HMS Defender

Started by cromwell, June 23, 2021, 07:20:20 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on June 24, 2021, 10:12:29 PM
For once, I agree.
Why do we need to be in the Black Sea? Bulgaria and Romania are EU members on the Black Sea, maybe they are not so bothered.
An excerpt from Chamberlain 1938

Quotea quarrel in a far-away country between people of whom we know nothing.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: HDQQ on June 24, 2021, 04:04:40 PMWhatever the rights and wrongs on this, surely the best thing for the UK to do in this situation is to not provoke Russia any more.
For once, I agree.
Why do we need to be in the Black Sea? Bulgaria and Romania are EU members on the Black Sea, maybe they are not so bothered.
† The end is nigh †

HDQQ

Quote from: cromwell on June 24, 2021, 07:02:00 PM
Well what a good idea quackers appeasement always the way,just like Chamberlain.
Not really. It's not as though the UK getting into a serious maritime incident with the Russians on their doorstep is going to make much difference to them, is it?
Maybe if the US Navy did so or even the Chinese Navy did so, it might make a difference - but not the British Navy! On the news this morning it was suggested that a navy captain would never do something like this intentionally, off his own bat, and so there must have been instructions from above - i.e. our government.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Quote from: HDQQ on June 24, 2021, 04:04:40 PM
Not surprisingly, the Russians have now warned that they will bomb the next British warship to enter the disputed waters.
https://www.reuters.com/?edition-redirect=uk
Whatever the rights and wrongs on this, surely the best thing for the UK to do in this situation is to not provoke Russia any more.
It's a bad idea to deliberately step onto a zebra crossing in front of a car approaching at 60mph, even though you have legal right-of-way and the car is travelling at twice the speed limit.
Well what a good idea quackers appeasement always the way,just like Chamberlain.

HDQQ

Not surprisingly, the Russians have now warned that they will bomb the next British warship to enter the disputed waters.
https://www.reuters.com/?edition-redirect=uk
Whatever the rights and wrongs on this, surely the best thing for the UK to do in this situation is to not provoke Russia any more.
It's a bad idea to deliberately step onto a zebra crossing in front of a car approaching at 60mph, even though you have legal right-of-way and the car is travelling at twice the speed limit.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Quote from: Sampanviking on June 24, 2021, 12:01:28 PM
Quite a claim! so which part is false?
OK Sampanski we have our differences,you post about history I reply and you complain about bringing up the past Rant we ain't going to agree so I'm leaving it there OK? :P

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 24, 2021, 01:08:25 PM

And anyone whose ever been on a military vessel knows how far that is from "kill them, kill them all"..... I'm not sure I can tell you though .... Been a while ...

Personally sailors and guns don't mix well, that is why there are Navy Officers.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Sampanviking on June 24, 2021, 11:04:10 AM
Smurfy, you can hear "Action Stations" clearly in the BBC Video. There was no attempt to cruise in accordance with the terms of Innocent Passage and you know it.

And anyone whose ever been on a military vessel knows how far that is from "kill them, kill them all"..... I'm not sure I can tell you though .... Been a while ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sampanviking

Quote from: cromwell on June 24, 2021, 11:20:36 AM
Yeah I hear the whine of false history,yeah move it on :P

Quite a claim! so which part is false?

papasmurf

Recent transit of the English Channel by Russian Navy ships:-

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/royal-navy-tracks-seven-russian-warships-through-english-channel

PUBLISHED APR 20, 2021 10:01 PM BY THE MARITIME EXECUTIVE

The British patrol ships HMS Tyne and Mersey have recently been called upon to monitor the presence of seven Russian Federation Navy vessels as they sailed through the Channel.

HMS Mersey met up with the Russian frigate Admiral Kasatonov, the support tug Nikolay Chiker and the tanker Vyazma off Ushant, France and stayed with them through the Channel and into the North Sea. Her monitoring mission was made more challenging by rough weather conditions, which meant the Russian ships took longer than usual to pass through as they took shelter before resuming their journey.

cromwell

Quote from: Sampanviking on June 24, 2021, 11:10:35 AM
Yeah does it have to get silly? Really? Its been Russian territory for three hundred years. What is there not to accept.
Yes NATO would love to get the Russian Navy out of the Black Sea by depriving them of Sevastapol. They tried it in 2014 and it failed.
Nice try, shame it didn't work, time to stop whining and just move on.

Yeah I hear the whine of false history,yeah move it on :P

Sampanviking

Quote from: cromwell on June 24, 2021, 11:01:51 AM
Really? post #5

Yeah does it have to get silly? Really? Its been Russian territory for three hundred years. What is there not to accept.
Yes NATO would love to get the Russian Navy out of the Black Sea by depriving them of Sevastapol. They tried it in 2014 and it failed.
Nice try, shame it didn't work, time to stop whining and just move on.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sampanviking on June 24, 2021, 11:04:10 AM
Smurfy, you can hear "Action Stations" clearly in the BBC Video. There was no attempt to cruise in accordance with the terms of Innocent Passage and you know it.

Sorry mate but you are making a mountain out of a mole hill, the ship was hailed and threatened, going to action stations is standard procedure, but the manually fired guns on the deck were not crewed.
Every time Russian Navy ships transit the English Channel they are shadowed and over flown. (That happens frequently .) This is a non story.

patman post

Was it any more than a contrived operation to draw Russia into showing off its outdated coastguard vessels and missileless plane? 
It's understandable that Putin is miffed that so many of Russia's previous conquests have shown their independence by allying themselves with other organisations, but what can he really do other than attempt the occasional bit of mischief...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sampanviking

Quote from: papasmurf on June 24, 2021, 10:59:54 AM
What is your source for that please? (There was no sign at all of that from the reporting on board ship. If at action stations the guns would have been crewed, they weren't.)