Got an Electric Bus ? Remember to tow a diesel generator !!

Started by johnofgwent, June 15, 2021, 08:52:47 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 16, 2021, 10:42:01 AM
I would never have posted such a nasty warranted insult.

There is no such thing as a warranted nasty personal insult.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

I do apologise, but if you weren't acting an obtuse plank by doing your trick of quoting a part of a post without having understood the whole of it to make a non existent point, I would never have posted such a nasty warranted insult.

I only quote the relevant part of posts. (That bus is still at the Eden Project.)
The unreliability of EV charging points is frankly a scandal especially when the ones not working are not reported.

Borchester

I do apologise, but if you weren't acting an obtuse plank by doing your trick of quoting a part of a post without having understood the whole of it to make a non existent point, I would never have posted such a nasty warranted insult.

:) :)
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 16, 2021, 10:23:31 AM
There is no need for very nasty unwarranted insults.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 16, 2021, 10:25:01 AM

I cannot believe I am actually bothering to reply to you

But you are completely wrong

Sorry but the two charging points at the Tesco in the nearest town to me are NOT capable of charging a bus and also a bus could not get anywhere near them.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/touring-electric-coach-stranded-eden-5524525

As well as the five charging points in Cornwall which could not be used to charge the vehicle there were another five on the journey from London to Cornwall which could not be used.

In Cornwall the electric coach visited the following charging points but were unable to successfully charge the vehicle:

Bodmin Business Park – Genie Point – 50kW – machine not working, despite Zapp Map not reporting an issue.
Bodmin Morrisons – Genie Point – 50kW – recognised the coach but did not deliver the charge.
Kingsley Village – Shell – New Motion – Tritium charger – 170 kW – registered coach and charge left on coach but would not charge
Cornwall Services – Ecotricity – 50 kW – error with the charger, engineer informed but did not work. At 11pm we met a Nissan Leaf driver who had tried three other charging stations experiencing problems.
Eden Project car park – Genie Point – 50 kW – recognised the coach but did not deliver the charge.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on June 16, 2021, 10:09:22 AM
He didn't say they were, you obtuse plank.
He was going to use them to charge his Nissan Leaf to ferry off the passengers.

And sad git that I am, I've actually wasted 15 minutes of my tea break to prove he's quite wrong and say why ....!!

Funny thing is, I looked up those charger points after my daughter's fiance' joked on ARSEbook that I might take a diesel generator in my milk float (it's a titanium white electric car, what other name could I call it) ... And since posting the madcap idea, I've had half a dozen e-mails from other owners suggesting we actually DO it as a PR stunt !!!!!

Which, if I were retired and not in need of working to keep food and beer supplies coming, I might actually have done just for the giggles ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on June 16, 2021, 05:09:41 AM
There is no way those are cable of charging that bus. (Also there is no way a bus could get near those charging points.)

I cannot believe I am actually bothering to reply to you

But you are completely wrong

https://www.gregorypoole.com/electric-bus-guide/

The "standard" connectors on electric trucks and buses are, as this chap, who seems to know a bit about it, says, "standard" for the 100kwh charging points that are industry recommended (i.e. you want the damn thing charged in l as than a week)

HOWEVER

Just as my Nissan Leaf came with TWO charging cables, one of which terminates in a three pin plug but the other terminates in what is now thank heavens an industry standard "type 2" connector as found on ALL PodPoint charge stations, so the all-electric transit van my neighbour down the road has comes with a cable that WOULD allow his meaty 100kwH connector to suck juice at a miserly 7kwh from the unit I had fitted to the outside wall of the house ten years ago.

And as that link points out, that works for buses too.

In fact NEWPORTs single decker electric buses carry those conversion cables too. My daughter asked the driver she chats to daily on her run to work. The guy said he'll hear it in mind if he gets in a fix. It would be rather cool for the Tesco Free Bus to St Mellon's to help itself to some VW paid for juice while it's waiting for the shoppers to return ... I'll pop a suggestion in !!!

