Fear Not.

Started by Nick, July 01, 2021, 02:06:49 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 07:53:20 AM
My home is NOT a holiday let or a second home. Also a 2 bedroom bungalow is of no use to a local young couple at all
Also back in 1984 when I moved here there was not the mass exodus of white flighters and plague avoiders from upcountry to here. Nor was there the vast mass numbers of tourists well beyond what can be handled by the local area.

Why is a 2 bed bungalow of no use to a local young couple

Seeing as that is exactly the type of property my parents moved into and remained in until the third child came along ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 07, 2021, 08:18:31 AM

You are part of the problem you shout about.

Bollocks, the problems did not start until a few years ago. Where I live back in 1984 there were no second homes or holiday lets, that situation was maintained until around five years ago.
(I also moved here in 1984 because of a combination of personal problems caused by Margaret Thatcher and I was also advised to move for health reasons by my then GP.)
Also the numbers of tourists did not get more than could be handled until three years ago.
I am not part of or a cause of the current problems.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 07:53:20 AM
My home is NOT a holiday let or a second home. Also a 2 bedroom bungalow is of no use to a local young couple at all
Also back in 1984 when I moved here there was not the mass exodus of white flighters and plague avoiders from upcountry to here. Nor was there the vast mass numbers of tourists well beyond what can be handled by the local area.
And there you go posting in CAPITALS does not validate your argument,I did not say yours is a holiday let or second home.....your diversions about a plague is nonsense.

People like you were holidaying in Cornwall and it is recorded from the seventies onward the older ones often like you liked what they saw moved there and contributed to the rise in property prices near the sea depriving young locals of a chance to buy.

You are part of the problem you shout about.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 07, 2021, 07:40:43 AM
And as pointed out you still sidestep the fact you went to Cornwall liked what you saw and bought a house therefore depriving a local of that property and contributed to the problem you shout about and increase in property prices.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 07:13:31 AM
Actually when I used to visit Cornwall in the 1960's/1970s I stayed in B&Bs or latterly a fisherman's home, he had 12 children of a wide age range and there was always a spare bunk for free. (I had done him and his family a social favour and that was my thank you.) I never stayed in a holiday let nor would I on principle.
The only way to sort the current drastic home shortage to the point of making people homeless in Cornwall is legislation and council house building.
And as pointed out you still sidestep the fact you went to Cornwall liked what you saw and bought a house therefore depriving a local of that property and contributed to the problem you shout about and increase in property prices.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 07, 2021, 03:59:35 AM
People buy holiday homes same as people only rent holiday homes short term. Also, AirBnB tend to be rented by the home owner and in a lot of cases in their home so how the above affects long term renting I don't know.

I notice how you sidestepped the comment about you once being a tourist and moving to Cornwall.

Actually when I used to visit Cornwall in the 1960's/1970s I stayed in B&Bs or latterly a fisherman's home, he had 12 children of a wide age range and there was always a spare bunk for free. (I had done him and his family a social favour and that was my thank you.) I never stayed in a holiday let nor would I on principle.
The only way to sort the current drastic home shortage to the point of making people homeless in Cornwall is legislation and council house building.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 06, 2021, 04:16:40 PM
Simple enough, because of holiday lets, holiday homes, the rise of air BandB, there are currently only 69 long term rental properties left in Cornwall.
That means, low paid seasonal staff for the tourist and hospitality industries have nowhere to live. (Hence staff shortages.)
Added to that the EU workers who went back to the EU during the pandemic and after Brexit cannot get back into Britain. (Thanks to the Angel of Death, (Priti Patel.) That is leading to worker shortages from Truck Drivers, crop pickers, care workers and other businesses.

It is also leading to this:-

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwalls-main-hospital-says-housing-5610717

Cornwall's main hospital says housing crisis is impacting recruitment
Royal Cornwall Hospital staff are finding it ever more difficult to find places to live

Basically there is now a crisis, with bugger all being done about it.

People buy holiday homes same as people only rent holiday homes short term. Also, AirBnB tend to be rented by the home owner and in a lot of cases in their home so how the above affects long term renting I don't know.

I notice how you sidestepped the comment about you once being a tourist and moving to Cornwall.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 06, 2021, 06:57:45 PM
Rightmove is the cobblers, which you fell for hook line and sinker:-

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-10000-airbnbs-only-69-5486028
11:34, 3 JUN 2021
Cornwall has 10,000 Airbnbs but only 69 homes available to rent
The fear is that landlords are cashing in by kicking out tenants in favour of holidaymakers

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2021-04-25/close-to-tears-letting-agent-turns-away-locals-for-second-time-buyers-in-cornwall
Sunday 25 April 2021,
'Close to tears' – letting agent turns away locals for second-time buyers in Cornwall
A letting agent feels stuck in a "heartbreaking" situation as she has had to turn away upset locals from properties in Cornwall.

Deborah Plowright, a lettings agent at CAM Residential Lettings in Hayle, has had to deny desperate buyers from homes because of the rise in people looking for second homes in the Duchy.

