Is there anybody out there??

Started by Nick, June 10, 2021, 04:15:30 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on June 10, 2021, 09:52:38 PM
Interesting, how do you know extra-terrestrial life requires the same requirements as human life?

We don't, but we do know that the laws of physics on Earth apply all over the universe. At the moment it is fairly safe to say that liquid water is required for life.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on June 10, 2021, 04:15:30 AM
That is a profound question, one that I hope will be answered before I cast off my mortal coil.

For me there are 2 questions that come from that:

Excluding the question of is Mars, for example habitable with the right gear. What is the driving force for sending a rover to look for life on the red planet? Is it to prove the non-existence of God? I'm kind of in two minds over that. On the one hand I would kind of like to be proved right, that there is no God. But on the other hand I wouldn't want to ram it down the throats of believers and say I told you so.

The second question is for the theologians amongst us. If life was discovered on another planet and categorically disproved the existence of God, how would you accept that, would you accept that?

Whether you're a carbon based life form or a Snottite, the prerequisite for life is still liquid water. And we know Mars and many other planets had and possibly have liquid water. Time and liquid water means life, for me it's just a matter of finding it.
Interesting, how do you know extra-terrestrial life requires the same requirements as human life?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

I'll have a go at some answers, for what it's worth. Before we look at the questions we have to attempt to understand eternity. Eternity - no beginning and no end.

Hypothetically - as we have many unbelievers - that would suggest that what we understand here on earth is not the beginning or end of anything, so logic suggests that not only are there other worlds now defunct having served their purpose but also others still in their infancy and going through a similar if not identical creation that we are slowly recognising here.

What if God is actually the same as us? We know Jesus was seen rising into the Heavens and biblical references promise His return in like manner although with a lot more fanfare. He was once a man and when He rose from the tomb He offered His hands and wounds for them to touch thus proving that He was still in the same form. Although I cannot think of any reference to blood/open seeping wounds etc which suggests some sort of change at that point. When He ascended He was then glorified just as God  Himself is and their splendour is more than we could safely behold as described by many prophets.

If definitive proof was able to be made available then I guess most of us would have to agree, but then we have already been amply warned about false prophets who many will believe is Jesus Christ returned or having the truth. Many things are happening to suggest that that these are in truth the last days although there are many things still to happen. At this point in time I cannot imagine who or what would have sufficient information to persuade myself or many others. Having said that this is also a time when there is a war going on between good and evil. It is all around us and it is interesting how many who don't believe in Christ or God are asking questions about what is happening to the world. We need to pick a side fairly promptly.

Just as an aside that I found interesting just today. Scientists have discovered that meteorites which have struck earth all appear to have come from the same unknown source. Is someone throwing them at us in order to send the world on a pre-planned route? Isn't that a thought?  Dancing  Sorry for the DM ref:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9669403/Meteorites-come-unknown-source-not-different-space-rocks-asteroid-belt-study.html

Barry

Quote from: Nick on June 10, 2021, 02:03:58 PM
No answers to the questions?
No. Because it is a matter of faith.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Barry on June 10, 2021, 10:52:04 AM
I think you'll find that was the 6th day. ;)
And he started work on a Sunday!

No answers to the questions?

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 10, 2021, 01:16:48 PM
He has a lot to answer for ,right from the start if he had pulled his finger out he could have gone for a three day week

"Rome was not built in a day." "It would have been if your time study man had been there."
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on June 10, 2021, 10:52:04 AM

He has a lot to answer for ,right from the start if he had pulled his finger out he could have gone for a three day week

Barry

Quote from: Nick on June 10, 2021, 04:49:48 AMThe old, God created.... and on the 7th day he created man story. He apparently created Man in his own image.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Well if there is life out there and has developed alongst our lines I'm not sure we should be advertising our presence.
If they're further ahead the likelihood is they'll arrive take over and grab what they want and we'll be largely obliterated.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 10, 2021, 05:03:03 AM
If we say God is a cell though a basic life form then all life was created in his image , including ET . God is in fact life

Indeed, but scientists are searching for the conditions necessary for life, that suggests science not creation.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on June 10, 2021, 04:49:48 AM
In several ways...

The old, God created.... and on the 7th day he created man story. He apparently created Man in his own image.

There is one undeniable fact, the laws of physics on the Earth apply across the whole universe, either God created several inhabited planets or evolution was at hand. Evolution would produce, I'm guessing, a similar pattern as here on earth. And assuming a huge asteroid didn't wipe out all other reptilian life on all planets there will be one that has had a reptilian life form that has been around for millions of years, and fairly smart.

If for example Mr Frog steps out of his space ship and announces that the God story was disproved millennia ago on his planet then ET has spoken. Societies way in advance of ours will have the science to prove how our existence was created, they won't have to prove the no existence of God.

If we say God is a cell though a basic life form then all life was created in his image , including ET . God is in fact life

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 10, 2021, 04:31:35 AM
Not that Im religious but how does the existence of  ET prove there is no God .  After all didn't the religions cover it with God created Heaven and Earth . With the discovery of little green men they will just say he created them as well .

In several ways...

The old, God created.... and on the 7th day he created man story. He apparently created Man in his own image.

There is one undeniable fact, the laws of physics on the Earth apply across the whole universe, either God created several inhabited planets or evolution was at hand. Evolution would produce, I'm guessing, a similar pattern as here on earth. And assuming a huge asteroid didn't wipe out all other reptilian life on all planets there will be one that has had a reptilian life form that has been around for millions of years, and fairly smart.

If for example Mr Frog steps out of his space ship and announces that the God story was disproved millennia ago on his planet then ET has spoken. Societies way in advance of ours will have the science to prove how our existence was created, they won't have to prove the no existence of God.

Streetwalker

Not that Im religious but how does the existence of  ET prove there is no God .  After all didn't the religions cover it with God created Heaven and Earth . With the discovery of little green men they will just say he created them as well .

Nick

That is a profound question, one that I hope will be answered before I cast off my mortal coil.

For me there are 2 questions that come from that:

Excluding the question of is Mars, for example habitable with the right gear. What is the driving force for sending a rover to look for life on the red planet? Is it to prove the non-existence of God? I'm kind of in two minds over that. On the one hand I would kind of like to be proved right, that there is no God. But on the other hand I wouldn't want to ram it down the throats of believers and say I told you so.

The second question is for the theologians amongst us. If life was discovered on another planet and categorically disproved the existence of God, how would you accept that, would you accept that?

Whether you're a carbon based life form or a Snottite, the prerequisite for life is still liquid water. And we know Mars and many other planets had and possibly have liquid water. Time and liquid water means life, for me it's just a matter of finding it.