Farewell Windows 10

Started by cromwell, June 18, 2021, 10:10:54 AM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Quote from: Borchester on June 18, 2021, 12:33:42 PM
. . . Of course, that said, other than coming to here and a few other sites and seeing if any of my books have sold on Amazon, I don't use my computer overmuch.
So you're not mining Bitcoin, then?  Dancing
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on June 18, 2021, 12:22:49 PM
Microsoft have led the market for nigh on 25 years in PC software and so many people and organisations are "plugged in" to that with Excel and Word and Power Point being central to presentations and accounting and admin systems.
Unfortunately Windows versions have a chequered history
Alternating good and bad
XP was good
Windows 7 was good
Windows 10 has been good
Other versions, especially Windows Vista and Windows 8 were train crashes that needed fixing.

I worry that in 2025 they will alternate back to another train crash.

As far as I can see, Microsoft has to make a profit and Linux is run by a bunch of nerds. So when there is a bug Gates' Boys say yeah, well, when we have time, while with Linux all of Geeksville falls upon the problem with delight and there aren't many. Of course, that said, other than coming to here and a few other sites and seeing if any of my books have sold on Amazon, I don't use my computer overmuch.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Microsoft have led the market for nigh on 25 years in PC software and so many people and organisations are "plugged in" to that with Excel and Word and Power Point being central to presentations and accounting and admin systems.
Unfortunately Windows versions have a chequered history
Alternating good and bad
XP was good
Windows 7 was good
Windows 10 has been good
Other versions, especially Windows Vista and Windows 8 were train crashes that needed fixing.

I worry that in 2025 they will alternate back to another train crash.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

I only use Windows when I have to (eg, when clients insist on submitting and receiving material PC to PC). Otherwise there are plenty of adaptions allowing me to use Mac in personal and work life.
It's always surprised me how conservative many big organisations are with their IT set ups and operations — probably a hangover from the historical mantra "nobody ever got sacked for specifying IBM"...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on June 18, 2021, 10:10:54 AM
You know the last one never to be replaced will stop being supported in 2025
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57443598

I am pig ignorant on anything other than pressing the on button and wondering how that little chap manages to get into the box. I use Linux because my boy installed it and because it is effectively virus free and free. The trouble is that it does not support as much stuff as Windows, which was something that came home to me when talking to various one eyed, tin legged friends.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

You know the last one never to be replaced will stop being supported in 2025
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57443598
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?