Streetwalker needs a lesson in building

Started by Sheepy, June 23, 2021, 12:47:19 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 24, 2021, 06:52:00 PM
I know, it killed my father in law.

Killed several shipyard workers where I live. (Those are just the one's I know about.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 24, 2021, 06:12:20 PM
To be fair asbestos in the building trade was the cement board type stuff that at the time was a brilliant product . It is only during demolition (the dust ) that it poses a problem .
I know, it killed my father in law.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 24, 2021, 06:12:20 PM
To be fair asbestos in the building trade was the cement board type stuff that at the time was a brilliant product . It is only during demolition (the dust ) that it poses a problem .

Quite.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on June 24, 2021, 04:27:22 PM
They were awful, and those in my home town have now been demolished along with the serious threat from the asbestos content.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 24, 2021, 11:05:31 AM
Historically it was, pre fabricated housing after the 2nd World War. They were supposed to only last a short time, but some of them still exist.
They were awful, and those in my home town have now been demolished along with the serious threat from the asbestos content.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 24, 2021, 10:49:59 AM

Couldn't more of this type of house construction be devised in the UK...?

Historically it was, pre fabricated housing after the 2nd World War. They were supposed to only last a short time, but some of them still exist.

patman post

Saw a TV programme where a retired couple got a factory-built house from Germany. The foundations were put in and the components and crew arrived at the allotted time from the factory, but had to wait for a locally-provided crane. The build started a day late but still finished on time — less than a week if I remember correctly.   
Couldn't more of this type of house construction be devised in the UK...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Over the years its been pretty obvious that building skills are been replaced with factory made components . Notably in my own trade has been pre made Chimney stacks (Most new builds now have plastic stacks that just sit on the roof . There are no internal fireplaces  ???) and pre made arches that are just lifted into place

This is just an extension of that I suppose , reducing labour costs is the name of the game .   

Barry

If it's made out of pre-built Lego blocks it is not so hard. They forgot to count the time building all those.

They recently put some new wards and offices up at Dudley Hospital using a similar system. They didn't rush it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9LxGbFZcjU
† The end is nigh †