Main Menu

Anonymous accounts

Started by Barry, July 12, 2021, 10:31:39 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

I don't doubt there are supposed UK accounts operated from overseas**.  And there are also UK-based political operatives from overseas organisations. Plus there are the local, fully-convinced useful idiots, the trolls, and others who think they're required to try and be amusing. 
But my point was about UK-based posters and trolls as these are the only social media users that the UK authorities have much chance of controlling.   
I accept international and/or state cyber security action might work — there are rumours the REvel ransomware activity has been shutdown (or gone off-line for some other reason) soon after its latest attack hit 1000 businesses:   
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/13/us/politics/russia-hacking-ransomware-revil.html   

But, like your link, I think that's outside the intended scope of this thread...

**(Mrs recently purchased some wiper blades from a supposedly UK-based supplier with a co.uk email and website — it turned out to be in Berlin, took a couple of weeks to arrive and attracted extra cost)
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

You said
Quote from: patman post on July 19, 2021, 02:34:51 PMdoes not necessarily mean the posters  themselves  are outside the UK. Posters who wish to can choose VPNs to identify themselves with almost anywhere, or be untrackable
So I asked if that could go both ways, or in other words foreign actors using VPN's in the UK, my link just proves the fact that where opportunity arises they will be ready. As for the morons in the UK, surely self explanatory.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

∆∆∆ 

Apologies — don't follow that. And the link didn't make the point any clearer...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on July 19, 2021, 02:02:28 PM
The bit that says:   

<< But data from previous monitoring by various bodies indicates that many attacks come from outside the UK >> 

does not necessarily mean the posters  themselves  are outside the UK. Posters who wish to can choose VPNs to identify themselves with almost anywhere, or be untrackable.   

On the swipe against MSM, I remember hearing the point about the abuse directed at the players emanating from overseas several times on at least two radio stations — Times and 5-Live...

Don't that go both ways then and it isn't the first-time foreign actors have used mischief either is it?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/china-accused-of-systematic-cyber-sabotage-by-uk-and-allies/ar-AAMjp6A?ocid=msedgntp
Not that anyone is excusing the actions of a few morons in the UK but then they will always exist unless of course you have a better idea how to deal with them?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

Quote from: Barry on July 13, 2021, 11:21:03 PM
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/english-football-faces-up-global-nature-online-hate-2021-07-13/
The bit that says:   

<< But data from previous monitoring by various bodies indicates that many attacks come from outside the UK >> 

does not necessarily mean the posters  themselves  are outside the UK. Posters who wish to can choose VPNs to identify themselves with almost anywhere, or be untrackable.   

On the swipe against MSM, I remember hearing the point about the abuse directed at the players emanating from overseas several times on at least two radio stations — Times and 5-Live...

patman post

Whatever the cause, different factions take different approaches. Plus the lone trolls and orchestrated troublemakers will always get in on the act.

Personally, I don't think the "others also do it" excuse is any more valid than the  "only acting under orders" excuse was in the past...

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on July 13, 2021, 11:21:03 PM
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/english-football-faces-up-global-nature-online-hate-2021-07-13/

Then why the fesk doesn't our MSM report this instead of taking the gullible population on a guilt trip in pointing the finger at football fans in the UK?

Anonymous accounts were rife during the Brexit debates from the left wing remoaner section pretending to be thick leavers . After the Floyd killing and the attention it brought in America racist comments were attributed to the Trump camp . Its a known tactic of the left wing groups and why we must always take the origin of anonymous comments with a very large pinch of salt .

Ask yesterday how we can change Racist UK .com a commentator yesterday on the radio said it would never change without a change in government . 
This is the game we are in , the maxists have  not been able to arrest the tilt to the right so are now on a campaign using the populations own sympathies to gain power and whats easier than to use  racism . To use racism means they need to keep race front and centre of the agenda and what better way than to be racist (anon of course ) at every opportunity ?

Barry

QuoteThe Premier League's data from their monitoring of abuse against players has shown that around 70% of cases involve abuse coming from social media users outside of the United Kingdom, a league source told Reuters on Tuesday.

† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

I dont think anyone is saying we have to put our names up on our posts (though I have done and dont really have a problem with it ) but that the service provider knows who we are .

As for the racist abuse Im keeping my powder dry .  Probably a few idiots and those who benefit from keeping the race issue at the top of the agenda are responsible . If every post and tweet was traceable it would stop in a heartbeat

patman post

If I have understood the main proposal correctly it doesn't call for each post on forums like this to carry the poster's true name and address. But what it does recommend is that, in order to post, each poster must first have lodged verifiable info — of who they are and where they can be contacted — with the forum's owners. 

