From September can your car use E10 petrol?

Started by Barry, June 22, 2021, 10:08:11 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 23, 2021, 02:17:11 PM
Let's hope it's no more a threat than the millennium bug — after all, there have been high alcohol fuels before.   
Wiki says: "In 1971, the Nebraska Agricultural Products Industrial Utilization Committee (or "Gasohol" Committee) is formed to find new uses for surplus grain. The commission tests ethanol-gasoline blends in thousands of cars over millions of miles, proving that ethanol can be used as an octane-boosting additive to replace leaded gasoline." 
And: "Between 1997 and 2002, three million U.S. cars and light trucks are produced which could run on E85, a blend of 85% ethanol with 15% gasoline". 
Seems strange that if so many vehicles could run on such a low petroleum spirit content, the alterations shouldn't have been incorporated into many more vehicles...

That is America not Britain. There are known problems with E10 on older cars/motorcycles not made in America.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Let's hope it's no more a threat than the millennium bug — after all, there have been high alcohol fuels before.   
Wiki says: "In 1971, the Nebraska Agricultural Products Industrial Utilization Committee (or "Gasohol" Committee) is formed to find new uses for surplus grain. The commission tests ethanol-gasoline blends in thousands of cars over millions of miles, proving that ethanol can be used as an octane-boosting additive to replace leaded gasoline." 
And: "Between 1997 and 2002, three million U.S. cars and light trucks are produced which could run on E85, a blend of 85% ethanol with 15% gasoline". 
Seems strange that if so many vehicles could run on such a low petroleum spirit content, the alterations shouldn't have been incorporated into many more vehicles...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 23, 2021, 01:04:26 PM
It is because there is no lead in petrol that lead replacement additives are sold to users of vehicles requiring leaded petrol. As you appear not to be aware of that, I guess my asking if you knew if such additives would help when E10 becomes the only available petrol was pointless.
If anyone is interested I'll ask my Dad, who is the proud owner of a 1962 Mark II Jag. He's been involved with cars for ever. I'm sure he'll have a solution...

I am more than aware of it, but its has eff all to do with E5 and E10, neither of which require valve seat replacement.
Another forum I use has done the subject to death, both E5 and E10 rot fibreglass petrol tanks.
both E5 and E10 attract water and also degrade over time.
There are other problems with E10 like degrading O-rings and oil seals and fuel lines on older vehicles.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 23, 2021, 12:34:02 PM
There has been no lead in petrol for a very long time, it is an irrelevance to the the introduction of E10.
It is because there is no lead in petrol that lead replacement additives are sold to users of vehicles requiring leaded petrol. As you appear not to be aware of that, I guess my asking if you knew if such additives would help when E10 becomes the only available petrol was pointless.
If anyone is interested I'll ask my Dad, who is the proud owner of a 1962 Mark II Jag. He's been involved with cars for ever. I'm sure he'll have a solution...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 23, 2021, 12:30:36 PM
Availability of E5 is only guaranteed for a few years.   

Do you know if there are any additives that could help? The ratio of lead replacement additives is approx 100ml per 10 to 12 litres, at about £5-£6 per 250ml, that's not so expensive...

There has been no lead in petrol for a very long time, it is an irrelevance to the the introduction of E10.

patman post

Availability of E5 is only guaranteed for a few years.   

Do you know if there are any additives that could help? The ratio of lead replacement additives is approx 100ml per 10 to 12 litres, at about £5-£6 per 250ml, that's not so expensive...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 23, 2021, 11:36:40 AM
An occasional tank full probably won't hurt. And there's bound to be some additives that could help (would the lead replacement one help?). Otherwise you'll have to line the fuel tank, replace the fuel lines and replace the valve seats. Another problem could E10's effect on carb bodies and components...

E5 will still be available. Most of the other measures you mention are prohibitively expensive. (I might as well scrap one of my motorcycles instead of converting it to E10.)

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 23, 2021, 07:19:26 AM
The hell with running cars on it

Can you drink it yet ?
I remember Brazil 20 years ago — the whole place smelled of sugar cane alcohol because to eke out oil, vehicle fuel was laced with alcohol. Don't know the percentage, but the aroma would suggest more than 10%...

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 23, 2021, 07:43:48 AM
A lot of cars/motorcycles not on the list, two of our motorcycles effected.
An occasional tank full probably won't hurt. And there's bound to be some additives that could help (would the lead replacement one help?). Otherwise you'll have to line the fuel tank, replace the fuel lines and replace the valve seats. Another problem could E10's effect on carb bodies and components...

papasmurf

A lot of cars/motorcycles not on the list, two of our motorcycles effected.

johnofgwent

The hell with running cars on it

Can you drink it yet ?
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

† The end is nigh †