UK-Australia trade deal: What are the arguments for and against?

Started by GBNews, June 27, 2021, 07:02:03 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 30, 2021, 11:02:36 AM

And bringing back to mind the horsemeat scandal ... In tend to agree. Funny thing about that was nobody raised the obvious point. While in France I tucked into a horse flesh steak and very nice it was on each occasion. But it was quite a bit more than a beef sirloin ....

That was when I smelled a rat, Chevaline, (horsemeat,) is VERY expensive, far too expensive to end up in mass produced cheap ready meals.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on June 30, 2021, 10:07:35 AM
In reality when the meat is processed no-one will know the origin of it.

And bringing back to mind the horsemeat scandal ... In tend to agree. Funny thing about that was nobody raised the obvious point. While in France I tucked into a horse flesh steak and very nice it was on each occasion. But it was quite a bit more than a beef sirloin ....

Which begs the question what scabrous nag destined for the glue factory did they mince up ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 30, 2021, 09:34:05 AM

In reality the live animal export business had for some time benefitted hugely from the lax requirements in the EU and the UK for an animal to be kept on local soil in order for its meat to be described as local when the animal is killed at the abbatoir.

I tried for years to get this made clearer after finding "scotch beef" could in all legality be hardly anything of the sort. The industry found it harder with "Welsh black" cattle, a hardy breed designed for the Welsh hills but that's because the premium comes from the breed not the location...

In reality when the meat is processed no-one will know the origin of it.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on June 27, 2021, 09:27:00 PM
The thing is, whatever is imported will be marked with the country of origin. If anyone doesn't want to eat beef from Australia, fine, I would eat it but there is plenty of Kent grown beef to put on the table at the moment.
You have a choice.

One might hope that were the case

In reality the live animal export business had for some time benefitted hugely from the lax requirements in the EU and the UK for an animal to be kept on local soil in order for its meat to be described as local when the animal is killed at the abbatoir.

I tried for years to get this made clearer after finding "scotch beef" could in all legality be hardly anything of the sort. The industry found it harder with "Welsh black" cattle, a hardy breed designed for the Welsh hills but that's because the premium comes from the breed not the location...

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on June 30, 2021, 08:17:08 AM
Yes that's right don't admit you got it wrong,swerve and swerve again. Butt Kick

No swerve involved. The dangers are well known which is why they are banned in Britain and other countries.

If you want to eat imported crap feel free, it won't be obvious when it end up in British school children's dinners or processed into products containing it.
It should never be let into Britain, I find your defence of it perverse to be honest.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on June 30, 2021, 08:05:58 AM
Endocrine disruptors are a problem for food production in general. Which is why they are banned in Britain.
Yes that's right don't admit you got it wrong,swerve and swerve again. Butt Kick
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 29, 2021, 09:12:53 PM
Thats because its not a problem in beef cattle which is what we are looking to import .  You mentioned endocrine disruptors in the environment which have no connection to meat   but with dairy .  Your dot to dot puzzle needs a re boot .

Endocrine disruptors are a problem for food production in general. Which is why they are banned in Britain.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 29, 2021, 07:46:56 AM
It isn't banned in beef cattle.

Thats because its not a problem in beef cattle which is what we are looking to import .  You mentioned endocrine disruptors in the environment which have no connection to meat   but with dairy .  Your dot to dot puzzle needs a re boot .

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 29, 2021, 02:42:52 PM
Well that was a wasted decade I have to say 😂.

All because the rendering temperature and rendering time was cut.

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

When alarm over British Mad Cow disease was at its peak, to identify locally produced beef in French supermarkets it supposedly carried the VF mark — but it wasn't clear if this meant Viande Français or Vache Folle...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 29, 2021, 11:51:11 AM
Don't think that's totally correct. As I understand it feeding animal by-products to the same animals (cattle to cattle, chicken to chicken, etc) is prohibited, but feeding animal by-products to animals is allowed — and it been that way, with certain restrictions for years...

If France for area approval products such feed is banned, so they would be no problem with imports of those  into Britain

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 29, 2021, 11:13:33 AM
As yet we are not aware that they don't comply. Any French meat product that is has regional compliance certification is compliant with UK regulations anyway as animal products as feed is banned from those.
Don't think that's totally correct. As I understand it feeding animal by-products to the same animals (cattle to cattle, chicken to chicken, etc) is prohibited, but feeding animal by-products to animals is allowed — and it been that way, with certain restrictions for years...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/supplying-and-using-animal-by-products-as-farm-animal-feed
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 29, 2021, 10:43:03 AM
I expect the UK will ban imports of meat from EU countries (from August 1st) because of their failure to meet our high food safety standards.

As yet we are not aware that they don't comply. Any French meat product that is has regional compliance certification is compliant with UK regulations anyway as animal products as feed is banned from those.

Barry

I expect the UK will ban imports of meat from EU countries (from August 1st) because of their failure to meet our high food safety standards.
† The end is nigh †