if he can make money from them — even those that are given away free (online and in hard copy) — isn't he worth paying attention to? After all, he doesn't appear to yet need to eke out his pension by battling carrot fly on his local allotment...

But he ain't making money. He is the sort of sad bugger who publish newspapers that no one reads even when they are free.

I have spent most of my life eking out my jobs so that I can spend more time at my allotment.

I don't battle carrot fly. I grow my carrots in a couple of old bath tubs, the sides of which are too high for the flies to reach.

Lebedev and I are both in agreement as to how I should live, with the difference that I am happy with my version while he is paying out telephone numbers to be ignored.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Lebedev also owns the Independent and Live TV.   

In these days of competition from multi media sources, if he can make money from them — even those that are given away free (online and in hard copy) — isn't he worth paying attention to? After all, he doesn't appear to yet need to eke out his pension by battling carrot fly on his local allotment...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

During his maiden speech at the House of Lords earlier this month, Lord Lebedev provided a pithy appraisal of his time as a newspaper proprietor.

"I will be able to teach the House how to make a small fortune," the Evening Standard's majority shareholder said.

"You start with a very large fortune, and then you buy a newspaper.

"Lord Thomson of Fleet is quoted as describing television as a licence to print money. Newspaper publishing also seems to me like printing money, but then giving it away outside Tube stations."

An additional problem with the Evening Standard is apart from losing much of its readership to the Peking Pox, the staff appears to be made up of Tory Remainers and Islington lefties, none of whom have any idea that life exists beyond the North Circular or that the only reason anyone read it in the first place was for Modesty Blaise and Bristow
Algerie Francais !