Looks like we're beating the EU at footie now

Started by HallowedBrexit, July 08, 2021, 10:42:50 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 09, 2021, 09:57:15 PM
I guess we had best just accept that anyone who is keen to be English has past the test

Sounds good to me.
Algerie Francais !

morayloon

Quote from: cromwell on July 10, 2021, 07:00:57 PM
#Sad and Bitter
Maybe sad but 'bitter' certainly not. We know we have little chance of winning anything. But England should be up there with the Germans, French and Italians. Why the failure? You have crowed about your one success for far too long. The fact that Broadcasting is not a devolved matter means we have to put up with all your crap. I believe channel 4 even showed the 1966 Wembley Final, in colour, yesterday evening. Would the Portuguese willingly accept Spanish propaganda about their 2010 World Cup win? I do not think that very likely. So, why must we put up with the triumphalist, ott braggards who time and again have had to eat their words.
I hope the best team wins and that that team is

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on July 10, 2021, 07:00:57 PM
#Sad and Bitter :P :P :P :P :P

Possibly, but also realistic. In the early stage of this tournament, did not Southgate orchestrate one of the match s to place England in the lower section of the result table, so to have an easier passage ? That is only doable as far as they have now reached.

Italy have an impressive record and England do not.

I shall be otherwise occupied and uninterested in who is the better pigs bladder kicker. But I suspect there may be some unhappy Englishmen around tomorrow night....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on July 09, 2021, 10:56:00 PM
You're not English.
:)

In my case, an accident of birth.

I am a man of Gwent, the embodiment of perfidious Albion, the reason Edward Longshanks wanted all those castles is he didn't trust us further than he could spit.

And as for my take on it ...

"il calcio sta tornando a casa... a roma"
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

The FA has told Sky Sports News HQ [in  August 2016] that looking abroad for players is a relatively new part of its scouting strategy, but does not guarantee foreign-born players will eventually play for the Three Lions. 
In order to be eligible to compete for England, rules state a person has to have lived in the country for at least five years. 
It's also possible that if a person's parents or grandparents were born in England they could potentially be considered.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/10557956/fa-looking-into-foreign-players-eligible-to-play-for-england.

So it seems my opinion was accurate, even if assuming slightly more rigorous conditions than the FA applies.

Strange that if you're that interested you didn't investigate the FA's views for yourself...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 10, 2021, 02:33:57 PM
I did. Picking a few odd words and ignoring the substance of a post gets no one (apart from trolls) anywhere...

I asked a legitimate question which it appears no-one here can answer.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 10, 2021, 02:31:17 PM
answer my question.
I did. Picking a few odd words and ignoring the substance of a post gets no one (apart from trolls) anywhere...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 10, 2021, 02:28:29 PM

So to answer your question, I'd say all of them... 

Your opinion does not answer my question.

papasmurf

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 10, 2021, 01:04:16 PM
How many of the England team are actually English?
Good question. But to answer it there needs to be a definition of English — and there seem to be as many definitions of that as people offering definitions.
My twopence worth is any British person (ie, with or entitled to a British passport) who has largely grown up in England (or with English parents), in English cultures and traditions speaking English. 

So to answer your question, I'd say all of them... 

PS — I'd also add, wanting to identify as English

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on July 10, 2021, 01:12:26 PM
I note the question mark. So you don't know?
They have to be English to play in the team. How's that?
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

How many of the England team are actually English?