One Britain One Nation

Started by papasmurf, June 23, 2021, 10:17:05 AM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

One Britain, One Nation is something I've always advocated. The idea of singing patriotic songs in schools occasionally isn't that bad an idea as long as the songs are right. We need new songs about the people and the land. It's time we stopped singing about ordering an imaginary omnipotent being to save a hereditary monarch. Rule Britannia is clearly laughable in this day and age and Land of Hope and Glory - well there's always hope but little prospect of glory.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on June 23, 2021, 05:54:58 PM
Brexit has done that. I suggest you own that one but you won't. It will all always be someone else's fault.
I suggest you will be the one blaming everything on brexit if anything goes awry.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on June 23, 2021, 02:31:20 PM
No the eu have increased the divisions between NI and the rest of the UK.
Brexit has done that. I suggest you own that one but you won't. It will all always be someone else's fault.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on June 23, 2021, 02:31:20 PM
No the eu have increased the divisions between NI and the rest of the UK Scots indy predates Brexit and you know that.

Brexit has made matters far worse.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on June 23, 2021, 02:28:01 PM
That is off on a tangent and you know it. Brexit has increased the divisions between England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
No the eu have increased the divisions between NI and the rest of the UK Scots indy predates Brexit and you know that.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on June 23, 2021, 02:23:45 PM
Oh so you think no Black people,asians or minorities voted brext,well think again I know different.

That is off on a tangent and you know it. Brexit has increased the divisions between England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on June 23, 2021, 01:49:14 PM
It can't be made so under any Tory government and Brexit has made the divides wider.
Oh so you think no Black people,asians or minorities voted brext,well think again I know different.

Nalaar

Quote from: patman post on June 23, 2021, 01:58:08 PM
Not really into Yoda, so not sure I follow.

If I can express it well enough I'll make a topic specially on pride, but in short I'd say it's a huge trapdoor, well disguised.

QuoteBut jaundiced though I maybe about such organisations, I hope OBON and Kash Singh don't turn out bad...

Same, it's unlikely that this is some sort of wicked organisation putting on a sham front of pleasantry. However, I think their core principles are contradictory in nature, and whether or not they can address that with dignity and grace is to be seen.
Don't believe everything you think.

patman post

Quote from: Nalaar on June 23, 2021, 01:38:51 PMWhile it's a slightly more abstruse line of thought, I would argue that an Ego derived sense of pride in something is not the positive outcome it may otherwise appear to be.
Not really into Yoda, so not sure I follow.   
But jaundiced though I maybe about such organisations, I hope OBON and Kash Singh don't turn out bad...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on June 23, 2021, 01:43:06 PM
Oh so you think any attempt to make it less so is bull****?
Shakes head.

It can't be made so under any Tory government and Brexit has made the divides wider.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on June 23, 2021, 01:36:06 PM
Britain is a VERY divided nation and no amount of bullshine propaganda is going to change that.
Oh so you think any attempt to make it less so is bull****?
Shakes head.

Nalaar

Quote from: patman post on June 23, 2021, 01:32:14 PMI caught an interview with Kash Singh, Chief Executive and Founder of One Britain One Nation (OBON), this morning. He sounded like a guy whose genuinely proud to be British..

While it's a slightly more abstruse line of thought, I would argue that an Ego derived sense of pride in something is not the positive outcome it may otherwise appear to be.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 23, 2021, 01:32:14 PM
It's the diversity and bedfellows bit that upsets some —

Britain is a VERY divided nation and no amount of bullshine propaganda is going to change that.

patman post

Quote from: Nalaar on June 23, 2021, 11:21:01 AM
Leaving the cringe factor aside, it is easy (and preferable) to assume that the people involved in this project are doing so for the right reasons. That said I think they are striding head first into a familiar paradox - They want to promote Nationalism, Civil Pride, and Patriotism, while also promoting diversity, inclusivity, and personal freedom.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say they are totally incompatible, they are definitely not easy bedfellows.
It's the diversity and bedfellows bit that upsets some — including Police when we were stopped once in the car. Unlike others I know, I  don't carry a recorder for such incidents, so that was just another one for the pot.
I caught an interview with Kash Singh, Chief Executive and Founder of One Britain One Nation (OBON), this morning. He sounded like a guy whose genuinely proud to be British...
https://www.onebritainonenation.com/ceo-founder
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nalaar

Leaving the cringe factor aside, it is easy (and preferable) to assume that the people involved in this project are doing so for the right reasons. That said I think they are striding head first into a familiar paradox - They want to promote Nationalism, Civil Pride, and Patriotism, while also promoting diversity, inclusivity, and personal freedom.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say they are totally incompatible, they are definitely not easy bedfellows.