Biden to warn Johnson over NI

Started by Sheepy, June 07, 2021, 12:08:09 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on June 09, 2021, 05:43:57 PM
The government will eventually find a pragmatic solution to this temporary problem.
One which is not blocked by people who will not consider a logical solution.
One which looks to the future instead of harking on about the past. Until then, we'll wait.

Four and a half years on( edit to add# just realised its now 5 years ffs!!!) and its still jam tomorrow regarding the irish border and "logical solution" codeword for british exceptionalism.

You carry on waiting barry , im not sure anyone else is though.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 09, 2021, 05:43:57 PM
The government will eventually find a pragmatic solution to this temporary problem.

I very much doubt that, I am more likely to see a Yeti riding a Unicorn.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

One which is not blocked by people who will not consider a logical solution.
One which looks to the future instead of harking on about the past. Until then, we'll wait.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 09, 2021, 03:42:55 PM

We did not partition it.

Murderous Irishmen did.

bollocks. You did partition it.

Muderous englishmen invaded ireland and took control , so murderous irishmen returned the favour and took independence.

Those who live by the sword and all that.

As i said to you before john , you are still stuck mentally somewhere between 1850 and 1950.

This is 2021 , and the eu has just annexed another part of your beloved uk , and you are doing nothing but whinging about it , confirming your place in the world today as a much fallen minor power.

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on June 09, 2021, 10:35:39 AM
. Please tell me where the GFA says a customs border cannot be on the Island.

Please tell me where the GFA says you can have a border on the island of ireland?

There's just no point arguing anymore about this barry.

We have been arguing about the same issue since 2016 if not before.

There's simply no point  throwing more objective facts or statistics at this argument because the problem is based on constitutional ideology and as a result both sides will simply find and cherry pick arguments that prove their already decided point.

If you believe your stance on the GFA etc is correct , then fine. Whats the problem barry?

You have been a free independent country since january , so what are you waiting for?

Brexit was a uk vote , so why isnt the "whole " uk leaving?

This blaming everyone else for the decisions of your own government past and present is getting tedious.

No one forced johnson to sign the northern ireland protocol but he and your government gave it the green light.

He , no one else , caved into the EU and allowed them to annex northern ireland .

Boris johnson , no one else , is responsible for "pragmatic english common sense " on the subject as you put it being overturned.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on June 08, 2021, 06:40:27 PM
With specific regard to the 6 counties barry , tell me what the common sense solution is?

Had your government of the day not decided to partition a country that they had ruled as single unit since the tudor times more or less , and carve 6 counties away from the rest , two of which were staunchly nationalist , we might not be here.

Spite though is a terrible thing. It often seems a good idea at the time , but often comes back to haunt you.

The common sense solution would have been the referendum route as i suggested a number of years back , and others , but there you go.

Reap what you sow.

We did not partition it.

Murderous Irishmen did.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

As I said, some people like to block the common sense solutions.
You say you are going over old ground. OK, let's do that. Please tell me where the GFA says a customs border cannot be on the Island.
By the way, I didn't do anything to any poor people.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on June 08, 2021, 08:49:05 PM
The common sense route is to have the border between the UK and the EU on the border between the UK and EU - i.e. on the mainland of the Island of Ireland.

Thats not the common sense solution , merely what you want from your perspective.

Again we go over old old ground that was being discussed from 2016. Its a 300 mile border , as deppity dawg and many others have told you that passes through the middle of towns and villages. Its impossible to secure , being an unnatural border unlike the geographically natural scot english border that is the best part of a thousand years old and runs along rivers moutains and forests.

Further , as gerry told you and others, it also contradicts the GFA , where eu membership of both the uk and ireland was woven into the agreement , and as the irish and nationalism has the americans by their side , was unlikely to be broken by the british for fear of upsetting washington.

So here we are , same problem different day.

The british response so far has been ignore it if we cant get our own way and the problem will go away. Same as scotland.

From what i can see , the problem is getting worse , and again johnson has had the luck if you see it that way of covid taking the attention away from the irish border , but which is now coming back into the spotlight.

Its poetic justice in a way after what you did to those poor people all those years ago partitioning their country and settin up a sectarian apartheid state. One way or the other , the british are going to have to come to terms with northern ireland  , johnson half way house of ignoring it and blabbering his way through isnt a medium term solution.

As i said , churchill was quite happy to give it up to eamon devalera all those years ago during the second world war , as he could see the issues with the place and tried to sell a pig in a poke back to the irish for british interests.

Barry

The common sense route is to have the border between the UK and the EU on the border between the UK and EU - i.e. on the mainland of the Island of Ireland.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on June 08, 2021, 10:08:01 AM
As my old boss used to say, there are no problems, only solutions.
Some people like to block the common sense solutions.

With specific regard to the 6 counties barry , tell me what the common sense solution is?

Had your government of the day not decided to partition a country that they had ruled as single unit since the tudor times more or less , and carve 6 counties away from the rest , two of which were staunchly nationalist , we might not be here.

Spite though is a terrible thing. It often seems a good idea at the time , but often comes back to haunt you.

The common sense solution would have been the referendum route as i suggested a number of years back , and others , but there you go.

Reap what you sow.

Barry

As my old boss used to say, there are no problems, only solutions.
Some people like to block the common sense solutions.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

QuoteBut unionists say it contravenes the 1998 peace deal and London has said the Protocol is unsustainable in its current form after supplies of everyday goods to Northern Ireland were disrupted.

Thats the problem right there , hardcore unionism want the protocol removed , but the majority in northern ireland want to remain in the EU.

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on June 07, 2021, 12:08:09 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/biden-to-warn-uk-pm-johnson-over-northern-ireland-the-times/ar-AAKMlia?ocid=msedgntp
Is he, well maybe we had better warn him over the cluster feck of inner-city America?

Poor old bugger. Does Joe actually know where Ireland is?

For a successful completion of any negotiations there is the need for men of goodwill on both sides. I don't think Ulster has any. I therefore expect Lord Frost and his EU opposite numbers to bunny away happily to no particular purpose until Lucifer comes to Earth wearing thermal underwear because Hell has frozen over or Biden admits to being dead. Either way, it does not matter a lot what Dozy Joe has to say because he is only looking at next year's Congressional elections
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!