What BLM has really done.

Started by Nick, June 09, 2021, 05:16:10 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

What BLM has really done?

It's got many more people talking about the inequalities caused by racism — even some who never bothered to think about it before or considered its consequences.

OK, it's also given those who have prejudiced feelings against others because of race or religion, an extended platform to voice their views. But I guess we can all live with that. And it's also made a few people uncomfortable about the benefits some organisation and people gain from their privileges.

On the thought that it's leading to unsuitable candidates being chosen for jobs, I don't see that legislation-backed anti-discrimination edicts giving people with the required abilities and qualifications the right to be considered for jobs and roles, has got me any job I wasn't fit for. But then, if I were White, would I ever have entertained the thought that I got my job because of my colour...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Does history really teach anything? It might for those who like to make a study of it but let's face it each generation shouts that the past was all a mistake brought on by idiot ancestors. Each generation believes they are superior to their predecessors, better educated, stronger, fairer, more generous etc etc etc. That's even without the slant that so many 'educators' feel duty bound to put on the history often force fed to bored youth.

If history was so educational there would be no wars, equality all round and full tummies.

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on June 09, 2021, 09:37:32 AM
The level playing field is a myth. Choices made by human beings are always subjective. Male, female, fat, thin, blonde, brunette, tall, short, sexual orientation, rich poor, organised, scatty, religious belief or skin colour the choices in life are endless. One person looks at others and a preference will exist. It's a fact of life. Merit should go to the person best suited but in fact that will rarely happen, because my view as to the most suitable will not necessarily match another's. It is an impossible expectation.

The current obsession with attempting to create that Utopia for all is the crazed expectation of youth. It has ever been so but the current ambassadors have the advantage of social media and swift global contact and I hate to say it but a generation that hasn't been taught to think. I remember having a similar argument with my own parents. Perhaps the mistake in modern society is that we have allowed the young to remain childlike for too long. Are we over-protecting them and allowing them to imagine that life is based simply on hedonism?

Sadly like most of the grown-ups they are in for a rude awakening.
How about, pointed out trying to rewrite history doesn't change human nature and it should be there to learn from and all the spite in the world doesn't change it?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

The level playing field is a myth. Choices made by human beings are always subjective. Male, female, fat, thin, blonde, brunette, tall, short, sexual orientation, rich poor, organised, scatty, religious belief or skin colour the choices in life are endless. One person looks at others and a preference will exist. It's a fact of life. Merit should go to the person best suited but in fact that will rarely happen, because my view as to the most suitable will not necessarily match another's. It is an impossible expectation.

The current obsession with attempting to create that Utopia for all is the crazed expectation of youth. It has ever been so but the current ambassadors have the advantage of social media and swift global contact and I hate to say it but a generation that hasn't been taught to think. I remember having a similar argument with my own parents. Perhaps the mistake in modern society is that we have allowed the young to remain childlike for too long. Are we over-protecting them and allowing them to imagine that life is based simply on hedonism?

Sadly like most of the grown-ups they are in for a rude awakening.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on June 09, 2021, 05:16:10 AM
The BLM movement has now dictated that every black person will go through life never knowing if their achievements are real. They will never know that when they got their dream job whether it was on merit or because of the colour of their skin, this is a really sad state of affairs.

I have seen a change on the TV, programs my wife watches, all of a sudden have a change of anchor. I often wonder, are they sitting there wondering whether they only got the gig because of the BLM movement.

Surely it has to be best person for the job gets the job, and if that means all black or all white then so be it.
As to that in bold couldn't agree more and if only eh?
The problem we have is that sadly human beings (or at least some of them) always feel the need to think themselves superior to others,need someone to hate.
In my working life I've been told to sack someone because they're black,my reply was eff off and I eventually was forced out a more compliant moved in who did so,a resulting tribunal where I was expected to come out for the company and didn't and it cost them....good.
I've also been accused of being racist for simply doing my job,it's all so bloody complicated.
We are at the stage where we are expected to feel ashamed for our history,unable to speak for fear of being labelled.....its crap and we all just need to see and treat people as individuals but sadly that doesn't happen.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

The BLM movement has now dictated that every black person will go through life never knowing if their achievements are real. They will never know that when they got their dream job whether it was on merit or because of the colour of their skin, this is a really sad state of affairs.

I have seen a change on the TV, programs my wife watches, all of a sudden have a change of anchor. I often wonder, are they sitting there wondering whether they only got the gig because of the BLM movement.

Surely it has to be best person for the job gets the job, and if that means all black or all white then so be it.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.