Brexit: Views from Boston, Britain's most Eurosceptic town

Started by GBNews, July 08, 2021, 01:00:24 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 12, 2021, 06:21:55 PM
The problem is still the shortage of drivers in the UK to move them.
Yes. There is still the problem of a driver shortage in the UK. And this is going to be exacerbated if LHD trucks are not allowed to deliver their loads to addresses in the UK — plus swapping trucks will increase delivery times.   
None of that is terminal in the overall scheme of things, but I don't see any benefit from adding to the supply problems already caused by Brexit and Covid...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 12, 2021, 05:41:58 PM
Its not a barrier to trade , just a different way of operating . I just dont see a problem in either using containers or even simply unhitching a trailer at the port .

The problem is still the shortage of drivers in the UK to move them.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on July 12, 2021, 12:22:19 PM
Govt Brexit negotiators have already agreed to and enacted many adverse procedures following Brexit, so I guess them erecting one more barrier to trade is not that far fetched. 
Mrs says she is now noticing empty shelves and a reduced range of goods on some days in local Morrison's and Tesco...

Its not a barrier to trade , just a different way of operating . I just dont see a problem in either using containers or even simply unhitching a trailer at the port .

I wont disagree with the lady of the house posty that some goods are having hold-ups , minor though that they may be . I have personally not been able to buy all my normal shop items .

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 12, 2021, 10:05:30 AM
Its not about the world revolving around the UK its about what is best for us as a Nation . There is nothing stopping us banning LHD vehicles from our roads if we want to
Govt Brexit negotiators have already agreed to and enacted many adverse procedures following Brexit, so I guess them erecting one more barrier to trade is not that far fetched. 
Mrs says she is now noticing empty shelves and a reduced range of goods on some days in local Morrison's and Tesco...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 12, 2021, 11:25:26 AM
Not if its organised properly it wont , but then we will never find out will we .

The driver shortage means it cannot be organised properly, because the Tory government  is will not budge.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 12, 2021, 10:22:30 AM
That will make the empty shelves at supermarkets inevitable.

Not if its organised properly it wont , but then we will never find out will we .

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 12, 2021, 10:31:19 AM
And Smurfy thinks he has one over you Nick.
LGV in this country used to mean light goods vehicle,Brussels decided it meant large goods vehicle what we called HGV heavy goods vehicle and we of course followed suit.

Many people here still describe as above not the Brussels version,smurfy being smurfy adopts an air of superior knowledge. ;)

It has been LGV not HGV for a very long time.
The current and ongoing LGV driver crisis is being made worse by Tory government intransigence about not issuing visas to the EU LGV drivers.

cromwell

And Smurfy thinks he has one over you Nick.
LGV in this country used to mean light goods vehicle,Brussels decided it meant large goods vehicle what we called HGV heavy goods vehicle and we of course followed suit.

Many people here still describe as above not the Brussels version,smurfy being smurfy adopts an air of superior knowledge. ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 12, 2021, 10:05:30 AM
Its not about the world revolving around the UK its about what is best for us as a Nation . There is nothing stopping us banning LHD vehicles from our roads if we want to

That will make the empty shelves at supermarkets inevitable.

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on July 11, 2021, 07:26:18 PM
The world does not revolve around the UK as we're rapidly discovering. Most of the world's conjoined landmasses are covered by LHD. The rest are unlikely to connect by road. Transferring and swapping containers between trucks may be preferable for some, but most seem to prefer to deliver inland. So it seems to me we'll carry on as we are for some years yet.   
Mind you it was a bugger in Guyana — only one other neighbour on the whole main continent kept left...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 12, 2021, 03:49:19 AM
Again, this is just your take on it and the fact you haven't produced any evidence backs that up.

It isn't my take on it, there has been enough comment and information from the logistics industry.
That you don't believe it is your problem.  The shortage of drivers is 60000 LGV (articulated truck drivers.)
Also if you think anyone can do multi-drop work with a 7.5 tonne truck with no experience of the trucks or delivery work you really have no comprehension of what is involved.

Other than that:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-a-van#check-if-you-can-drive-a-van

If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997
You might need to take extra tests before you can:

drive vehicles weighing between 3,500kg and 7,500kg
tow a trailer with your van

Driver shortage, more at this link:-

https://logistics.org.uk/media/press-releases/2021/july/drivers-hours-extension-is-not-the-answer-to-skill

Before the pandemic and Brexit, logistics was already experiencing a shortage of around 76,000 drivers, and Logistics UK now estimates the shortfall to be approximately 90,000 workers.  As Mr Firth continues, the industry is certain that an extension of drivers' hours will not have the required impact and could be detrimental to the existing workforce;

"Existing drivers have been working flat out since the start of the pandemic, and this could be the final straw for many of them. Instead of trying to paper over the gaps, government should be working with industry to produce a plan to support moving drivers through the current bottleneck of HGV driving tests and support potential new entrants to the industry with the expensive process of acquiring a professional driving licence.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on July 09, 2021, 11:25:38 AM
I do wonder if the current situation will make our workforce more fluid. During the height of the pandemic all sorts of people joined supermarket deliveries because there was a need. Perhaps as this brave new world adjusts to new ways found during shutdown there will be less dependence on 'magic degrees' and false qualifications when it comes to preparation for employment.

You never know T00ts, the farmers might start growing things now their subs are temporarily gone. A ridiculous notion I know but you never know ;)
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 09, 2021, 07:46:57 AM
It is fact NOT supposition.  Combination of factors, no driver training during the pandemic, age of drivers, means retirements with no-one to replace them, EU drivers who went back during the pandemic are not being let back in.
It is a crisis and a worsening one.
Even when training gets back up to speed it is impossible to put a newly qualified LGV driver to work without further training, driving is only part of the job.

Again, this is just your take on it and the fact you haven't produced any evidence backs that up.

As for LGV drivers, anyone one over a certain age can drive a 7.5T without any test or training. If you are confident jumping into a 7.5T there is a fair chance you understand the difference between it and a car. As for 'Driving is on part of the job', yep: following a Satnav and fastening a curtain are also aspects, which any decent driver can do.

Lets have some data on where you think these HGV drivers have gone please.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 11, 2021, 07:26:18 PM
The world does not revolve around the UK as we're rapidly discovering.

I realised that about sixty years ago.