And ACTUALLY there is MORE than enough room to park a coach on the electric charging bay area in several of the FREE to use Tesco EV charge points round here and at least two  referred to. Yes the poor buggers would have to park sideways across multiple bays, but do you know what, the electric vehicle community is rather helpful when it comes to such shit, because we are in the state motoring was in back when it started and you had to buy petrol from a chemist.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 16, 2021, 10:09:22 AM

There is no need for very nasty unwarranted insults.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 16, 2021, 05:09:41 AM
There is no way those are cable of charging that bus. (Also there is no way a bus could get near those charging points.)
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 15, 2021, 08:18:56 PM

I have made some checks.

There are free EV chargers WORKING at Tesco superstores in eight supermarkets between Penzance and Bristol

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on June 15, 2021, 01:42:45 PM
This is like a maths problem.
The previous owner did about 400/6 miles say 70 and did around 15 miles per week.
Therefore the owner previous to you owned the Leaf for 5 weeks?
Or you only counted weeks when it was driven, which makes my musings more difficult.

Anyway, the whole situation with the bus highlights that electric vehicles have their uses, as milk floats, but buses? No, not yet. Hilarious.

Love the new young avatar. What a good looking chap you are.  :P

No, I have the telematics plus the service history and MOT figures on the net.

The car was driven between 940 and 1100 miles a year every year since registration at the end of May 2012.

It came to me with less than 10000 miles on the clock with a price tag of five and a half grand. The batteries, if the car is treated right, have done an actual 64 miles on one charge from here...

My commuting requirement is 38 miles doorstop to office car park and return once every two weeks.

Sorry if earlier posts were confusing.

The imagery us courtesy of the android app 'voila'. You should see the wrinkle-free missus !!

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on June 15, 2021, 07:37:14 PM
This does tend to highlight the overall problem more generally.

You do tend to find that most of the eco-warriors in this particular area of expertise, who insist we all will and must go electric by 2030 or something, tend to live in nice houses with drives in leafy suburbia. They have access to charge points in their own homes. But what about the millions who live in flats? High rises? Terraced housing with no drive or garage and very little parking outside? Until every single parking space in the nation has a charge point, and all filling stations have several, with charging being as rapid as filling a tank, then going fully electric is never going to be practicable for the majority of us.

Have just bought a nearly new 2019 plate Vauxhall Corsa. Living as I do in a top floor flat with no charging points anywhere within a mile radius of my home, I stuck with a petrol vehicle. And always will until they come up with electric cars that can run as far on a full charge as my tank of petrol will take me, can be recharged as quickly as my tank can be filled up, and I can be certain to find a charging point anywhere where I might need them. Electric vehicles just are not viable right now. Not sure they ever fully will be.
Now you know how the motorists of old had to fuel their old De Dion-Bouton when they had to call at the chemist for their Gallipoli (predictive spelling which was meant to be gallon) cans of Pratt's Motor Spirit...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on June 15, 2021, 07:37:14 PM

You do tend to find that most of the eco-warriors in this particular area of expertise, who insist we all will and must go electric by 2030 or something, tend to live in nice houses with drives in leafy suburbia. They have access to charge points in their own homes. But what about the millions who live in flats? High rises? Terraced housing with no drive or garage and very little parking outside? Until every single parking space in the nation has a charge point, and all filling stations have several, with charging being as rapid as filling a tank, then going fully electric is never going to be practicable for the majority of us.

Have just bought a nearly new 2019 plate Vauxhall Corsa. Living as I do in a top floor flat with no charging points anywhere within a mile radius of my home, I stuck with a petrol vehicle. And always will until they come up with electric cars that can run as far on a full charge as my tank of petrol will take me, can be recharged as quickly as my tank can be filled up, and I can be certain to find a charging point anywhere where I might need them. Electric vehicles just are not viable right now. Not sure they ever fully will be.

The reality is that "self charging hybrids" - petrol engines driving a generator that charges a small battery that powers the drive train for a max of 30 miles - are probably the most realistic the country can use.

A shame the T**** at number 11 have decided to tax the arse off hybrids ....

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2021, 01:46:13 PM
Just been on the local news, the bus is still stuck at the Eden Project.

I have made some checks.

There are free EV chargers WORKING at Tesco superstores in eight supermarkets between Penzance and Bristol

I can rescue the passengers four at a time free of charge.

It will take about a fortnight to ship 52 ...

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.