Brexit: Views from Boston, Britain's most Eurosceptic town

Started by GBNews, July 08, 2021, 01:00:24 AM

« previous - next »

HallowedBrexit

Quote from: Nick on July 09, 2021, 07:11:15 AM
All supposition.

When people can't do the work they want to due to a pandemic they turn to other work. Whose to say these truck drivers didn't start working at Tesco or the like and decided they liked it?

Yours is a very simplistic view with absolutely nothing to back up the fact that EU drivers went back home. If they did I for one will feel much safer, the quality of the foreign HGV drivers is shocking.

Well said Nick. I personally don't buy anything brought here by foreign HGV drivers, not even Scottish or Welsh. Only English HGV drivers have the necessary quality to supply us.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 09, 2021, 07:11:15 AM
All supposition.

It is fact NOT supposition.  Combination of factors, no driver training during the pandemic, age of drivers, means retirements with no-one to replace them, EU drivers who went back during the pandemic are not being let back in.
It is a crisis and a worsening one.
Even when training gets back up to speed it is impossible to put a newly qualified LGV driver to work without further training, driving is only part of the job.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 08, 2021, 07:57:46 PM
The government is to relax rules this month for how long lorry drivers can work, as a temporary fix for a severe shortage of qualified heavy goods vehicle (HGV) operators.
"We're aware of a shortage of HGV drivers, so I'm announcing a temp extension of drivers' hours rules from Mon. 12 July, giving flexibility to drivers & operators to make slightly longer journeys," the transport secretary, Grant Shapps, wrote in a Twitter post. "We've ramped up the number of driving tests available & will consider other measures."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/07/working-hours-rules-to-be-relaxed-to-ease-uk-lorry-driver-shortage

That will "fix" precisely bugger all.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 08, 2021, 07:38:26 PM
Facts are facts whatever the source.  The driver shortage is real, many logistics companies have 30% of there trucks stood still because of no driver, worker shortages across wide range of activities, all made worse because Priti Patel won't let those EU workers who used to do the work back into Britain.
There will be shortages of goods as well because of it.

All supposition.

When people can't do the work they want to due to a pandemic they turn to other work. Whose to say these truck drivers didn't start working at Tesco or the like and decided they liked it?

Yours is a very simplistic view with absolutely nothing to back up the fact that EU drivers went back home. If they did I for one will feel much safer, the quality of the foreign HGV drivers is shocking.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Driver's hours are, of course, a matter of safety, so I hope that this does not result in an increase in accident rates as drivers lose concentration, or even nod off at the wheel.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

The government is to relax rules this month for how long lorry drivers can work, as a temporary fix for a severe shortage of qualified heavy goods vehicle (HGV) operators.
"We're aware of a shortage of HGV drivers, so I'm announcing a temp extension of drivers' hours rules from Mon. 12 July, giving flexibility to drivers & operators to make slightly longer journeys," the transport secretary, Grant Shapps, wrote in a Twitter post. "We've ramped up the number of driving tests available & will consider other measures."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/07/working-hours-rules-to-be-relaxed-to-ease-uk-lorry-driver-shortage
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 08, 2021, 07:15:49 PM
Channel 4 for fecks sake , left leaning anti Brexit news channel .

Facts are facts whatever the source.  The driver shortage is real, many logistics companies have 30% of there trucks stood still because of no driver, worker shortages across wide range of activities, all made worse because Priti Patel won't let those EU workers who used to do the work back into Britain.
There will be shortages of goods as well because of it.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 08, 2021, 04:00:49 PM
I suspect that is very close to being accurate. Brexit is gradually going tits up and the only accurate reporting seems to be on Channel 4 news.

Channel 4 for fecks sake , left leaning anti Brexit news channel .

Anyway I lived near Boston for a couple of years , nice town , my youngest was born in the local hospital .  The  schools though are shite , one school governor actually admitted to me after I questioned the poor pace of play that  they would rather not educate the kids so they would be available for farm labouring  ?? I kid you not , I gave the house away and moved back to Croydon before the rot set in .
A few of the guys that I got to know down the pub worked the fields though and were on decent money , proper grafters who saw the cheap labour from Europe as a kick in the nuts as their wage stagnated at best and for many decreased

You really cant blame them for voting leave  , they took a hit while  some  got rich on the back of cheap labour . The landowners  have zero sympathy from me that they now find that tap has been turned off .

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 08, 2021, 03:56:38 PM
And the reason for their snails paced reporting must be down to them desperately searching for a credible alternative to the truth before trotting it out.

I suspect that is very close to being accurate. Brexit is gradually going tits up and the only accurate reporting seems to be on Channel 4 news.

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on July 08, 2021, 12:08:05 PM
I don't mind the BBC being anti British. Apart from anything else, most of its woke ridden staff don't realise that the UK exists outside Islington. But as John said, I don't want to pay for Auntie's upkeep. So I don't.

Odd thing. The Beeb's response rate seems really slow. Every morning my neighbour reiterates  the latest headlines from BBC news and I touch my forelock and thank her because, like most Guardian reading followers of the Beeb, she is nice but a terrible snob and so far l have been too polite to mention that I heard it all 24 hours before on the internet.  :) :)

And the reason for their snails paced reporting must be down to them desperately searching for a credible alternative to the truth before trotting it out.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 08, 2021, 08:06:44 AM

After what is it now three weeks ? Of having Andrew Neill's channel, I'd quite forgotten how much the lying, indigenous Brit hating BBC had abandoned those who actually pay the tax that keeps them funded

I am grateful for the reminder if why they need to be defunded.

I don't mind the BBC being anti British. Apart from anything else, most of its woke ridden staff don't realise that the UK exists outside Islington. But as John said, I don't want to pay for Auntie's upkeep. So I don't.

Odd thing. The Beeb's response rate seems really slow. Every morning my neighbour reiterates  the latest headlines from BBC news and I touch my forelock and thank her because, like most Guardian reading followers of the Beeb, she is nice but a terrible snob and so far l have been too polite to mention that I heard it all 24 hours before on the internet.  :) :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 08, 2021, 08:06:44 AM

After what is it now three weeks ? Of having Andrew Neill's channel,

Frankly John I would have thought you were far too intelligent to watch GB news, it appears to be a brain rotting as daytime TV chat shows.

johnofgwent

Quote from: News on July 08, 2021, 01:00:24 AM

Five years after the EU referendum, people in Britain's "Leave" capital give their views on Brexit.

Source: Brexit: Views from Boston, Britain's most Eurosceptic town

After what is it now three weeks ? Of having Andrew Neill's channel, I'd quite forgotten how much the lying, indigenous Brit hating BBC had abandoned those who actually pay the tax that keeps them funded

I am grateful for the reminder if why they need to be defunded.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GBNews

Five years after the EU referendum, people in Britain's "Leave" capital give their views on Brexit.

Source: Brexit: Views from Boston, Britain's most Eurosceptic town