She has said it is too easy for people to buy a second home and too difficult for those wanting to get on the property ladder and sympathises with locals.

Edited to add:-

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/reality-behind-cornwalls-covid-housing-5344332

Reality behind Cornwall's Covid housing crisis
While home owners are cashing in on the increased property prices in Cornwall, some are being left behind

06:00, 28 APR 2021

One of the knock-on effects of the last year is the creation of the "coronavirus housing boom" in Cornwall, where demand for housing in Cornwall has gone through the roof.

Changes to stamp duty and other incentives put in place by the Government to stimulate the housing market post lockdown has seen property owners seeking to capitalise on the increased prices caused by the demand, from individuals seeking a new environment both locally and from other parts of Britain, in addition to people having to move for their own circumstances.

I know that, because I've been in that position twice over the last year. I previously wrote about how the coronavirus housing boom in Cornwall left me in a position where I was facing homelessness,

OK so Rightmove and estate agents in cornwall are trying  to sell imaginary properties because they are all part of a tory plot.

In other news the smurfy ministry of truth reveals the dastardly invention of fictional properties,you are right though there is a plot.......and you've lost it.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 06, 2021, 05:05:47 PM
Cobblers....

Rightmove is the cobblers, which you fell for hook line and sinker:-

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-10000-airbnbs-only-69-5486028
11:34, 3 JUN 2021
Cornwall has 10,000 Airbnbs but only 69 homes available to rent
The fear is that landlords are cashing in by kicking out tenants in favour of holidaymakers

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2021-04-25/close-to-tears-letting-agent-turns-away-locals-for-second-time-buyers-in-cornwall
Sunday 25 April 2021,
'Close to tears' – letting agent turns away locals for second-time buyers in Cornwall
A letting agent feels stuck in a "heartbreaking" situation as she has had to turn away upset locals from properties in Cornwall.

Deborah Plowright, a lettings agent at CAM Residential Lettings in Hayle, has had to deny desperate buyers from homes because of the rise in people looking for second homes in the Duchy.

She has said it is too easy for people to buy a second home and too difficult for those wanting to get on the property ladder and sympathises with locals.

Edited to add:-

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/reality-behind-cornwalls-covid-housing-5344332

Reality behind Cornwall's Covid housing crisis
While home owners are cashing in on the increased property prices in Cornwall, some are being left behind

06:00, 28 APR 2021

One of the knock-on effects of the last year is the creation of the "coronavirus housing boom" in Cornwall, where demand for housing in Cornwall has gone through the roof.

Changes to stamp duty and other incentives put in place by the Government to stimulate the housing market post lockdown has seen property owners seeking to capitalise on the increased prices caused by the demand, from individuals seeking a new environment both locally and from other parts of Britain, in addition to people having to move for their own circumstances.

I know that, because I've been in that position twice over the last year. I previously wrote about how the coronavirus housing boom in Cornwall left me in a position where I was facing homelessness,

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 06, 2021, 04:16:40 PM
Simple enough, because of holiday lets, holiday homes, the rise of air BandB, there are currently only 69 long term rental properties left in Cornwall.
That means, low paid seasonal staff for the tourist and hospitality industries have nowhere to live. (Hence staff shortages.)
Added to that the EU workers who went back to the EU during the pandemic and after Brexit cannot get back into Britain. (Thanks to the Angel of Death, (Priti Patel.) That is leading to worker shortages from Truck Drivers, crop pickers, care workers and other businesses.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwalls-main-hospital-says-housing-5610717

Royal Cornwall Hospital staff are finding it ever more difficult to find places to live

Cobblers.....a quick look on rightmove shows flats well under £100000 terraced starting at under 120k bungalows that need updating at 140k https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/106164065#/media?id=media1&ref=photoCollage
However you rail against the caravans and motorhomes that bring in money to the local economy,don't deprive anyone local of a home.....presumably you once went there on holiday liked what you saw and bought a property thereby depriving a local of a home....shame on you for castigating others for what you've done.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 06, 2021, 03:19:46 PM
Clearly it is supposed to be yours, as it now shows.
So explain your three different versions.

Nick

Quote from: Nick on July 06, 2021, 11:30:08 AMAnd all three of yours are conflicting.

Clearly it is supposed to be yours, as it now shows.
So explain your three different versions.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 06, 2021, 01:44:34 PM
There is one going in Higher Carnkie. Two bedrooms, detached, going for £235,000.

Needs a bit of work but that is half the fun.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/77344434#/

That link does not work. It is probably cheap because it is built on top of a mineshaft.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 06, 2021, 01:33:13 PMHigher Carnkie

There is one going in Higher Carnkie. Two bedrooms, detached, going for £235,000.

Needs a bit of work but that is half the fun.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/77344434#/

Mod edit - (Fixed link)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 06, 2021, 01:17:03 PM
Not if you look around.

I have looked around, since the detached bungalow for £200000 comment. There are no detached bungalows near me for sale at any price. (Nearest one I can find is 25 miles away and £1.5 million.