UK-Australia trade deal: What are the arguments for and against?

Started by GBNews, June 27, 2021, 07:02:03 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 29, 2021, 09:53:38 AM
And just on cue, the EU have relaxed their own rules on animal feed which were designed to prevent BSE/CJD.
The UK will not be following suit as we know about the importance of food safety.

That article is short on detail, the legal minimum rendering temperature and time being a major omission.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

And just on cue, the EU have relaxed their own rules on animal feed which were designed to prevent BSE/CJD.
The UK will not be following suit as we know about the importance of food safety.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/22/eu-to-lift-its-ban-on-feeding-animal-remains-to-domestic-livestock
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 29, 2021, 05:57:41 AM
That would be the hormone that increases milk yield in dairy cows . Its also banned in Australia and frankly am shocked (Im not really) that someone who has been studying the subject  ''for decades'' would not know that .

It isn't banned in beef cattle.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 28, 2021, 08:19:42 PM
In the companies that produce it, and the 30 banned chemicals.
Growth Hormone "bovine somatotropin,) is banned in Canada, It was also produced by Monsanto who sold it off, so they must have been worried about something.
Some of the banned chemicals are endocrine disruptors which are very persistent in the environment.

That would be the hormone that increases milk yield in dairy cows . Its also banned in Australia and frankly am shocked (Im not really) that someone who has been studying the subject  ''for decades'' would not know that .

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 28, 2021, 08:00:54 PMÉlise Lucet have exposed the politicians taking the bribes

Quote from: papasmurf on June 28, 2021, 08:00:54 PMthere is as yet no evidence of them taking "bungs."

So Élise Lucet hasn't exposed anything then, that's what no evidence means.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 28, 2021, 12:50:53 PM
Quite, and the start of that problem was the lowering of the rendering temperature of used for processing abattoir "waste," product used for animal feed. (Guess what government authorised that.)
Feeding herbivores animal products always seemed wrong to me even if the mush is cooked at 150 deg C.   
Problem is that consumers want beef, chicken, lamb, etc, and the only ways to meet demand is to import, and rear intensively in the UK.   
Pig and poultry factories seem to have the public's blessing. But intensive beef factories are still not widely established in UK, though where they are, and when they are, there's ample opportunity for feed suppliers and farms to cut corners and save money...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on June 28, 2021, 08:10:53 PM
Shares in a brewery,pub,golf club and Palace are all plausible.......but growth hormone? I think not. :P

In the companies that produce it, and the 30 banned chemicals.
Growth Hormone "bovine somatotropin,) is banned in Canada, It was also produced by Monsanto who sold it off, so they must have been worried about something.
Some of the banned chemicals are endocrine disruptors which are very persistent in the environment.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on June 28, 2021, 08:00:54 PM
Streetwalker there a mass of evidence for the 30 banned chemicals and the problems with growth hormone.
The producers of all of then have spent £millions in back handers, bribery and some VERY dirty tricks trying getting the harm hidden by paying for research that states they are harmless.
Your comments frankly make me believe you have shares in them.
It is a subject I have been studying for decades and investigative journalists like the formidable Élise Lucet have exposed the politicians taking the bribes and the "scientists," getting paid by the companies to come up with "favourable," research.
Despite the reputation of British politicians being corrupt, there is as yet no evidence of them taking "bungs."
Shares in a brewery,pub,golf club and Palace are all plausible.......but growth hormone? I think not. :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 28, 2021, 07:27:34 PM
You keep banging on about EU protectionist banned chemicals without actually giving any evidence from the scientific studies that said (mostly natural ) chemicals are harmful . Hormone treatment is only banned in the UK through our association with the EU

The UK agreed to continue the ban through the (crock of shite)  withdrawal agreement .   Tearing it up after no final trade deal is agreed will see hormone  implanted beef  rightly welcomed into the UK along with non hormone meat . Its your choice

Streetwalker there a mass of evidence for the 30 banned chemicals and the problems with growth hormone.
The producers of all of then have spent £millions in back handers, bribery and some VERY dirty tricks trying getting the harm hidden by paying for research that states they are harmless.
Your comments frankly make me believe you have shares in them.
It is a subject I have been studying for decades and investigative journalists like the formidable Élise Lucet have exposed the politicians taking the bribes and the "scientists," getting paid by the companies to come up with "favourable," research.
Despite the reputation of British politicians being corrupt, there is as yet no evidence of them taking "bungs."

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 28, 2021, 03:09:22 PM
If you knew about the low welfare standards and use of chemicals used that are banned in Britain, you would not be so abusive.

You keep banging on about EU protectionist banned chemicals without actually giving any evidence from the scientific studies that said (mostly natural ) chemicals are harmful . Hormone treatment is only banned in the UK through our association with the EU

The UK agreed to continue the ban through the (crock of shite)  withdrawal agreement .   Tearing it up after no final trade deal is agreed will see hormone  implanted beef  rightly welcomed into the UK along with non hormone meat . Its your choice

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 28, 2021, 02:36:53 PM
You have no idea what I do or don't know, perhaps I don't care about the things you worry about.

You just keep pulling the abuse card out though.

If you knew about the low welfare standards and use of chemicals used that are banned in Britain, you would not be so abusive.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 28, 2021, 07:43:13 AMyou know zero about the furore surrounding the import of meat from Australia, the heated debate in parliament and the refusal t

You have no idea what I do or don't know, perhaps I don't care about the things you worry about.

You just keep pulling the abuse card out though.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 28, 2021, 11:40:28 AM
Well, let's be honest, we managed to produce a real public health crisis with BSE/CJD only 30 years ago.
We are not immune to producing meat which should not be eaten.
177 died in the UK.

Quite, and the start of that problem was the lowering of the rendering temperature of used for processing abattoir "waste," product used for animal feed. (Guess what government authorised that.)

Barry

Well, let's be honest, we managed to produce a real public health crisis with BSE/CJD only 30 years ago.
We are not immune to producing meat which should not be eaten.
177 died in the UK.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on June 28, 2021, 10:35:45 AM

You can't just restart it all overnight,if we want farms productive again it will take time and investment in real farmers not landowners.

True, however allowing the import of cheap below UK standard food is putting a very big spanner in the works.