I have no problem giving my name and address (or some other means of tracing me) to management here, on the understanding that it is confidential and that the forum shall be held responsible for any breach of sensitive information.   

It's already possible for the authorities to trace me, should they wish to, from the info POL-TICS.COM has on me as many posts are made from a domestic account and I don't use a VPN...

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on July 13, 2021, 10:41:08 AM

However, on Twitter and Facebook I am my own proper name. I'm very careful what I post there. More careful than I am here.

That is an interesting point about Facebook. I have an account and on a couple of occasions have suggested that the Tories were not the anti Christ and my God, you would think that I had pissed in the sink. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course, but few of the leftie academics on the site have any real respect for working class culture, so they flounce off and swear that they are going to defriend me.

On the whole, academics strike me as massively incurious.
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on July 13, 2021, 09:24:18 AM

This idea that taking away internet anonymity will stop trolling and abuse is a myth and it has shown to be a myth many a time.

And indeed, should we bother?

At the risk of repeating myself, the only justified response to online abuse is eat shit C@@@. To my way of thinking the problem is not a few high words, but the increasing wimpification of modern society that demands we all be led through life's little ups and downs.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

There's some good points been made.
I've got mixed feelings. I use a false name on here and the email account I use does not identify me.
On another forum, which I own, everyone knows who I am and they have links to 3 of our websites, which show pictures of myself and the Mrs.
However, on Twitter and Facebook I am my own proper name. I'm very careful what I post there. More careful than I am here.
Not that I would deliberately post anything false or illegal here, but because Twitter seem to be paranoid about deleting people who are against the government and sometimes Marxist narratives that they seem to support, relentlessly.

Like Cromwell, if I have to identify myself here, I would rather delete my account along with every post!

It doesn't hurt to remind people that no one is truly anonymous on the Internet. When you start up a new computer there is a screen which says "Information sent over the Internet may be seen by other people - Continue?" which we all accept.
They mean it.

† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on July 13, 2021, 10:11:22 AM
Yep got that right there Thomas as on another thread where the media hyped it all up.

Of course I wanted England to win but the reality s as a national side we aren't as good as made out,there were of course a lot of people tuned in who know nowt about football and swallowed all the crap.

The fact is no proffesional player should miss a penalty......but they do and to criticise their performance isn't racist unless they are described in those terms.

They aren't heroes either,those in the premier league get paid incredible sums of money with lucrative add ons too.

Heroes is too readily used by the media and any true hero s someone who puts their life on the line in an act that could cost their life to preserve others.

England are a good team but the reality is as we both know they are no where near being the greats the media hyped them up to be.

Then when they failed ,the media created a new tragedy farce out of missing penalties and racism from the usual idiots.

People are fucking sheep . No wonder politicians despise us and look down on us who are so easily led and manipulated.

300 grand a week some of these cants are getting for kicking a feckin baw about and bleating some idiot called them names .

The whole thing is farcical.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on July 13, 2021, 09:24:18 AM

Barry we have had this very same topic come up over the years on the old forum time and again.

I remember it being brought up back in the days when Greg lance Watkins posted on the original form.

This idea that taking away internet anonymity will stop trolling and abuse is a myth and it has shown to be a myth many a time.

You only need to go on Facebook where people for the most part post under real names to see what rubbish this myth is.........the abuse is worse on my Facebook timeline than on forums like this.

I already post under my real name on this forum as have many others in the past. Doesn't stop debate getting heated and the opposite is also true. People who post anonymously can be some of the politest online.

You are dealing with people ,and as I real life people can have all manner of characteristics online as off.

It's a nonsense. Trolling and abuse won't stop due to lack of anonymity.

As for racist abuse of these football players obviously this is wrong in this case but I agree with cromwells posts that the idea football players are shrinking violets being regularly abused online is cac. Many love to dish it out  as take it I remember incidents like Gascogne trying to inflame Celtic fans by imitating playing the "orange" flute and of course if time and memory allowed many many more.

Years later I have seen Gascogne and all his personal problems being abused online by Celtic fans with long memories.
Yep got that right there Thomas as on another thread where the media hyped it all up.

Of course I wanted England to win but the reality s as a national side we aren't as good as made out,there were of course a lot of people tuned in who know nowt about football and swallowed all the crap.

The fact is no proffesional player should miss a penalty......but they do and to criticise their performance isn't racist unless they are described in those terms.

They aren't heroes either,those in the premier league get paid incredible sums of money with lucrative add ons too.

Heroes is too readily used by the media and any true hero s someone who puts their life on the line in an act that could cost their life to preserve others.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?