Brexit: Views from Boston, Britain's most Eurosceptic town

Started by GBNews, July 08, 2021, 01:00:24 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 11, 2021, 06:28:44 PM
It might have been sensible for Europe to have changed to LHD decades ago as well .  Dont see any problem with dropping the container at the ports and getting it picked up the other side by the locals
The world does not revolve around the UK as we're rapidly discovering. Most of the world's conjoined landmasses are covered by LHD. The rest are unlikely to connect by road. Transferring and swapping containers between trucks may be preferable for some, but most seem to prefer to deliver inland. So it seems to me we'll carry on as we are for some years yet.   
Mind you it was a bugger in Guyana — only one other neighbour on the whole main continent kept left...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 11, 2021, 06:28:44 PM
It might have been sensible for Europe to have changed to LHD decades ago as well .  Dont see any problem with dropping the container at the ports and getting it picked up the other side by the locals

Unaccompanied trailers are commonplace anyway. The problem is the shortage of 60000 LGV driver most of whom used to work in Britain, they left due to the pandemic and due to Brexit Priti Patel won't let them back in.
The consequence of that is apparently empty UK supermarket shelves by Christmas.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on July 11, 2021, 12:40:39 PM
I guess it's because any restriction would attract retaliatory action. It might have been sensible for the UK to have changed to RHD decades ago, just as Sweden did...

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 11, 2021, 07:03:21 AM
Maybe he just keeps one eye on the news

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3070844/Motorway-accidents-involving-foreign-lorries-soared-14-cent-Polish-drivers-topping-crash-league-table.html

Always amazed me in this age of health and safety why ,how and for what possible reason do we allow lorries on our roads with the pilot on the wrong side of the cab
I guess it's because any restriction would attract retaliatory action. It might have been sensible for the UK to have changed to RHD decades ago, just as Sweden did...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 09, 2021, 10:28:54 AM
Really, I merely thought he is a brainwashed Brexiteer.

Maybe he just keeps one eye on the news

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3070844/Motorway-accidents-involving-foreign-lorries-soared-14-cent-Polish-drivers-topping-crash-league-table.html

Always amazed me in this age of health and safety why ,how and for what possible reason do we allow lorries on our roads with the pilot on the wrong side of the cab

patman post

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on July 09, 2021, 07:53:58 AM
Well said Nick. I personally don't buy anything brought here by foreign HGV drivers, not even Scottish or Welsh. Only English HGV drivers have the necessary quality to supply us.
My first emoji  Union Flag

T00ts

I do wonder if the current situation will make our workforce more fluid. During the height of the pandemic all sorts of people joined supermarket deliveries because there was a need. Perhaps as this brave new world adjusts to new ways found during shutdown there will be less dependence on 'magic degrees' and false qualifications when it comes to preparation for employment.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 09, 2021, 10:57:38 AM

They sewed the wind

Sounds like a desperate, albeit it doomed, attempt to cure Pappy's terminal flatulence
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 09, 2021, 10:50:43 AM
Cobblers,you and people like him perpetuate the myththat those who voted Brexit are thick and stupid.

Whilst those who voted remain are  all members of mensa and enlightened paragons of virtue.
Yeah Right  :P

I have NEVER made such comments, the saltimbancos and deipnosophists who disseminated the anti EU propaganda would have made Joseph Goebbels proud.
That people were fooled by such relentless propaganda is not those people's fault.
They sewed the wind and we are all going to suffer the whirlwind.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 09, 2021, 10:44:13 AM
The people who believed and still believe the propaganda were and still are. (Although the gravity of their mistake is dawning on more and more of them.)
Cobblers,you and people like him perpetuate the myththat those who voted Brexit are thick and stupid.

Whilst those who voted remain are  all members of mensa and enlightened paragons of virtue.
Yeah Right  :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 09, 2021, 10:40:44 AM
No a parody and not in the slightest amusing,nobody is brainwashed who voted brexit.

The people who believed and still believe the propaganda were and still are. (Although the gravity of their mistake is dawning on more and more of them.)

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 09, 2021, 10:28:54 AM
No a parody and not in the slightest amusing,nobody is brainwashed who voted brexit.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 09, 2021, 10:05:38 AM
How many times do you need to be told.HB is a WUM......And before you ask that stands for Wind Up Merchant.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 09, 2021, 08:16:55 AM
Really how do you know the nationally of a truck driver when you don't even see the truck let alone the driver.
Frankly your contention is impossible.
How many times do you need to be told.HB is a WUM......And before you ask that stands for Wind Up Merchant.

papasmurf

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on July 09, 2021, 07:53:58 AM
Well said Nick. I personally don't buy anything brought here by foreign HGV drivers, not even Scottish or Welsh. Only English HGV drivers have the necessary quality to supply us.

Really how do you know the nationally of a truck driver when you don't even see the truck let alone the driver.
Frankly your contention is impossible.