Is the rise of woke driving home schooling?

Started by T00ts, July 03, 2021, 01:18:12 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

My recollection is that we were taught about Darwin's and ???s' theories, and also about evolution with all the latest findings that supported and furthered many of the Darwinist theories. Creationism appeared to my, then juvenile, mind as exciting but obviously impossible — eg, there's no relics that show ancient Egyptian children frolicking with dinosaurs...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 15, 2021, 08:55:22 AM

But from 1969 to 1974 my compulsory education covered the discoveries of Science as discoveries of observed circumstances, and taught the THEORY of evolution as a THEORY.

Precisely.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on July 14, 2021, 11:59:45 AM
My recollection is that lessons covered evolution, and Darwin's observations and findings were part of that. It was similar in Physics lessons where we covered the discoveries — and often replicated the experiments — of people like Faraday, Galvani, Maxwell, etc.
The overwhelming strike against teaching a religion is that it interprets theories as fact without such verification...

I cannot speak for how you were taught

But from 1969 to 1974 my compulsory education covered the discoveries of Science as discoveries of observed circumstances, and taught the THEORY of evolution as a THEORY.

They also taught us that Darwin was a Doctor of Divinity and his place on the Beagle was granted because the Navy wanted him as a source of spiritual strength for the Captain Fitz Roy and his Crew following the suicide of the former captain depressed with his orders. But I guess the cancel culture hates my making that sort of thing known.

You can still read it for yourself of course. Puck up a copy of his journal as released as "the voyages of the Beagle"
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Barry on July 13, 2021, 10:50:37 PM
I'm OK with that. Schools should be able to teach facts. But they teach Darwinism.
My recollection is that lessons covered evolution, and Darwin's observations and findings were part of that. It was similar in Physics lessons where we covered the discoveries — and often replicated the experiments — of people like Faraday, Galvani, Maxwell, etc.
The overwhelming strike against teaching a religion is that it interprets theories as fact without such verification...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

I'm OK with that. Schools should be able to teach facts. But they teach Darwinism.

I see nothing wrong with that after all it was a pretty dandy piece of research at the time. Trouble with scientists is they always think they have found the answer to whatever the question was. Time always proves them slightly out. The problem is when teachers believe that their text books are the be all and end all, and encourage the kids to think so too. Knowledge is always developing and we should be teaching them to have enquiring minds so that they go on to discover new things throughout life. Except of course nothing will help the lads in the back row playing on their phones not prepared to learn much.   ;D

johnofgwent

They teach religion too.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

† The end is nigh †

patman post

Surely the point is that although same sex marriages are legal, like all types of sexuality, they're not promoted in a school context. 
It's my view that religions should be treated in the same way in the state school system — eg, they can be discussed, beliefs respected, but not promoted...

Barry

Quote from: patman post on July 13, 2021, 06:07:22 PM
That's a fine example of a drive-by comment with no substantiation — but if it worries you why not investigate what state guidelines to schools are....

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/283599/sex_and_relationship_education_guidance.pdf
OK, I'll withdraw that on the basis of that document, which states that same sex marriages are OK.
I think this is probably what gets the Muslims going in Birmingham and the more zealous Christians keeping their kids at home.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on July 13, 2021, 04:36:22 PM
Yes Pat, but now the state is teaching trans mythology.

Well, Zeus did give birth to his daughter so however kinky we may be, the Greeks were there two or three thousand years before us.   :)
Algerie Francais !

patman post

That's a fine example of a drive-by comment with no substantiation — but if it worries you why not investigate what state guidelines to schools are....

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/283599/sex_and_relationship_education_guidance.pdf

Barry

Yes Pat, but now the state is teaching - (deleted)
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Barry on July 13, 2021, 10:46:45 AM
Me too. Woe betide anyone that teaches their kids the account of the flood and Noah's Ark. Or the parting of the Red Sea. Or the resurrection.
We have friends that withdrew their kids from school because of them teaching Darwinism as fact, also because of their so called sex education.
I see nothing wrong in studying the tales that any religion offers — I found the Greek and Hindu myths and legends highly entertaining. 

But for a state school to insist that a Religion is taught as fact is, to my mind, just plain wrong. It promotes the idea that pushing propaganda and lies is acceptable, and hides the fact that these are just as much weapons as firearms and explosives, and are also used to advance power in an imperfect world. 

If I had my way, I would have parents have to read and sign a health warning in front of witnesses if they want their children indoctrinated in one religion — even if the school is a yeshiva, madrasa or any other religious domination...

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on July 13, 2021, 01:51:06 PM
Not in my experience.

All of my grandchildren were home educated and by the time they were 11 my daughter felt the need for a break. So she packed them off to various highly recommended state schools, where it was discovered that they were at least two years ahead of the rest of their age group. The local education authority did what it could and came up with endless strategies, but pretty soon the kids were back home.
I'd suggest that finding home-schooled children are ahead of state-schooled pupils is down to failings in teaching and the state system. Two of us were taken out of London schools at about 8 years old and packed off to be schooled in a basically British education system in Guyana. When we returned to the UK for GCSE and A level exams, we were both years ahead of our peers...