5 Years they said.

Started by Nick, June 15, 2021, 03:49:03 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2021, 02:41:38 AM
No. We weren't allowed to sign any deals until Jan 2021. Where the hell you get 5 years from is a mystery, Brexit happened on 31 January 2020, that's 16 months ago.

The problem is Brexit has nowhere near happened. Only a fraction of it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2021, 05:17:49 PMAlso there may be a lot of deals but their value appears to be miniscule in the big scheme of things.

Worth £300 Billion, so no they're not miniscule.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on June 15, 2021, 06:19:22 PM
So if I've got this right, despite all those oven-ready deals in the pipeline, [HIGHLIGHT]five years after Brexit[/HIGHLIGHT], the UK's agreed its first real post Brexit trade deal which it's going to take a further 15 years to fully enact to allow UK producers to get used to incoming Australian goods and produce...

No. We weren't allowed to sign any deals until Jan 2021. Where the hell you get 5 years from is a mystery, Brexit happened on 31 January 2020, that's 16 months ago.

The EU has been negotiating with Australia since 2018, the U.K. had trade deals in place 40 years ago, it's simple,  you take out the old papers and bring them up to date. We don't have 27 players all wanting something different, and when we join the CPTPP it will have a population of nearly 600 million. The EU experiment is on its way out.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 15, 2021, 06:19:22 PM
So if I've got this right, despite all those oven-ready deals in the pipeline, five years after Brexit, the UK's agreed its first real post Brexit trade deal which it's going to take a further 15 years to fully enact to allow UK producers to get used to incoming Australian goods and produce...

That without public access to the deal (yet,) appears to be the case.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2021, 03:49:03 PM
The EU has been in negotiations with Oz for over 3 years, the UK has done one in under a year with the US likely to follow soon.
If this doesn't tell the Remainer's that going it alone wasn't the right thing to do I don't know what will.

As of 1st June

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trade-agreements-with-non-eu-countries.
So if I've got this right, despite all those oven-ready deals in the pipeline, five years after Brexit, the UK's agreed its first real post Brexit trade deal which it's going to take a further 15 years to fully enact to allow UK producers to get used to incoming Australian goods and produce...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on June 15, 2021, 05:49:53 PM
No there ain't. If you have eager buyer/sellers on one side and the same on the other, the only reason for negotiations to take a long time is because you don't have eager buyers/sellers on one or any side.

Yes there is good reason for time to be taken or you get shafted as Britain has and will continue to be.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2021, 04:43:38 PM
There are very good reasons trade deals take and long time.

No there ain't. If you have eager buyer/sellers on one side and the same on the other, the only reason for negotiations to take a long time is because you don't have eager buyers/sellers on one or any side.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2021, 04:59:47 PM
What are these reasons?

The UK will now join the CPTPP, making it bigger than the EU, with the other 70 trade deals we have things have never looked so rosey.

It take years because every paragraph has to be checked.  As yet none of the details of those deals made by Britain thus far  are public domain.  Also there may be a lot of deals but their value appears to be miniscule in the big scheme of things.
I suspect Britain will have shafted as it has been with Brexit.  Bojo-The-Clown signed without reading anything.

(Bear in mind countries are still be shafted by the Treaty of Utrecht, and that was back in 1474.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2021, 04:43:38 PM
[HIGHLIGHT]There are very good reasons trade deals take and long time.[/HIGHLIGHT] Bojo-The-Clown dropped us in the clarts with the "get Brexit done," and this deal will turn out the same way.

What are these reasons?

The UK will now join the CPTPP, making it bigger than the EU, with the other 70 trade deals we have things have never looked so rosey. Countries like the Netherlands are going to look on and question why the UK is finding it so easy to strike trade deals.

Why would you not want Brexit?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2021, 03:49:03 PM
The EU has been in negotiations with Oz for over 3 years, the UK has done one in under a year with the US likely to follow soon.
If this doesn't tell the Remainer's that going it alone wasn't the right thing to do I don't know what will.

There are very good reasons trade deals take and long time. Bojo-The-Clown dropped us in the clarts with the "get Brexit done," and this deal will turn out the same way.

Nick

As of 1st June

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trade-agreements-with-non-eu-countries.